Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies, how many inches and do they make a difference ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Acacia wrote: »
    I love heels, the higher the better. I think platforms tend to be more comfortable than strappy stilettos and I have a few pairs of them. I mostly wear skate shoes though, they're warm and comfortable. If I could bear the pain I'd wear something like these everyday-:D

000_0011b.jpg

Dear gods, ok I understand the appeal and for some people shoes can be a fetish put those everyday ?

I could of a few situation or positions where I could be negotiated into wearing the likes of that but it would have to be worth my while.

Those shoes are beautiful. I wish I would one day permit myself to spend several hundred on a pair of shoes. I honestly dont think I could do it, I think the guilt would kill me and Id never enjoy them.

Thats Mammy guilt talking and one day you will get your own life back
    and what better way to celebrate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

SeekUp wrote: »
    I'll treat myself this year if you do!!
    DEAL!!! :D
    I wish I would one day permit myself to spend several hundred on a pair of shoes. I honestly dont think I could do it, I think the guilt would kill me and Id never enjoy them.
    I thought about that too - would I actually be able to drop a few hundred € on a pair of shoes? And the conclusion was that now, yes I would. I work damn hard for the money I make, I don't drink much, I don't spend a lot of cash going out on the town, I save regularly and dammit I spend much of my week in walking boots/ lifting shoes - a girl needs a bit of glamour in her life! I've no kids, no major financial ties, so why not spend some of my cash on things that I won't be able to treat myself to when I have more financical commitments?

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them :o

fits wrote: »
    Btw anyone else underwhelmed by the Blahniks in BTs? Not my thing anyway.
    Massively!! I don't buy into the Blahnikl craze at all really, I'd rather get 2-3 pairs of L.K. Bennetts that would last two or three seasons than get a pair.

Oooh, I'm due to go into BTs tomorrow evening and I'm all excirrah now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Those shoes are beautiful. I wish I would one day permit myself to spend several hundred on a pair of shoes. I honestly dont think I could do it, I think the guilt would kill me and Id never enjoy them.

I feel the same...
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Thats Mammy guilt talking and one day you will get your own life back
    and what better way to celebrate ?

...but this made me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Expensive shoes are particularly attractive to women because you get to buy something pretty, that you can wear, that look good on you, and that won't ever make you feel bad about your weight. So for all the blokes who don't understand the shoe/handbag thing, there you go - unless you're sporting an injury, the same size will ALWAYS fit.

I've dropped quite a bit of money on shoes in my time, and can walk happily in high heels, though I only bother on special occasions. It's easier running about between a hospital surgical unit, ward and admissions office in a pair of runners (though my pair of runners is admittedly a pair of $225 Merrills :D).

That and I now live in the Australian countryside, where there is little call for fancy shoes, and my steel-toe-capped blundstone boots are what's required in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm tall, way too tall to wear heels. I'm about a half inch shy of 6 foot tall, so honest to god, what's the point?

My sister has worn Louboutins and says that, for the first fifteen minutes, they feel fantastic, so comfortable. Then, they start to hurt ferociously. Even when she was sitting down. The horrible truth is that our feet aren't supposed to be forced into those shapes for hours on end, so even if you go out and spend 500+ euro on a pair of shoes, they'll hurt. It will just take a little longer for them to begin hurting if you're wearing Louboutins as opposed to Penneys finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

embee wrote: »
    l, so honest to god, what's the point?
    your feet look pretty.
    My sister has worn Louboutins and says that, for the first fifteen minutes, they feel fantastic, so comfortable. Then, they start to hurt ferociously. Even when she was sitting down. The horrible truth is that our feet aren't supposed to be forced into those shapes for hours on end, so even if you go out and spend 500+ euro on a pair of shoes, they'll hurt. It will just take a little longer for them to begin hurting if you're wearing Louboutins as opposed to Penneys finest.

