Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which Weather Station??

Options
  • 11-12-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I want to get my boyfriend a Weather Station for his birthday and have no idea which one to buy, where, or if the english ones even work in ireland??????
    I was looking at weathershop.co.uk at a wireless weather stationsbut dont know???? My budget is about 200 euro?????
    Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/certificates.html is probably the best bet. He may want a higher end model and the gift certificate for €200 would help out great if he wanted to add a few more €€€ for the high end gear - it depends really on how enthusiastic he is. Some of the guys on here have spent several hundreds of euro and a few of us have breached the €1000 mark for equipment - but then again we're stone mad! :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanks for your help,
    My Boyfriend is not a huge weather buff, this is a new hobby, you could say he is a learner. Do the weather stations on the above web site work ok in ireland??? I am somewhat nervous about getting in the UK.

They will work here and as far as I know that website is safe to order from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Was over in the UK just now and Maplins are doing a reasonable one reduced from £145 to £70. Checked in Maplin Limerick, €70114. Nothing special but one to consider from bricks & mortar.

Will get you details soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I got my hands the £70 station by mail order from the UK. I haven't set it up yet but I'm looking forward to it...:D

• Advertisement

Great to see all the enquiries about weather stations on this forum. Hopefully it will all work out well for everyone and maybe we will see more members join http://irelandsweather.com/ to put data on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Maplins UK deliver to ireland for a reasonable fee.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223254

UK = £69.99
    Limerick = €114
    Delivered from UK = £82.73 (€92.35)

Mr.Boots wrote: »

Transmission distance~: up to 30M (98 feet) in an open area on 433MHz
    Thats a bit poor and probably not suitable for a lot of people.
    The PDF says 100m.
    PDF wrote:
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Indoor Temperature : 0 C to + 50 C (+32 F to +122 F)
    Outdoor Temperature : -20 C to +60 C (-4 F to +140 F)
    Temperature Resolution : 0.1 degree C
    Indoor & Outdoor Humidity : 20% - 99% RH
    Humidity Resolution : 1% RH
    Channel for Temp & Humidity : maximum 3
    Wind speed range : 0 – 30m/s
    : 0 – 108 km/h
    : 0 – 67 mph
    : 0 – 58.3 knot
    : 0 - 11 Beaufort
    Rain Gauge reading : 0 – 9999 mm
    : 0 – 393.66 inch
    Transmission (Anemometer) : up to 100M (228 feet) in open area, RF434 MHz
    Transmission (Rain Gauge) : up to 30M (98 feet) in open area, RF434 MHz
    Clock : DCF77 Radio-Controlled, Quartz back-up
    Power : 6.0V adapter & AA x 3 pieces for the monitor
    : AA x 2 pieces for anemometer
    : AA x 2 pieces for rain gauge

Also

Wind Speed Range 0 to 67 mph

Would max out for me a few times a year just as things get interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

ch750536 wrote: »
    Maplins UK deliver to ireland for a reasonable fee.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223254

UK = £69.99
    Limerick = €114
    Delivered from UK = £82.73 (€92.35)

My credit card was only charged the Euro eqivalent of £73.95 Stg, which includes delivery. Apparently Maplins remove the UK VAT from the retail price and then charge VAT on it at the Irish rate (21.5%)

By the way, mine is http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223254 and not the one above

• Advertisement

Have you opened the box & taken a look yet?

Make & Model would be good also.

Santa may get me one very soon if yours is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I want one too but I want one that I can use to auto update a website, anyone got a good model not too costly they can recommend?

Villain wrote: »
    I want one too but I want one that I can use to auto update a website, anyone got a good model not too costly they can recommend?

The one above does this

''Easyweather'' software included to link to PC via USB

This one. Just waiting for more details. Will not be a great piece of kit but hoping it is good enough for the price.

so http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223254

Would be pretty ok and would allow me to use WeatherDisplay Live Premium with it?

Thanks

Ok I searched the software site and it says it supports the the WH1081PC USB station "Fine Offset" but the model number for the one on Maplin is WH1080??

Seems you found the station model, review of it here.

Overall positive reviews

Software for free too here

Danno wrote: »
    Great to see all the enquiries about weather stations on this forum. Hopefully it will all work out well for everyone and maybe we will see more members join http://irelandsweather.com/ to put data on the map.

Danno is there restrictions on what stations or software will work with the site above?

From the site:
    If you have a personal weather website using a personal weather station running Weather Display, VWS, or WeatherLink software

I would be amazed if it didn't work with some compatible software as all the data is stored as a CSV file.

You may have to pay something though.

Maybe Danno can take a look at this to see if it is suitable?

That free software is very very good! Does everything Weatherlink does!

Cheers Danno much difference to WeatherDisplay Live Premium, i.e would I get much more out of it with the station from maplin?

I'm hoping to get it up on running on my website with a webcam too

• Advertisement

Well got the station its up and running, have it on a test site at the min but I've registered a domain for it carlowweather.com so hopefully I'll have that up next week.

I have to say the first thing I noticed which isn't really a weather topic is the indoor temp graphs, the temp is only dropping 2c over night in the house.

I have a trial version of weather display and weather display live running looks good but a lot of stuff to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

ch750536 wrote: »
    From the site:
    If you have a personal weather website using a personal weather station running Weather Display, VWS, or WeatherLink software

I would be amazed if it didn't work with some compatible software as all the data is stored as a CSV file.

You may have to pay something though.

Maybe Danno can take a look at this to see if it is suitable?
    I have one of the station using the Cumulus software on the network. Works fine too.

Looking good lad. I wonder can that software Cumulus work with irelandsweather.com? Snowbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snowbie wrote: »
    I have one of the station using the Cumulus software on the network. Works fine too.
    Ahem
    Danno wrote: »
    Looking good lad. I wonder can that software Cumulus work with irelandsweather.com? Snowbie?
    Just 3 posts back Danno :D

Who wants to use the Cumulus software or who else is using it?

Other half's Dad is getting a present of a weather station from yours truely, so will be setting him up with the Cumulus software. The station will be located at Johnstown, Kilkenny.

Advertisement