Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Ireland Qualify for the 2010 World cup

• 11-12-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says can we qualify ? At the moment we are in a good enough position. I have been looking over the remaining games and have made some predictions. I think that we are capable of picking up 12 points from the remaining 21 available and finish on 19 points. If we get ourselves two draws against Bulgaria and deprive them of 4 points from their remaining 21 then I absolutely see us picking up second place. Things could obviously go pear shaped somewhere along the line but fingers crossed. Anyway please feel free to add your views if we are capable or not.

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying : Group Eight Table

P W D L PTS
    Italy ---- 4 3 1 0 10
    Ireland -- 3 2 1 0 7
    Bulgaria - 3 0 3 0 3
    Monten - 3 0 2 1 2
    Georgia - 4 0 2 2 2
    Cyprus - 3 0 1 2 1

11th February 2009: Republic of Ireland v Georgia (win)
    28th March 2009: Republic of Ireland v Bulgaria (draw)
    1st April 2009: Italy v Republic of Ireland (lose)
    6th June 2009: Bulgaria v Republic of Ireland (draw)
    5th September 2009: Cyprus v Republic of Ireland (win)
    10th October 2009: Republic of Ireland v Italy (draw)
    14th October 2009: Republic of Ireland v Montenegro (win)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't think a whole lot of italy right now, I think we're very hard to beat, and I dunno maybe a could second half to the season for the likes of Andy Reid (new manager at sunderland) and steven reid maybe back for the autumn 2009 games - I think we have a good chance
    bulgaria have imploded we're very capable of beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yes, I think they will, well, at least get beyond the group stage right now. I don't see why they should fear anyone, even Italy. It'd definately be better if they could score another goal or two a match to make it comfortable, but right can see them doing it. Plus game in hand over Italy could be good. Must beat Georgia in February too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Bulgaria just sacked their manager a couple of weeks ago so hopefully we can take advantage of that with the new guy not having much time to prepare. Gattuso doing in his cruciate should also bring us some joy. Just hope trapp does not go with Gibson and Whelan again. Keano better find his scoring boots fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i had a dream a few months ago we were definitely in the play-offs with one group game left with a chance of topping the group.. it was great
    so yeah i think we can qualify..well my dreams do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

As i said before qualifications started Ireland is 2nd best team in this group and its stupid to compare it to Montenegro and Bulgaria,i still think everything except 1st or 2nd place is huge dissapointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can we qualify? Yes

Will we qualify? Probably not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As i said before qualifications started Ireland is 2nd best team in this group and its stupid to compare it to Montenegro and Bulgaria,i still think everything except 1st or 2nd place is huge dissapointment

I'd have to disagree with ya there.
    Bulgaria are a good team, we'll be very lucky to get a result over there.
    We must beat them at home though!

Just looking over the Bulgarian squad and they are very inexperienced bar Berbatov and Petrov. Not alot of caps between them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria_national_football_team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1st place will qualify, what about 2nd place?
    Do you go into a play-off with other teams in other groups who were 2nd?

Forgive the noob question :o

micmclo wrote: »
    1st place will qualify, what about 2nd place?

Forgive the noob question :o

Yeah, play-off for second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think the Cyprus away game will be the tougher away trip han the Bulgarian one. We haven't got the legs to keep up with them so we should (surprise surprise) play Andy and just control the game.

If we win our next two we will be ten points ahead of Bulgaria. Still though, winning the group has to be the aim.

I just hope Trap becomes more flexible over Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

micmclo wrote: »
    redout wrote: »
    Yeah, play-off for second.

To be pedantic.
    There are 9 groups, and only the best 8 runners-up go into the play-offs. The runner-up with least points is eliminated.
    (With one of the 9 groups having only 5 teams, in order to decide the worst runner-up the results of each team against the 6th placed team in each group are discarded).

To be pedantic.
    There are 9 groups, and only the best 8 runners-up go into the play-offs. The runner-up with least points is eliminated.
    (With one of the 9 groups having only 5 teams, in order to decide the worst runner-up the results of each team against the 6th placed team in each group are discarded).

For the 2002 world cup it was 8 of the second place teams face eachother in a play-off and the ninth (which was us) played an asian team. Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For the 2002 world cup it was 8 of the second place teams face eachother in a play-off and the ninth (which was us) played an asian team. Iran.

