Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke Detectors

• 11-12-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading through the 'windows as a means of ecape' thread and something occurred to me.

The time of year it is an all I would like anyone who reads this to go CHECK YOUR SMOKE ALARM now please. I just realised its 3 months since I checked mine and I could do with a reminder every now and then too.

Now off to do my rounds (the mods will probably have erased this thread when I get back, it may not be entirely appropriate here anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We're tight now but not that tight. :D

Good idea Tom. Mines are working anyhow as the burned toast this morning will testify ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Jesus I must burn the dinner to check mine, a good old fry usually does it, now where are those rashers!!!!:D seriously though most recent houses will have mains powered alarms with a battery mine bip every few minutes when they need new batteries, would drive a man nuts but if you've only got battery powered ones burn the toast fairly often!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No6 wrote: »
    but if you've only got battery powered ones burn the toast fairly often!!:D
    Guaranteed to happen around 3 times each week. She shuts the kitchen door after the alarm in the hall goes off :mad:

Mine waves a cusion from the couch at the one in the sitting room to make it stop (for about a minute)!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No. 6 where are you getting those rashers?
    A good old fry would be nice.:D

The toaster is a great tester here too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Thanks for the reminder Uncle Tom. Working like a treat.

Just a note did you see house was burned and smoke alarm was wired incorrectly of the mains as connecting wires were the same colour. Anyone off the mains check out

Heatherview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I saw that, chilling stuff, makes you wonder.

Inspected an apartment last week, I asked for the storage heating to be turned on for my inspection, one wasn't working but the switch was very hot to the touch, asked for it to be checked, was wired wrong, blackened insides, melted wires, but thankfully no fire had happened yet.

3 fires in houses around in the last week related to wiring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mine are working perfectly as they both had new batteries put in last week.

This was after one of them beeping throughout the night and then both going mad at 5.30am. :mad:

smashey wrote: »
    Mine are working perfectly as they both had new batteries put in last week.

This was after one of them beeping throughout the night and then both going mad at 5.30am. :mad:

Its a sign!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

No6 wrote: »
    Its a sign!!!:D:D
    They nearly got hit with a baseball bat at one stage. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Sorry to cut in on indirectly related item - carbon monoxide detectors . Commonly available now in the major homeware outlets . Battery powered or plug in to mains - cost about €60.00 . Should be one close to all fossil fuel burning appliances

A friend's mother bought one recently and took it back thinking it was faulty because it never stopped sounding - ever . Shop tested and said - it was fine . Turns out her gas boiler flue was leaky ........

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Sorry to cut in on indirectly related item - carbon monoxide detectors . Commonly available now in the major homeware outlets . Battery powered or plug in to mains - cost about €60.00 . Should be one close to all fossil fuel burning appliances

A friend's mother bought one recently and took it back thinking it was faulty because it never stopped sounding - ever . Shop tested and said - it was fine . Turns out her gas boiler flue was leaky ........

What the right mounting height, & general installation directions for CO detectors ?

fishfoodie wrote: »
    What the right mounting height, & general installation directions for CO detectors ?

All explained in detail in leaflet in box - but similar in nature to smoke detector

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    All explained in detail in leaflet in box - but similar in nature to smoke detector

Except those instructions frequently seem to have been written by a chinese computer program & then printed on toilet paper in the smallest font known to man :D

The reason I ask, is I seem to remember seeing them mounted a knee height & I wondered if there was a concious decision to do this, e.g. was it governed by some calculation of CO density or something ? Smoke detectors are easy because smoke rises, so the ceiling or close to it is perfect.

the one i bought was made in ireland . very detailed and clear instructions . high level , avoiding wall and ceiling "corner" etc similar to smoke alarm

Advertisement