Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't count the J8 one, its an excuse of a thing, J3 is ok but could be much better.

I've always said if they want a massive cash cow, put one on the M50 where the unbuilt J8 would have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

J14 used to be the best... is it just overloaded now?

It is a bit silly how they're doing this, but apart from all the private ones, official MSAs between Dublin and Galway... at Enfield, soon east of Athlone, then at Oranmore. A bit weird since the M7 and M8 corridors don't have ANY official ones. Daft order of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

D Trent wrote: »
    Listening to 2fm and Today fm nearly all day this week and one of the most prominent ads on then stations are one for Topaz/Supermac's Ballacolla J3

Obviously aren't doing as well as predicted or as they'd like

So if a company advertises heavily its business must be going badly?

Better tell that to Apple, Coca Cola and McDonald's...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So if a company advertises heavily its business must be going badly?

Better tell that to Apple, Coca Cola and McDonald's...

I'd say there's something in what the OP is saying...I was in it a while back during the day and it was quiet, I reckon not many people know it's there, certainly not like the "Barack Obama Plaza" which has had a huge profile and everyone now knows where it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

road_high wrote: »
    I'd say there's something in what the OP is saying...I was in it a while back during the day and it was quiet, I reckon not many people know it's there, certainly not like the "Barack Obama Plaza" which has had a huge profile and everyone now knows where it is!

They should call the other one after Donald Trump.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=97267&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

Tender has gone out for Ground Investigation for the new Tranche 4 MSAs on the M3 and the M6 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Any sign of that Service Area at Kilcullen opening? The overbridge is a year old now...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Any sign of that Service Area at Kilcullen opening? The overbridge is a year old now...

It's linked to the high court action between Dennis O'Brien and Applegreen, just like the Gorey one!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    It's linked to the high court action between Dennis O'Brien and Applegreen, just like the Gorey one!

O'Brien no longer owns Topaz.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    O'Brien no longer owns Topaz.

True actually, but the point remains: These MSA's are still held up pending the legal action between the two entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

They should call the other one after Donald Trump.

Trump Dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Thinking more like Dump Trump...............

I mustn't have been paying attention here....today started to get very low on fuel passing Carlow and was wondering what to do when I saw signs for a new "services" at Paulstown (J6....still not on openstreetmap).

Excellent location and a very good Applegreen - stark contrast to the rather pathetic effort at J3 on the M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I mustn't have been paying attention here....today started to get very low on fuel passing Carlow and was wondering what to do when I saw signs for a new "services" at Paulstown (J6....still not on openstreetmap).

Excellent location and a very good Applegreen - stark contrast to the rather pathetic effort at J3 on the M8.

Is it as good as the "offline" Applegreen in Cullenmore in Wicklow? I was very impressed with that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mod:

Lads, please compare offline service areas in the offline thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056007577

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Is it as good as the "offline" Applegreen in Cullenmore in Wicklow? I was very impressed with that!

No - not that good.

But the Cullenmore setting is hard to beat!

marno21 wrote: »
    Mod:

Lads, please compare offline service areas in the offline thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056007577

Apologies Mod - I didn't even realise Paulstown was "offline" :confused:

Now that I think of it.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99280553&postcount=196

Confirmation that an MSA will be built on the new M28 from Cork to Ringaskiddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

has there been any judgement on the service stations which are the subject of court action ?

BoatMad wrote: »
    has there been any judgement on the service stations which are the subject of court action ?

Not by the look of the tumbleweed blowing around the Kilcullen over-bridge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any update of the opening of the Gorey services on the m11? Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

vicwatson wrote: »

Stuck in court limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

vicwatson wrote: »

I dont believe the case has reached judgement. If apple green win, then TII will have to re tender the whole process again anyway.

2017 ?

appelgreen of course have a clear vested interest in not solving the case quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

For anyone in the dark like me this is from January mind -

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/empty-m11-rest-stop-costs-16k-a-month-34378667.html

€16,000.00 per month to the taxpayer while it carries on.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100040&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Tender gone out today for M6/M17/M18 MSA ground investigation contract.

Can't understand why there's so much force behind getting this open. It's very close to Galway, and a major service area opened at J16 there not too long ago.

Any update on the M6/M9/M11 MSAs?

MEMBERS of Clare County Council have questioned plans for a new online motorway service area, claiming it could have a negative impact on businesses in Newmarket and Shannon.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/concerns-over-motorway-service-area/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...that nobody goes in to anyway. The MSAs generate new food business - all they can possibly take away is minuscule margin fuel business.

While the utter crapness of the MSA in question probably makes this unique, the franchiser in Mother Hubbards in Cashel told me that the fake-MSA opening there actually increased their trade - people tried to use the MSA and couldn't park!

In all my half a million km+ long distance driving I can give one single example of somewhere the motorway network stopped me going to - Mother Hubbards Oranmore N6 as it was so far offline - and none that the MSAs stopped. Whereas the Castlebellingham MSA probably had more of an impact on my local newsagent in Maynooth stopping me grabbing breakfast there!

Advertisement