Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If it really was that much of a no-brainer, I'm sure they would have done that. There must be other issues involved that we're not aware of - eg planning issues, cost-effectiveness analysis, etc.

They don't have to build a flyover with a dual sided layout. It's probably way cheaper to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

I know I will be accused of snobbery, but it's depressing that so many of the restaurants opening in all these service areas are unhealthy high fat / high sugar fast food venues like McDonalds and Burger King. OK you can get coffee and snacks in the shop areas, but this is very limited.
    Here in the UK a lot of MSA's have an M&S or Waitrose food alternative (as well as burger joints) where the quality is hugely better than McDs or BK, and not an awful lot more expensive. I wonder will M&S ever bid for MSA's in Ireland ?
    Surely not everyone wants unhealthy food when driving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

They don't have to build a flyover with a dual sided layout. It's probably way cheaper to build.

Ah i doubt that. Sure the MSAs with only the 1-sided jobs are there for lower trafficked places. Surely theyre the ones who would penny pinch more.

VR6 wrote: »
    I know I will be accused of snobbery, but it's depressing that so many of the restaurants opening in all these service areas are unhealthy high fat / high sugar fast food venues like McDonalds and Burger King. OK you can get coffee and snacks in the shop areas, but this is very limited.
    Here in the UK a lot of MSA's have an M&S or Waitrose food alternative (as well as burger joints) where the quality is hugely better than McDs or BK, and not an awful lot more expensive. I wonder will M&S ever bid for MSA's in Ireland ?

Any I've been in had a fast food option but they also had a cafe (e.g. Costa) and a regular dinner section that did soup, sandwiches etc too

Which one were you in that doesn't have a similar setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Any I've been in had a fast food option but they also had a cafe (e.g. Costa) and a regular dinner section that did soup, sandwiches etc too

Which one were you in that doesn't have a similar setup?

Costa Coffee is hardly healthy...nor is the rubbish served in those "regular dinner sections".

It's all overpriced junk that I wouldn't feed to animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Costa Coffee is hardly healthy...nor is the rubbish served in those "regular dinner sections".

Potatoes , carrots etc are " junk " ???

Overpriced is par for any MSA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Steelwork is going up at the new services on the M8 at J14 Fermoy.

Patww79 wrote: »

If you're looking five star then I'd skip the service stations.[/quote]

Five star? No.

Edible, reasonably priced food that isn't full of salt and sugar?

Yes.

Not asking for much...

BoatMad wrote: »

Potatoes , carrots etc are " junk " ???

Overpriced is par for any MSA
    The ones they sell certaiy are..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

And ideally, people shouldn't be relying on MSAs as their main source of nutrition! I think there's been a pretty decent range of choice at any proper Irish MSA I've been to.

Oh give over. They charge a reasonable price for a reasonable dinner. Is it fine dining, no. Is it organic, unlikely. Is it perfectly edible, of course. It's basically the equivalent of a carvery dinner you get in the local pub on a Sunday.

What you are looking for, nobody will pay for at a MSA. What you are looking for is a dinner at twice the price.

Oh give over. They charge a reasonable price for a reasonable dinner. Is it fine dining, no. Is it organic, unlikely. Is it perfectly edible, of course. It's basically the equivalent of a carvery dinner you get in the local pub on a Sunday.

What you are looking for, nobody will pay for at a MSA. What you are looking for is a dinner at twice the price.

I will not "give over", thank you very much.

What I am looking for is an edible, reasonably healthy meal at a reasonable price.

This is not what we are offered in most MSAs.

Unless you are made of money and don't care what rubbish you eat, then I do not understand your incomprehension of this very basic set of facts.

Or own one of them, yourself.

Depends. To most people, the salt and sugar are what makes the food nice.
    And ideally, people shouldn't be relying on MSAs as their main source of nutrition! I think there's been a pretty decent range of choice at any proper Irish MSA I've been to.

What about lorry drivers etc?
    Most of them are up in the middle of the night and have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I think the apple greens have gone down hill especially Enfield but I've found the maxols very good between the Delie and chopped( I know technically they aren't MSA's)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

it's depressing that so many of the restaurants opening in all these service areas are unhealthy high fat / high sugar fast food venues like McDonalds and Burger King. OK you can get coffee and snacks in the shop areas, but this is very limited
    What I am looking for is an edible, reasonably healthy meal at a reasonable price.
    I'm going to give a shout out to a place I ate in just last Friday (disclaimer: I have no personal or business relationship/interest).

Pulling into Applegreen @ Enfield on the M4 heading West, I too was looking for something other than Burger King, when I spotted, next to the "normal" restaurant that's there (Bakewell?) an outlet called "Freshii". Decided to give it a go and it was fantastic! Fresh food in a wrap, and you can have meat, or go veggie (or even vegan, I'd guess) - falafel, avocados, all the trendy "superfoods" are there!

I decided to look it up while writing this post, and it turns out that it's a Canadian chain (presumably operating under franchise here).

I would definitely recommend it as a healthy alternative.

Having said that, I washed it down with a Milkshake from Burger King :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Depends. To most people, the salt and sugar are what makes the food nice.
    I worked on the original M1 & M4 ones - for the 6 weeks of commissioning back, where we were trying to hand over 2 every fortnight, I dutifully helped BK test their cooking abilities in each - definitely don't want to rely on them for nutrition or you end up fat!

anyine know whats happening to the Gorey MSA, dont see any activity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

anyine know whats happening to the Gorey MSA, dont see any activity

Can't see this being ready for December.... I say it will be next year now.

The building has been completed for 2 years at least now. It's just a shell. pumps are there, but no one is home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

raydator wrote: »
    Can't see this being ready for December.... I say it will be next year now.
    The last update was early 2018

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104340044&postcount=1061

jd wrote: »

hmmm. cant see why the " enniscorthy " comment was made in that thread, M!! extension will have little effect on volume at Gorey MSA,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

hmmm. cant see why the " enniscorthy " comment was made in that thread, M!! extension will have little effect on volume at Gorey MSA,

There are a number of service stations between Oylegate and Gorey, I'm not so sure the MSA would get huge business before the new section is opened.

jd wrote: »
    There are a number of service stations between Oylegate and Gorey, I'm not so sure the MSA would get huge business before the new section is opened.

I dont think it will be a busy MSA, The m11 south of Arklow is very quiet

• Advertisement

I live local and you can easily see the whole site from the local access bridge just before the main entrance bridge for the station.

I take a look every 2-3 weeks for activity.

Advertisement