Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows my pc looking?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

How's my computer looking at the moment, is there anything you'd reccomend for increading performance/gaming?

Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium
    AMD Athlon 5600+ (2 cpus) running at 2.8GHZ
    Nvidia 9800GT 512 MB
    4 gigs of Ram (although only 3.5gigs recognised)
    SoundBlaster Audigy sound card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

what monitor do you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A Dell 17" I believe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Seems plenty fine to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sweet setup, maybe a 22" Samsung to top it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely a bigger monitor - it makes the world of difference in gaming. :)

I went from a 17" to a 20", then to a 24". I honestly wouldn't be able to stand playing on anything smaller now!

Monitors are so reasonably now as well....like everything else they're really dropping in price fast.

The only other thing would be a kick ass set of speakers - that also makes a difference you wouldn't believe! Otherwise the PC looks pretty good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pointless buying a 22" monitor these days, 22" don't have their own native resolution but use the resolution of a 20" (1680x1050) stretched. Buy a 24" as they got the resolution of 1920x1200 which is higher than full HD and would be perfect for use with consoles or if You add a blueray player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yep those 24" monitors are the way to go.

However it's just like women and cock.
    They're happy with the size at first but after a while they keep wishing for a bigger and bigger one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Not to piss on your parade, but its 1 cpu with 2 cores ;)

But unless your a serious gamer who wants to play the latest eye candy game with everythign turned up its a sweet machine, should keep you going for a while yet !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Any particular reason you're going with AMD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Any particular reason you're going with AMD?

he already has that. it's a Dell he's just done a bit of upgrading to afaik, he's just looking for info on whether he should upgrade anything else.

one thing i'll mention is that if it's an older PC, or one that's got a fair bit of use, it can be worth looking at upgrading the HDD. I'm stuck to working with some very dodgy HDDs in college and they are getting to the stage where they seriously cause a bottleneck (they really should be binned, but you know what these institutions are like). Probably not needed in your case, but can be worth keeping in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Manties wrote: »
    Not to piss on your parade, but its 1 cpu with 2 cores ;)

Ah yeah, I know it's just a dual core/

I was just copying the stats of thr DXDIAG which said 2 cpus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Nice pc, wish mine was something like that.

Other than the monitor upgrade, maybe if your going all out get the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

Intel Core 2 Dual and Quad are out-pacing AMDs current Athlon64 X2/FX processor families so I recommend going with Intel rather than AMD. dual and quad core processors are the king of the heap!

You will be the ultimate gamer then!

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Other than the monitor upgrade, maybe if your going all out get the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.

Have to disagree here, although I own a Creative soundcard myself, it'll be the last Creative product I'll ever own after their Vista driver & Daniel_K thing.

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Dual and Quad are out-pacing AMDs current Athlon64 X2/FX processor families so I recommend going with Intel rather than AMD. dual and quad core processors are the king of the heap!

Thats about to change with Amd's Phenom II Deneb, Amd are coming back in the race as it outperforms i7 and overclocks like fcuk. Hopefully we'll see something similar to what we're seing in the gpu war. All for the good of the consumer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Yeah, creative drivers are pretty ****ty on Vista, but to be fair X-Fi's are awesome on XP

Although I know of a cracked XFi driver that makes it sound almost as good as XP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats about to change with Amd's Phenom II Deneb, Amd are coming back in the race as it outperforms i7 and overclocks like fcuk. Hopefully we'll see something similar to what we're seing in the gpu war. All for the good of the consumer.

Really? I haven't heard much of the Phenom 2s. Great news because we'll benefit more than anyone else.

Really? I haven't heard much of the Phenom 2s. Great news because we'll benefit more than anyone else.

Ya, there are a few threads on XS forums, hand picked engineering samples mind you, but there was a thread with a screenshot of one at 6Ghz, here............lets hope its true and not just hype

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Grab it while you can OP.

Dell Full HD 1920 x 1080 23" Monitor €186 Delivered

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440564

Advertisement