Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

house extension

• 11-12-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi i have an unemployed chartered quantity surveyor working for me, he is goin to price my house plans for me for an extension, he came back to me saying that he knows a builder that will do it and wants to form a design and build contract, is it legal for a chartered surveyor to form a contract with a builder in a design and build contract/ i would be grateful if a quantity surveyor could advice me on this matter as i need to know where i stand if something goes wrong with extension, is the surveyor breaking any scs or rics code of conduct by arranging a design and build contract with his freind Mr builder without tendering
    regards
    briansmile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Lay down the law sounds dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hi i have an unemployed chartered quantity surveyor working for me, he is goin to price my house plans for me for an extension, he came back to me saying that he knows a builder that will do it and wants to form a design and build contract, is it legal for a chartered surveyor to form a contract with a builder in a design and build contract/ i would be grateful if a quantity surveyor could advice me on this matter as i need to know where i stand if something goes wrong with extension, is the surveyor breaking any scs or rics code of conduct by arranging a design and build contract with his freind Mr builder without tendering
    regards
    briansmile.gif
    I think the question should be put to your solicitor.

We dont do the legal stuff here and I should lock this but I will leave it open for a wee while to see if any of the regulars here want give an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Who would the surveyor be working for in this design and build scenario ?

You or the builder ? Unethical , conflict of interest - but not illegal ( not a legal opinion :) )

I don't like the sound of it - you need a professional to fairly administer the building contract between you and the builder

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Agree with the above. IMO to complex (legally) a way to build an extension. Does not sound like you will be pricing with a number of builders?

I had to laugh: 'i have an unemployed chartered quantity surveyor working for me'. He's not really unemployed then? :)

Does this surveyor have PI insurance?

My main concern would be who will act on your behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Sinnerboy and DOCARCH.
    Good business depends on trust, its seems you don't trust your Q.S.

Why not take his Bill of Quantities to a number of Builders ( at least 3) and have them tender also? This way you'll find out if the Design & Build contract is reasonable / competitive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Design and build by its nature should still be a competitive pricing procees, what your surveyor is proposing is negotiating the contrat with his friend. I take it that you have no design for the extension yet? None of these two people will be qualified to do this!
    There is no problem in the surveyor giving his builder friend a chance but you should insist on this being competitive and get at least two other prices.

Regards,
    Jollyan XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mod edit: we dont need to know what you do for a living - read the charter please.

Advertisement