I dunno. I do think there is a big difference between cheap shoes and well made more expensive shoes. My grad shoes (stephanie morenos) I wore for hours and had no rubbing and no discomfort. I was surprised but it was because they were well made. They're not the highest in the world admittedly but pretty high all the same.
    Louboutins are really high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Dear gods, ok I understand the appeal and for some people shoes can be a fetish put those everyday ?

I could of a few situation or positions where I could be negotiated into wearing the likes of that but it would have to be worth my while.

I know, I could only wear them if I was being carried to and from the club/party/ wherever I'm going. :D I can dream though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

No heels for me as in EVER. I really can't stand them. Shoes have to be comfortable foremost of all. Next important thing is that they look kind of cute and cool at the same time. I really hate shoe shopping, and on the rare occasion that I get a pair that I really like, I find it difficult to break them in for fear of wearing them out too soon! :o

Creepy 'fun fact' on the side: my bf's mother (aged 61) never wore anything but high heels until recently. In fact, she didn't own any flat shoes at all until about two years ago when her feet started giving her this intense burning sensation. She says they constantly feel as if she's walking on fire, and the doctors supposedly told her that 40 years of high heels have irreversibly damaged some nerves in her feet, so nothing can be done. Mind you, she's also been smoking for all those years, which I reckon didn't help. Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

God bless taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

F.A. wrote: »
    Creepy 'fun fact' on the side: my bf's mother (aged 61) never wore anything but high heels until recently. In fact, she didn't own any flat shoes at all until about two years ago when her feet started giving her this intense burning sensation. She says they constantly feel as if she's walking on fire, and the doctors supposedly told her that 40 years of high heels have irreversibly damaged some nerves in her feet, so nothing can be done. Mind you, she's also been smoking for all those years, which I reckon didn't help. Ah well...

Creepier fact on the side, apparently now people have surgery on their feet to fit in the eight inch stilettos or have botox to kill the nerves off :eek:

fits wrote: »
    your feet look pretty.

Feet are never pretty, they're odd looking things. I don't think throwing them into a pair of shoes that cost 500 euro is going to change that.

I dunno, I think that sometimes, people watch too much stuff like Sex and the City, and think that the lifestyles portrayed in those sorts of shows are real, and that, well, if Carrie Bradshaw can earn buttons as a writer and spend every cent she has on Manolos, then so can I!!! Does it really, really matter to people out there that they're wearing Manolos/Jimmy Choos/Louboutins? I've gotta tell you, I don't go around checking out other womens shoes. I don't ever get shoe envy. I would never actively save to buy a pair of shoes that cost anywhere even close to 500 euro.

Perhaps I'm in the minority? I dunno, I just don't "get" the whole shoe obsession some women have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Imagine trying to wear these babies back in the day-

508101080_0d0e16c233.jpg?v=0

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Acacia wrote: »
    Imagine trying to wear these babies back in the day-

508101080_0d0e16c233.jpg?v=0

Fup I've a pair of shoes like that :p The heels on mine are a bit higher tho!

Feet are never pretty, they're odd looking things. I don't think throwing them into a pair of shoes that cost 500 euro is going to change that.

I dunno, I think that sometimes, people watch too much stuff like Sex and the City, and think that the lifestyles portrayed in those sorts of shows are real, and that, well, if Carrie Bradshaw can earn buttons as a writer and spend every cent she has on Manolos, then so can I!!! Does it really, really matter to people out there that they're wearing Manolos/Jimmy Choos/Louboutins? I've gotta tell you, I don't go around checking out other womens shoes. I don't ever get shoe envy. I would never actively save to buy a pair of shoes that cost anywhere even close to 500 euro.

Perhaps I'm in the minority? I dunno, I just don't "get" the whole shoe obsession some women have.

I never got this either really, but some shoes are stunning, like the pair gem posted.

