Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont pick up broadband

Options
  • 11-12-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Can someone please help me,I have a Iqon laptop its about 3 yrs old.For some reason it wont pick up the broadband it never has unless I have the lead plugged into the Eircom modem.I left it into a computer shop and they done 200euro worth of up grading and other stuff so I presumed it was fixed and you can guess it still not working.I rang eircom sick of talking to these people and they said bring it back to the shop.Can anyone throw some light on this problem still waiting on the computer shop to get back to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What sort of broadband do you have? I'm going to assume you have a wireless DSL router from Eircom.

Does your laptop have a wireless card in it?

Can other devices connect wirelessly to your internet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to Eircom and to other isps the connection problems you are having with your laptop have absolutely nothing to do with them. The bb service obviously works and thats what you are paying them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks for coming back so fast,I have the same laptop and that works fine.but its on its last legs now that why I wanted to have the other one for backup.As for a wireless card I have searched the laptop to see if there is a switch on it and I cant seem to find it but will take it to my dads and see if he can do anything with it.I do understand that its not eircom fault but just thought they could tell me why it wont pick up the connection.I will see if it work somewhere else tomm maybe its just my house.The bloke in the computer shop did say it was working fine in his place so I'm puzzled .Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you don't a wireless card this is the reason you cannot connect via wireless to your home broadband. If you go into control panel and network connections on your PC do you have a wireless adapter or connection mentioned?

Did the guy in the computer shop connect up to wireless or something else?

Do you have the make/model of your PC so maybe someone can try help you check the specs?

Thanks right I went into Network connections and it has 3 iqons two have red X through them and one hasnt.When I click on it its says its connected 400.00mbps and the time is on saying its connected now 5 mins.But down in the bottom of the screen it has X through the wireless network connection and says a network cable is unplugged.The laptop is Iqon 8050 QXX and he upgraded it to 2.0GB.I hope that makes sense:o

• Advertisement

Oh when I was living in an apartment it was fine I could walk all over the place with it.Anyone any suggestion as I what Im doing wrong? Its says connect using client for microsoft network ticked then files and printer ticked and internet protocol ticked. 1394 Net Adapter...

oh when i go into repair wireless Network connection this messages comes up:For assistance,contact the person who manages your network. Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

OK loads of people here can help but we need some information

1) What operating system are you using?
    2) Do you have a cable currently connected from your laptop to the DSL modem?
    3) What colour are the lights on the modem - are any red or off and which are green
    4) Click on "start" then "run" and type in "cmd" without the "" and press enter (assuming XP)
    5) in the black box that comes up type in ipconfig /all and press enter (there is a space after the word config)
    6) Post the results up here

Once we have this we can help you out....

Ok I will give as much info as I can.No i dont have the laptop connect with the cable as it works that way.its eircom internet im using the big computer at the moment,The lights on the modem are green.I done what you said in the black box its says windows IP conf

Host name
    Primary DNs Suffix
    mode type..Unknown
    IP Hosting enable ..No
    Wins Proxy Enable..Yes
    Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection
    Media State..Media disconnected
    Description..realtek RT8139/810X family past ethernet nic
    ethernet adapter wireless network connection
    media state...:Media disconnected
    Description ...intel<R> pro/wireless 2200BG Network connection
    Physical adress....00-16-6F-B4-D3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Check your wireless profiles, verify you're not trying to connect to another network thats out of range (perhaps the computer shop's)

To check for device problems (also assuming XP) ....
    Click Start , Run
    Enter compmgmt.msc and press return.
    Click on Device Manager
    Expand network adaptors.

Check the icon beside your wireless adaptor
    If has red X, then it's disabled; right click and choose Enable.
    If yellow triangle then there may be a problem with the device driver or hardware.

• Advertisement

Thanks Slim but I don't have that expand network adaptor.My head is wreaked now so Im going to bed I will have a look at emails tomorrow when I get in from work.Thanks so much to everyone that has been given me a hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

was the shop ya brought it to reputable, if the wireless was workin in the old apt and not now after ya had it in the shop and ya cant see network adapter in device properties,
    somethin fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Apologies, last post was too concise.

After you click on "Device Manager" you should see a list of different types of devices in the right hand pane. Beside each device type there is a little + or - symbol. Clicking on this symbol causes the list to show or hide the devices which are of that device type.

Click on the + beside "Network adapters" and you should see your Intel Pro wireless adapter. If there's a red X beside it then you need to right click on the wireless adapter and choose "Enable" from the pop up menu.

Oíche mhaith.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

guil07 wrote: »
    was the shop ya brought it to reputable, if the wireless was workin in the old apt and not now after ya had it in the shop and ya cant see network adapter in device properties,
    somethin fishy

Please, please no textese! Correct spelling, punctuation and capital letters help readers to read easily.

YAhoo Im writing from my laptop.My sister rang and got to speak to the bloke that fixed it and he talked her all the way through I dont know what was said but its working.Thanks everyone you have all been so helpful.I really appreciate it :D

Advertisement