Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good referee?

• 11-12-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an opinion from a player's perspective, not so much a spectator's perspective (if there is a difference here). I play in an organised dublin league, and as with all these things, the standard of refereeing is quite mixed so I have my own personal feelings of what makes a good referee, but would like some opinions.

This weekend there's the start of an FAI referee course that I'm considering attending (given that at €45 for a 90 min game - amateur level - its not the worst recession busting access to cash).

Are there any ref's on the forum?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Going unnoticed.

I hate this whole culture of 'celeb' refs. Graham Poll may well be the smuggest man I have ever seen on T.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

exactly, going unnoticed

you shouldnt know who he is, you shouldnt know hes there

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

those who allow the game to flow - it's part of what helix and charlie above said but it's also giving it a moment to see if an advantage is on offer but not waiting to long and dragging play back when there was no advantage,
    undoubtably a difficult balance to strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

From an amateur point of view, having at least some level of fitness so they can keep up with the game and not make decisions from the centre circle when the action is in the box.

Also agree with letting the game flow. Oh and letting Jeff climb all over defenders :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Collina sticking his todger into Mrs Collina makes a good referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't know if I agree on invisible being good.

In other sports refs can be highly visible and effective.

I'd say one handy thing is being a scary bástard. Collina was a great referee, but his appearance helped him referee hugely. If you're acting the maggot, and the referee doesn't intimidate you, will you listen to him? Especially at amateur levels that can help.

Decisiveness is crucial as is being able to appear neutral.

Oh and did anyone else see Poll on Football Matters? He didn't offend me as much as I expected. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

tribulus wrote: »
    From an amateur point of view, having at least some level of fitness so they can keep up with the game and not make decisions from the centre circle when the action is in the box.

Also agree with letting the game flow. Oh and letting Jeff climb all over defenders :pac:

Unless your this chap. He is built like a bloody tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Funny how when refs retire they suddenly become very insightful on other refereeing decisions. Even more ridiculous is SSN asking Jeff Winter (yes, that useless man in black) about his opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Its all about consistency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Going unnoticed is 1, but if your actually playing you expect him to be fit enough to be able to keep up with the play.
    I also would hope that he has played enough football himself to know the tricks that players do to fool the ref, eg - pretending to attempt to play the ball (with a shoulder) but really they're just trying to give you enough of a knock to put you off balance for a split second so the ball runs out of play when you would have reached it otherwise.
    Any ref that gives you a long speech before the game about how he can't see everything but to help him out is generally ****e
    Id rarely say a word to a ref but they don't do themselves any favours when their near the half way line and our player gets a push in the back in our box leading to a goal, I mean theres no way they could possibly see it.

The last game I played in was fairly tight, we scored but the ball went through a hole in the top of the net, the ref gives a corner :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

keeping on top of the game. Being up with the pace. There's no harm talking and explaining a decission if you wish. Dont allow yourself be cursed at, but dont let your ego make you whistle happy. The game isnt about the ref. try and let it flow. GL Jeff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the FA need to get more ex players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the FA need to get more ex players

No ex player would ever want to be a ref, certainly not well known ex players.

Advertisement