Blame Platini and Uefa's negotiating skills.
    For 2002 Europe had 14.5 of the 32 places (the half place being Irelands playoff place obviously).
    For 2006 we had 14 places.
    Despite 6 quarter finalists and 4 semifinalists in 2006, for 2010 we are further reduced to 13 places :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we will get to the playoffs, and when we do, Stephen Ireland will win the game for us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i fear we wont to be honest, if we beat georgia at home my tune will change.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with ya there.
    Bulgaria are a good team, we'll be very lucky to get a result over there.
    We must beat them at home though!

Sorry but i saw all their "quality" while ago when we blasted them with 2nd squad 6-1,except Berba and Petrov the rest of the team is sh!te,and Berba probably wont play anymore for them so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Let's face it, bar Montenegro (which if you see as a threat qualifying should be far out of reach) Ireland lucked out. Bulgaria are not a good team in any shape or form.

Italy are going through a period of transition, finding it hard to find the Totti or Mutu figure in the middle, with their best hope not being able to play in the number 10 position for his club because Totti has it sewn down. The defence is changing slowly, with Chiellini the only real young star there, the fact Panucci was considered as a breakout star in the Euros for Italy shows the lack of youth breaking through. In goal they're obviously strong and up front they're formidable with Toni not bottling it until they actually qualify and with Gila finding his form again they have a viable replacement when he does bottle, but those two are strongest in the air where the likes of Dunne should be able to compete, and let's face it, it's much better than Del Piero and Totti playing and just outclassing the clowns at the back. Also, considering that Trapattoni influenced a whole generation of managers, he should know some of Lippi's tricks and seeing how he managed the team in 2002 and 2004 he'll know some of the players really well and know how they work.

Realistically, this is Irelands best chance to qualify in ages but I'm pretty sure they'll bottle it in either Bulgaria or the playoffs

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Realistically, this is Irelands best chance to qualify in ages but I'm pretty sure they'll bottle it in either Bulgaria or the playoffs

In playoffs you will have all good and same quality teams so only sdmall things and a bit of luck will decide whos going on WC,it wouldnt be such a shame to lose in playoffs but to not reach it,that would be dissapointing for Irish national team...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

fair enough, italy are not unbeatable, and bulgaria have been poor, but we dont exaclty look great. points away will still be difficult to get, judging by the cyprus game home ones may be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thats the main point. We looked atrocious in our last game. I get the distinct feeling S.Reid made us look alot better in our previous games. We just don't have the midfield personal for Trap's preferred system. If Whelan and Gibson manage to Stifle Italy, Bulgaria or Cyprus in Nicoisia then I will eat my hat.

What do you all think about Trapp and his dvd's. Like Dunphy said, the chap is on €2 million a year and doesnt go to watch any games and delegates that to Brady and Tardelli. In my opinion Eamo is right on this one, couldnt believe he doesnt actually go and watch his players. Watching the dvd and being there in person are two totally different things like Eamo pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What do you all think about Trapp and his dvd's. Like Dunphy said, the chap is on €2 million a year and doesnt go to watch any games and delegates that to Brady and Tardelli. In my opinion Eamo is right on this one, couldnt believe he doesnt actually go and watch his players. Watching the dvd and being there in person are two totally different things like Eamo pointed out.

The way I see it is something like clubs in Europe. Brady and Tardelli are his directrs of football, spotting and rating players for him, who he gets final decision on by watching DVDs of their games. He focuses on getting his tactical system accross to these players and organise them during the match. Not the worst thing in the world. He's playing to each his tactical strenght and using Brady's "knowledge" of the players to make up for that weakness.
    I'd rather that than him trying to be a one man management team.

But surely he could at least manage several a month before Ireland games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No.

Ireland will not qualify for WC2010

Des wrote: »
    No.

Ireland will not qualify for WC2010

Wanna bet they will least reach playoffs?

Wanna bet they will least reach playoffs?

Nope.

I said they won't get to the WC.

They might fluke a play off place by virtue of the other teams being worse than them.

Nope.

I said they won't get to the WC.

They might fluke a play off place by virtue of the other teams being worse than them.

You irish folks are same as serbs,pesimistic to death:D

• Advertisement

You irish folks are same as serbs,pesimistic to death:D

Pessimistic me bollix.

Realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

No. Close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Yes.

Ireland will qualify for WC2010

</des>

Pessimistic me bollix.

Realistic.

Hehe so when we say every time our player suck even most of the europeans think they are great we are realistic?;)

We adore to be pesimistic and understimate our players and theres no help,i find us same when it goes about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pessimistic me bollix.

Realistic.

We might fluke it to the play offs but will certainy be beat by some other god awful flukers? (France for example)

I was away for the Poland game and tbh havent studied it much. Im still half way as to whether Traps style can bore us to qualification :)

Advertisement