Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Private developments are making these NRA ones irrelevant. I'm sure we'll see something private go up on the M11 south some place, while this continues to be left to rot. Criminal wastage of state funding for nothing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Another service area due southbound at the Beehive Pub. Applegreen objecting to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Another service area due southbound at the Beehive Pub. Applegreen objecting to that too.

There really needs to be some form of penalty for "objections" that are such transparent, bare-faced efforts to delay the opening of competition.

Some basic requirement for serious grounds for an objection, and if a basic threshold isn't met, and the objector is found to have a material benefit from a delay in a development, then penalties can be imposed.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    There really needs to be some form of penalty for "objections" that are such transparent, bare-faced efforts to delay the opening of competition.

Some basic requirement for serious grounds for an objection, and if a basic threshold isn't met, and the objector is found to have a material benefit from a delay in a development, then penalties can be imposed.

Its a ridiculous set up in general, anyone with 20 euro can object and potentially delay/cancel a development based on the most frivolous of reasons. Chancers looking for a payday to withdraw their objections. A hotel/residential/commercial development aimed at revitalizing a still dilapidated Arklow town centre was ultimately ditched due to some questionable objections. People from a salt of the earth/lovely part of town, living not even within earshot/eyeline of proposal were concerned where the bats were going to nest if the development went ahead. By the time appeals/objections were heard, we had the crash, said developer went bust and site has devalued by over 90% since.

Its a ridiculous set up in general, anyone with 20 euro can object and potentially delay/cancel a development based on the most frivolous of reasons. Chancers looking for a payday to withdraw their objections. A hotel/residential/commercial development aimed at revitalizing a still dilapidated Arklow town centre was ultimately ditched due to some questionable objections. People from a salt of the earth/lovely part of town, living not even within earshot/eyeline of proposal were concerned where the bats were going to nest if the development went ahead. By the time appeals/objections were heard, we had the crash, said developer went bust and site has devalued by over 90% since.

Like it or loathe it, the ability for anyone to object to proposed developments plays a vital and important role in planning in Ireland.

There will always be someone pissed because something was objected to but that's the system.

Like it or loathe it, the ability for anyone to object to proposed developments plays a vital and important role in planning in Ireland.

There will always be someone pissed because something was objected to but that's the system.

Im all for democracy but its a system that's seriously abused for often selfish/financial gain. Legitimate complainants would have no problem paying a higher fee(eg 100 euro) and thus eliminate alot of the messers. It costs more to run in an election (500 euro deposit last time I checked) which is hardly equitable in giving "joe soap" a voice but hey that's the "system".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Unbelievable that the M6/9/11 case, admitted to the "fast-track" (:rolleyes:) Commercial Court over a year and a half ago, is still not resolved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Minor point but it bothers me when photos of UK motorways are used to accompany articles about roads in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

serfboard wrote: »
    Unbelievable that the M6/9/11 case, admitted to the "fast-track" (:rolleyes:) Commercial Court over a year and a half ago, is still not resolved.

Apt that you mentioned it after the discussion of frivolous planning objections. Regardless of the judge's final decision an 18 month delay is as good as a victory for Applegreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭blackwhite

radharc wrote: »
    Apt that you mentioned it after the discussion of frivolous planning objections. Regardless of the judge's final decision an 18 month delay is as good as a victory for Applegreen.

A cynic might think that was the primary reason for the objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

blackwhite wrote: »
    A cynic might think that was the primary reason for the objection.

You think :pac:

This is because , I suspect , Applegreen is dragging its heels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like a settlement has been finally reached.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/forecourt-firms-end-legal-fight-over-service-stations-35687623.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic stuff. Hopefully the M11 one can open before summers end and the other two by the turn of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great. Get those built then build one on the M8 already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

So I presume all three will be Topaz?

Does anyone know

If its Topaz presumably its McDonald's as a tenant like their other stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd be surprised if the M6 station turns out to be a McDonald's seeing as it's in such close proximity to Kilmartins off Junction 8.

If its Topaz presumably its McDonald's as a tenant like their other stations?

strangely the rumour in Gorey is the development at Tesco includes a McDonalds, I can hardly see two Mickys Ds in the immediate areas being useful

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So what are the next likely online motorway service areas to open? Moate, Gorey and Kilcullen in that order?

Will they have fast food offerings? Burger King or McDonalds or Supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I know TII are planing a MSA on the M3 somewhere between navan and clonee but I am very surprised no private party's have attempted to open an offline one either around Navan or at whitgate at the end of the N3 Dual carriageway. I am on that road at least twice a week and when you start at white gate the next place to get a coffee is the M3 Maxol. That traffic is mental and there is diffently business to be had, Could anyone see a private place opening?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So what are the next likely online motorway service areas to open? Moate, Gorey and Kilcullen in that order?

Tranche 1: Lusk (M1), Castlebellingham (M1), Enfield (M4)
    Tranche 2: Moate (M6), Kilcullen (M9), Gorey (M11)
    Tranche 3: Ringaskiddy (M28), Foynes (M21/M?69)
    Tranche 4: Dunshaughlin (M3), Athenry (M6/M17/M18), Newmarket-on-Fergus (M18) - www.t4msa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

marno21 wrote: »
    Tranche 4: Dunshaughlin (M3), Athenry (M6/M17/M18), Newmarket-on-Fergus (M18) - www.t4msa.ie

Public consultation on controversial M6 services area
    http://connachttribune.ie/date-set-for-public-consultation-on-controversial-m6-service-station-006/
    "
    The pre-planning public consultation session will take place at the Oranmore Lodge Hotel from 4.30pm to 8pm on Thursday, June 8 (2017).
    "

marno21 wrote: »
    Tranche 1: Lusk (M1), Castlebellingham (M1), Enfield (M4)
    Tranche 2: Moate (M6), Kilcullen (M9), Gorey (M11)
    Tranche 3: Ringaskiddy (M28), Foynes (M21/M?69)

YET STILL NOTHING FOR THE BLOOMING M8!!!

I keep saying it on this thread, but my god what do they have against an official service area at Fermoy and maybe another one in and around Naas (Ok M7 but still the Cork - Dublin corridor).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

JupiterKid wrote: »

Well Burger King is going into the new Applegreen in Gorey, so I would guess it's a McD's going into the Topaz in the m11 service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

YET STILL NOTHING FOR THE BLOOMING M8!!!

I keep saying it on this thread, but my god what do they have against an official service area at Fermoy and maybe another one in and around Naas (Ok M7 but still the Cork - Dublin corridor).

Fermoy is too near Cork and Naas is too near Dublin. What is needed is a PROPER on-line motorway service station on each side of the motorway - like the big Applegreen ones on the M1. This needs to be somewhere between Cullahill and Cashel - in other words about mid way between Dublin and Cork and directly ON the motorway on each side.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but maybe the very middle (Culahill etc) may not have the numbers. Maybe close to the M7/8 split?

Advertisement