Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EGR valves

Options
  • 11-12-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

I have seen EGR valves mentioned in relation to problems with diesel engines. I'd be extremely grateful if someone could tell me if these valves are in petrol engines as well. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. But as petrol cars don't emit diesel particulates they don't need cleaning (as often? possibly...) like diesel cars so are less of a source of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

MYOB is right that non-disel vehicles also have EGR valves.

I have a Ford Ranger with a petrol engine and the check engine light came on once reporting a problem with the EGR valve.

I disconnected everything, cleaned it off a little bit, and the light went off. It has been 8 months now and the light has not come back on since, nor have I experienced any of the problems indicative of a faulty EGR valve. However, I think the problem might have been with the sensor and not the valve itself.

Replacing a bad EGR valve is usually fairly easy, but you would want to make sure the problem is with the valve and not the sensor, because they can get a little pricey. For instance one for my Ford is about $50, but the problem is often the sensor, which is also about $50. So it would be easy to spend $100 to fix a $50 problem.

Advertisement