Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

BoatMad wrote: »
    I dont think it will be a busy MSA, The m11 south of Arklow Gorey is very quiet
    South of Arklow has 19K AADT, with up to 22K on some Fridays.

South of Gorey has 8.5K AADT with up to 10K on Fridays, and is indeed very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

serfboard wrote: »
    South of Arklow has 19K AADT, with up to 22K on some Fridays.

South of Gorey has 8.5K AADT with up to 10K on Fridays, and is indeed very quiet.

It's a good spot to put it. It'll catch all the day trippers and weekenders to North Wexford seaside area and is a sort of half way point along the M11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are 2 MSAs (offline yes) on the M7 west of the M8 turn off where it gets quieter, and both are well able to stay afloat especially the Barack Obama Plaza which is often very very busy.

With the new M11 opening as far as Oilgate and further improvements coming down the line further south it should be well able to be viable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Oral hearings on the three MSAs planned online (M18 Newmarket-on-Fergus, M3 Dunshauglin and M6/M17/M18 Oranmore) for Q4 2017 with decisions due in early 2018 on all three.

M3 & M6/M17/M18 planned for 2019 completion; M18 planned for 2020 completion

www.t4msa.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

marno21 wrote: »
    Oral hearings on the three MSAs planned online (M18 Newmarket-on-Fergus, M3 Dunshauglin and M6/M17/M18 Oranmore) for Q4 2017 with decisions due in early 2018 on all three.

M3 & M6/M17/M18 planned for 2019 completion; M18 planned for 2020 completion

www.t4msa.ie

That's good news, but what about the unopened MSAs on the M9 and M11? I thought the court action that delayed these facilities was resolved, but nothing seems to be happening yet on the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That's good news, but what about the unopened MSAs on the M9 and M11? I thought the court action that delayed these facilities was resolved, but nothing seems to be happening yet on the ground.
    Email from TII:

“Thank you for your email of 5 November 2017 regarding the Tranche 2 motorway service areas. The position in relation to your enquiry is as follows.

Following the resolution of the procurement challenge to this contract award, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) has resumed negotiations with the preferred bidder. TII is working with the preferred bidder on all of the documentation which is required to close this contract award. It is likely that the contract will be signed by TII early in 2018, and that construction works would commence on site around the middle of 2018, allowing for the Design Period. It is estimated that the construction period for the service areas on the M6 at Athlone and M9 at Kilcullen would be approximately 12 to 15 months for full completion, however, the Gorey service area is expected to be completed within 3 to 4 months.”

Construction of M9 station to start "mid 2018" at the earliest

The shambles continues

http://kfmradio.com/news/07122017-0752/m9-service-station-contract-could-be-signed-early-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

marno21 wrote: »
    Construction of M9 station to start "mid 2018" at the earliest

The shambles continues

http://kfmradio.com/news/07122017-0752/m9-service-station-contract-could-be-signed-early-2018

Completely crazy all right. At this point one wonders is this station even necesasry although since the infrastructure has been put in place it might as well be completed.

At this point I either stop at one of the stations on N7 or the new unofficial Applegreen at Junction 7 (which is excellent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Jayuu wrote: »
    Completely crazy all right. At this point one wonders is this station even necesasry although since the infrastructure has been put in place it might as well be completed.

At this point I either stop at one of the stations on N7 or the new unofficial Applegreen at Junction 7 (which is excellent).

New? That's at least 2 years old. The new one is the Topaz/McDonald's station at Junction 5 (which is better again).

Agree there is absolutely no need for the Kilcullen one to proceed now. I saw a quote from TII last week saying that their plan for official MSA's forced the petrol companies to improve their off-line services. Surely the whole point was that the offline sites should never have received planning. But given where we are now, they should absolutely pull the plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Anyone else think instead of an MSA they should build a properly planned and organised town at this overbridge, with all utilities on site? About 2500 housing units?

EDIT-Oh I forgot the most important part; while they're doing it demolish Athy

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Why are the NRA/TII unable to have the MSAs delivered with the motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

ezra_ wrote: »
    Why are the NRA/TII unable to have the MSAs delivered with the motorways?
    Ara would you go away with your sensible ideas ... this is Ireland, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Back in the day it was decided we didn't need MSAs and the motorways were planned without them. When they were finishing up the motorways, it was suddenly decided we DID need them afterall. We've been playing catchup ever since. Then the debacle with Gorey, Athlone and Kilcullen.

And my pet hate that even in Tranche 3, there is still absolutely no plan whatsoever, or even a hint-of-a-plan for an MSA on the M8. Its ridiculous.

To be fair, the M1 MSAs are fantastic, as is the one the M7.

For some reason, I really dislike the Barrack O'Bama one, that 50m off line road I have drive really frustrates me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The M1 MSAs are the best but need a bit of TLC. They're looking a touch rough around the edges.

The best ones are the ones at Lisburn. Lovely quiet upstairs area as well, but not quite as big.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To be fair, the M1 MSAs are fantastic, as is the one the M7.

For some reason, I really dislike the Barrack O'Bama one, that 50m off line road I have drive really frustrates me

None of the MSAs on the M7 are TII MSAs. All three are privately built.

None of the MSAs on the M7 are TII MSAs. All three are privately built.

The one near Dublin seems to be the same spec as the M1 ones, albeit only on one side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The one near Dublin seems to be the same spec as the M1 ones, albeit only on one side.

It's good, but it's private. The TII ones have their own slips and aren't built at junctions.

Patww79 wrote: »

I just realised I meant the M4, not M7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I just realised I meant the M4, not M7.

We still don't know which one your on about ?
    Applegreen m4 Enfield?
    There's one each side of carriageway there right opposite one another

D Trent wrote: »
    We still don't know which one your on about ?
    Applegreen m4 Enfield?
    There's one each side of carriageway there right opposite one another

Yes, the Enfield one. I never knew there was one going south-bound.

• Advertisement

Here's all the TII official, online motorway service areas:

Tranche 1:

Lusk (M1) both sides
    Castlebellingham (M1) both sides
    Enfield (M4) both sides

Tranche 2:

Gorey (M11) single sided
    Kilcullen (M9) single sided
    Moate/Athlone (M6) single sided

Tranche 3:

Foynes (M21/N69/Nxx) - tbc
    Ringaskiddy (M28) - single operation