Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office is a joke

Options
  • 11-12-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm writing this post because I really need to vent.

I’m working in an office with 3 other people, one of those people was hinting about it being distracting having other people in the office walking about and coming in and out, anyway now this person is being moved into an office on her own,

my problem is that the room she is moving into is the lunch room/copy room there fore now all the equipment such as copier, shredder, tables and chairs etc are being moved into my office which is bugging the hell out of me as someone will not only be in and out every 5 minutes to photocopy but everyone will be having lunch in my room.

I really don’t think this is fair,

any feed back would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, your colleague has shown you the way. Now go and complain long and hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

I would agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks also guys,
    I have moaned about it and other people here agree with me but I was just told she will have more clients to be meeting with so she needs her own space.

Im just so cross that i wasnt even asked about it i was just told and that was it,

the change hase been made now and i find it very annoying, people are in and out ever 15 minutes using the photocopier and shredder, Im at the end of my thether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its all part of office politics and power plays. You either play the game or get left behind. Its survival of the fittest. Fair doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

that really does not seem right, never mind fairness.
    are you actually allowed to have the staff canteen in your office,
    I definitely would say something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Any chance you could have grounds under Health & Safety to have the arrangement changed? Excess noise or something...........check out the health and saftey regulations and see what you can dig up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I doubt if noise is sufficient to be a H&S problem.

However the photocopier itself might be...

www2.ul.ie/pdf/467712381.doc

(A combination of Ozone and Toner chemicals)
    CONTROLS
    The following work practices are recommended, whenever possible, for use with photocopiers:

· Photocopiers and printers should be located in well ventilated, dust free areas. Photocopying should ideally take place in a separate dedicated room away from the office, and if printing is extensive it too should be in a separate area.
    · If photocopiers are sited in peopled areas, careful consideration should be given to their location in relation to staff areas to prevent unnecessary stress from the noise, light and heat of the machine.
    · Photocopying should be routinely done with the cover down.
    · Photocopiers should be serviced regularly and be fitted with a good quality ozone filter.
    · Photocopiers and printers should be assessed in terms of their extent of use, location, and likely contribution to noise or other nuisance, and appropriate steps taken to segregate them if necessary.

They appear to be categorised as low risk. However whether or not there is any real danger should be properly assessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your office is being turned into a canteen? :eek:
    You mentioned working with clients, how the hell are you ever going to arrange a meeting in your "office"

I don't know why you didn't speak up before but you need to do so now.
    Getting a desk in an open-plan office is better then working in a canteen, you'll never get anything done with people hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys for all your advice, i must check out the health and safety wedsite and see about it, to be honest I'll feel bad saying something because I dont want to some across difficult but I do realise that I do need to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Could you ask for the equipment to use at designated times? Say an hours slot in the morning, and another slot in the afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Could you ask for the equipment to use at designated times? Say an hours slot in the morning, and another slot in the afternoon?

irishamethyst .... if he/she does that then other workers will get annoyed with him/her .... and will result in the occasional - "I REALLY need this" and "it cant wait" from colleagues which could cause friction.

health and safety seems to be the right option - if a colleague can complain and get their own office then someone has to suffer, its not fair, but I think you'll find that if the OP has his/her problem fixed it'll be a problem for someone else.

Ask the manager to swap offices for a day or a week - to illustrate your point.... your productivity is suffering if you cannot concentrate with so many people interrupting your work on a constant stream during the day.... and theres also the Health and Safety concerns !!! (do you have a Union Rep ? if so, talk to him/her about it, ....if not go directly to boss)

Anyway - just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

It could work for the shredding though. In my office, the shredder is a lot noisier than the copier. I can hear the shredder 2 floors up from my office :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You are being used as a doormat. It is time to get back your office free from distractions as your work will suffer and you will be fired.
    Survival of the fittest and so forth, silence on the subject is not an option and will only lead to a worsening situation.
    Try and get a copy of the US comedy "The Office" and see what happened to the Stapler Guy.........

Advertisement