Also, if you have particular feet, as I do, there are certain brands which are far more tolerable and I dont mean for high heels, but for a standard shoe. I know Ferragammo are pretty much the only shoe that dont give me problems. But they are a fortune, so I can forget about them. But I could afford them I proobably would by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

well it would be a very boring world if we all had the same interests and desires wouldnt it?

I love beautiful shoes. But I would never buy a pair that I didnt think I would wear lots, cheap or expensive. The most I've ever spent on a pair is 190 euro on my flat boots which I wear every day. They were worth every penny of it and I'll have them for a couple of years at least I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Feet are never pretty, they're odd looking things.
    So says you, but there's a lot of folk who find feet very attractive indeed.

ftr, I'm not one of them, but I do appreciate a great shoe when I see it :pac:
    embee wrote:
    Does it really, really matter to people out there that they're wearing Manolos/Jimmy Choos/Louboutins? I've gotta tell you, I don't go around checking out other womens shoes.
    Neither do I, but that's not at all the point. Wearing heels makes me stand taller, feel elongated, puts a sexy-as-hell wiggle in my ass and generally helps me feel 17 shades of hawt. I couldn't give a flying fart what other women want to wear, the only person I dress for is me, and for how it makes me feel.

I have no problem spending a few hundred Euro a year on facials, as I get older I pay more attention (and more money) on the beauty products I use, I look for better tailoring, quality and fit in the clothes I buy, I spend hours upon hours in the gym and I take care of the food I eat, all in the name of looking and feeling the best I can possibly be. Afaic a good pair of shoes is just a long-term investment in the same cause - they'll last for years and they'll help me feel fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

nouggatti wrote: »
    Creepier fact on the side, apparently now people have surgery on their feet to fit in the eight inch stilettos or have botox to kill the nerves off :eek:

Even creepier is the fact that this kind of thing is all but new...

*shudder*

I never got this either really, but some shoes are stunning, like the pair gem posted.

Also, if you have particular feet, as I do, there are certain brands which are far more tolerable and I dont mean for high heels, but for a standard shoe. I know Ferragammo are pretty much the only shoe that dont give me problems. But they are a fortune, so I can forget about them. But I could afford them I proobably would by them.

Personally, I think that particular pair of Louboutins is ugly, but that's just my own personal taste. If they didn't have all the jewels on them I'd like them about 20 million times more. I know what you mean about having a certain type of foot - mine are broad and long so really, I'm better off in flats. Too tall anyways for heels!
    g'em wrote: »
    So says you, but there's a lot of folk who find feet very attractive indeed.

ftr, I'm not one of them, but I do appreciate a great shoe when I see it :pac:

Neither do I, but that's not at all the point. Wearing heels makes me stand taller, feel elongated, puts a sexy-as-hell wiggle in my ass and generally helps me feel 17 shades of hawt. I couldn't give a flying fart what other women want to wear, the only person I dress for is me, and for how it makes me feel.

I have no problem spending a few hundred Euro a year on facials, as I get older I pay more attention (and more money) on the beauty products I use, I look for better tailoring, quality and fit in the clothes I buy, I spend hours upon hours in the gym and I take care of the food I eat, all in the name of looking and feeling the best I can possibly be. Afaic a good pair of shoes is just a long-term investment in the same cause - they'll last for years and they'll help me feel fantastic.

Oh g'em, I wasn't having a go at you or anything, I am just genuinely bewildered as to why people would pay so much money for shoes. Particularly heels, as they're so bad for your feet and back.

I totally get that you wear them because they make you feel fantastic - I'm like that about one or two of my dresses! As for spending money on beauty products, I don't do that, but only because I can't afford it. I can see immediately why beauty products are an investment... shoes - not so much. Shoes are shoes are shoes imo.

