Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic covers of pop songs

Options
  • 11-12-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anybody know of any CDs that have acoustic cover versions of pop songs?
    You can find the odd one trawling and trawling on myspace and youtube but just wondering if there were any better sources.
    The artists doing the cover don't have to be well known.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The two that come to mind as compilations are the Live Lounge series (three releases so far plus the Radio 1: Established 1967 collection) and the Like A Version series (similar idea from Australia, also three releases)

I rather like cover versions so I've a pile of cover albums ranging from single artist efforts to "album tributes" to the kind of thing above. None of them tagged as covers though (using WMP10 to play stuff and it only takes the first ID3 genre tag) so they can get lost on me from time to time.

While the two sets of collections above aren't "true" acoustic cover albums they're as close as you'll get really, the Live Lounge series is well known over here, while I like the first two Like A Version collections far more than the third.

Oh, if by any chance you're into Crowded house, get a copy of "She Will Have Her Way", it's a nice collection of CH covers, all done by female artists. Not very "pop" though. For kicks and giggles, you could get your hands on Paul Anka's "Rock Swings", you'll either love it or hate it. Hardcore Nirvana fans tend to hate it. Additionally, look up Scala & Kolacny Brothers. Belgian girls choir, lots of cover versions, nice and calming:) They also do a dinky version of "I touch myself", which I've frequently taken delight in playing on student radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

sceptre wrote: »
    The two that come to mind as compilations are the Live Lounge series (three releases so far plus the Radio 1: Established 1967 collection) and the Like A Version series (similar idea from Australia, also three releases)

I rather like cover versions so I've a pile of cover albums ranging from single artist efforts to "album tributes" to the kind of thing above. None of them tagged as covers though (using WMP10 to play stuff and it only takes the first ID3 genre tag) so they can get lost on me from time to time.

While the two sets of collections above aren't "true" acoustic cover albums they're as close as you'll get really, the Live Lounge series is well known over here, while I like the first two Like A Version collections far more than the third.

Oh, if by any chance you're into Crowded house, get a copy of "She Will Have Her Way", it's a nice collection of CH covers, all done by female artists. Not very "pop" though. For kicks and giggles, you could get your hands on Paul Anka's "Rock Swings", you'll either love it or hate it. Hardcore Nirvana fans tend to hate it. Additionally, look up Scala & Kolacny Brothers. Belgian girls choir, lots of cover versions, nice and calming:) They also do a dinky version of "I touch myself", which I've frequently taken delight in playing on student radio.
    A superb post. It's for a wedding. Background pre - dinner music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

or there's this...

http://www.todayfmstore.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2057

ray darcy used get people in to do covers of pop songs. I have both, and if i'm honest, haven't listened to them an awful lot (too 'worthy' and 'earnest') in a way, but somebody does a great version of 'Breathe' by Blu Cantrell on one of 'em

but somebody does a great version of 'Breathe' by Blu Cantrell on one of 'em
    Roesy.

I completely forgot about "Even better Than The Real Thing". Some good stuff in there. TBH I haven't listened to it an awful lot either. The Ray D'Arcy stuff is likely to be a lot better known so if you want to be a clever clogs you might want to stay away from it. Then again, apparently at weddings they all look at the bride's dress and wedding cake anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

sceptre wrote: »
    Roesy.

I completely forgot about "Even better Than The Real Thing".

They've release an "Even better Than The Disco" album. Acoustic covers of Disco classics. Highly recommended!

I'm a sucker for acoustic covers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a once off recording, Travis' version of 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' is flawless. It's a B-side to one of their singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

also - if you can find it - there's a lovely version of Be My Baby done by The Lightning Seeds. I think it's on a best of, it was a b-side originally, but if this is a christmas wedding, it's got the requisite bells on it to make it all snowy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1bwC594bg

also - if you can find it - there's a lovely version of Be My Baby done by The Lightning Seeds. I think it's on a best of, it was a b-side originally, but if this is a christmas wedding, it's got the requisite bells on it to make it all snowy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1bwC594bg
    Checking, it's on 2006's Very best of the Lightning Seeds. Thanks for that, never actually listened to it before, it's nice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could also look out for a band called Nouvelle Vague. Their cd's are easily available and have a look on you tube first to see if they're suitable. 2 full albums of covers in acoustic with a bossa nova twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Or inject some more energy into the proceedings by bringing a 'Me First & The Gimme Gimmes' album along...might work better at the reception though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't recommend any CDs to you but my favourite acoustic cover if this nature has got to be Mat Weddle's take on Hey Ya:

This is also good:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Chris Cornell does a pretty sweet cover of Billie Jean;

His cover of Zep's Thank You is sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

glen hansard does an excellent version of cry me a river. Bloody love that version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lollerskater

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can't recommend any CDs to you but my favourite acoustic cover if this nature has got to be Mat Weddle's take on Hey Ya:

One of my favourite acoustic covers.

But like a lot of the others said, Live Lounge is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Richard cheese Does some good stuff (altho abit goofy sometimes) and also if you like yer pop music with a Spanish twist try Rhythms del Mundo they do coldplay u2 and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Kurt Cobain- The man who sold the world. MTV Unplugged.

World Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    As a once off recording, Travis' version of 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' is flawless. It's a B-side to one of their singles.

So was it Travis that thought of this first? bastards, how many times has this been played by some tosser at an open mic session or a house party? Not cool. May have been cool for about 5 minutes but not cool anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Richard cheese Does some good stuff (altho abit goofy sometimes) and also if you like yer pop music with a Spanish twist try Rhythms del Mundo they do coldplay u2 and the likes

I have three Richard Cheese albums not bad alright!

Advertisement