Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Horses

Options
  • 11-12-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has experience of swimming horses and how much it contributes to their overall fitness.

I've heard varying reports from different people, some of whom swear by them and say they really help a horse's fitness, while others say that they don't really do much good.

Anybody have any views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I had a pony once that got injured prior to a european championship. A stone bruise and absess of sorts. We swam him for 4 weeks and it was the best thing that we did. He got very fit and flexible. So i would highly recommend it if you have no option. I could see how it could be highly beneficial in conjunction with "cinventional" fitness regimes. But the availibility of pools is quite limited isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yep, as far as I know there aren't that many pools around. And it tends to be larger yards/vet hospitals, etc. that have them.

It was only recently that I saw a horse swim 'in real life' for the first time... It was really odd....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I once had to swim a 13.2 through a flooded field..scary, salt water great for sore legs, bad for tack though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

When my pony injured her leg, the vet and horse riding instructor and various others advised on walking her through sea water.
    I can only imagine it really improves their fitness because they have to use a lot of muscle to get through the force of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

I think it is very good for them. My father used to do it all the time back in the day and he said it was really great and that the water is also good for the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EMZ0907

would be great for injuries as it is little to no impact. i suppose it can also depend on the fitness of the horse. swimming is using alot of muscle but not necessarily using all the muscles you would while schooling a horse?i think it would be a great exercise for them as as far as ive seen they love it!only seen it a few times and as its been said only seems to be in large vet hospitals and big yards. if your horse is injured id say it would be great to help them rebuild their strength....but if you already have a well built (muscle wise) horse there may not be much use of it bar a bit of fun for them!we bring some of the horses to the beach sometimes and they LOVE playing around in the sea. as others have said the salt water is very healing

sorry that was a bit of a waffle!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dita

Does anybody know where has salt water pools in the East or south East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 culna

My brother got a mare to win two races on the race course in a year, mostly by swimming.

Advertisement