I dunno, having a toddler has made me a bit militant about shoes, because everyone tells you constantly, from the day they're born how important it is for them to wear proper, supportive and age appropriate shoes (crawling shoes, pre-walkers, walkers) etc for their delicate feet.... I just hate the thought that all the money I've spent on very good shoes for Rhiannon will be a waste as soon as she's a teenager and starts tottering around in heels like a baby horse learning to walk for the first time :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Normally wear flats to work...most practical for running around a classroom in. Thankfully I'm of average height (5'6'') so the kids arn't taller than me!:D

When going out I'll wear heels..normally 3inches or less. Anything higher than that and I'd be crippled and nothing worse then being on a night out and your feet are sore/you long to take your shoes off/can't dance/can't walk/want to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

*wait for a certain member of boards to see this topic and get very excited* :p

I dunno, having a toddler has made me a bit militant about shoes, because everyone tells you constantly, from the day they're born how important it is for them to wear proper, supportive and age appropriate shoes (crawling shoes, pre-walkers, walkers) etc for their delicate feet.... I just hate the thought that all the money I've spent on very good shoes for Rhiannon will be a waste as soon as she's a teenager and starts tottering around in heels like a baby horse learning to walk for the first time :s

It wont go to waste even if she does wear heels. One of the reasons its so important for them to have the best possibly shoes is that their feet are still developing and at this stage it is crucial they have good shoes. If you didn't, then you could be screwing things up. I get my son top end Italian childnre's shoes, and only recently got myself a new pair of winter shoes as I was walking around in summer shoes and my feet were freezing and I said, right, enough is enough. Part of the reason I delayed is because I hate shoe shopping - with a high arch and instep it's a huge time consuming pain in the ass.

nouggatti wrote: »

Oh Holy crap.

Oh Holy crap.

I know! :eek:

Linky (I know it's the daily mail, but still horrific) Designer feet

And the botox

stilettotarsal

I am the same unless they are classes as fetish wear.

I think that if you can get pretty shoes you can devlope a liking for them
    it you are outside of the ranger of "ladies" sizes, which I am then you won't be arsed.

http://www.heelarious.com/index.php

stellanew.jpg

g'em wrote: »

They are designed to do that, your pelvic floor tightens when you wear them and all your leg muscles and they will make your hips and ass sway, they are designed to make you feel more sexually stimulated and to change the way you walk and the shape of you body so men notice.

Part of the reason I delayed is because I hate shoe shopping - with a high arch and instep it's a huge time consuming pain in the ass.

It;s only the last two year or so I have options other then specialist shops,
    I got to the stage that if one more sales assistant said to me " Ladies sizes only go up to a size 7/ 7 1/2 " while looking me up and down I wanted to hit them.

I don't wear shoes in the house and prefer solid boots unless I am dressing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm a small lady, just about five feet so even when I do wear heels I still look very small. :o

Three inches is probably the best I can manage, then the type of heal is important too. Oddly enough, I find stilettos easier to walk in than chunkier heels.

I don't wear them often at all, only really if I'm going out for the night. There's nothing worse than that horrible burning sensation your get in you feet at the end of the night from a pair of killer heels. :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

F.A. wrote: »
    Creepy 'fun fact' on the side: my bf's mother (aged 61) never wore anything but high heels until recently. In fact, she didn't own any flat shoes at all until about two years ago when her feet started giving her this intense burning sensation. She says they constantly feel as if she's walking on fire, and the doctors supposedly told her that 40 years of high heels have irreversibly damaged some nerves in her feet, so nothing can be done.

Yeah, see, false. It's aaaaaaall about moderation.

As someone said, once you reach a certain age, you're not going to grow out of them. Plus, you spend a lot in one area of your life, you cut back in other area. Once you squash the guilt, it's smooth sailing.

Well, that's how I expect it to be. I haven't actually gotten the courage to fork over the money yet . . . ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Being a student most of the time, you'll find me in trainers. When on dates, it depends on the occasion, and if called for, on how tall he is, cause if I wear my 3 inch spikes, I'll be 6'1" (not counting if I put my hair up, which makes me appear taller), and many lads don't like it when you're taller than them.

Advertisement