Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is anyone getting a new car in '09

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

With all the doom and gloom around was just wondering is anybody on here getting a new motor at the start of '09 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Not a single person i know is. Even the father who changes religiously ever 3 years and he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Will be a bleak month for the motor trade when even their regular customers are not changing, expect to see alot of lay offs in late January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was in Airside today for a good bit and the amount of people that each one of the dealers there employ is simply staggering.

I was there for about 2 hours and the only people coming in were for service and parts, no-one walking around the yards. But yet there were teams of salesmen, secretarys, managers, service technicians (no sign of mechanics!) and valet staff. It really can't continue like this.

Consolidation and increased competition is the only way that this industry will survive here.

MSporty wrote: »
    Will be a bleak month for the motor trade when even their regular customers are not changing, expect to see alot of lay offs in late January

There will be alot of regulars not buying. From the fella who won't take a trade in, the fella who gets a trade in price he's not happy with, the fella who's out of a job, the fella who can't get finance. List goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I got a call from PTSB finance a week ago asking was i looking for a new finance package in 09:eek:
    They must be bricking it too!
    And no,i'm not,even though my local salesman is constantly ringing and telling me he'll do me a good deal:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Small main dealer next door to my office, only one sales guy there now,no other staff, no customers, just sitting at his desk all day contributing to the boards i'd imagine!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I am singlehandedly fighting off recession - I have an A6 ordered for jan/Feb 09

whiterebel wrote: »
    I am singlehandedly fighting off recession - I have an A6 ordered for jan/Feb 09

Fair play to you, you have 'liathroidi' as Bill Cullen might say!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MSporty wrote: »
    Fair play to you, you have 'liathroidi' as Bill Cullen might say!

A good record with the banks down through the years, and we keep the cars on average 5 years or more. Need to change now, and the deal on the A6 is superb, so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I bought a new jeep there a fortnight ago...08 though!!

• Advertisement

Farls wrote: »
    I bought a new jeep there a fortnight ago...08 though!!

Do tell more lol:D

I'd say the car dealer was delighted to see both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I WAS - but I was offered too good a deal on a car in August to bother waiting for the 09 plate; knowing full well the car is going to be virtually worthless for resale either way around.

Do tell more lol:D

Haha!! As for the car dealer, I went to the UK and somehow managed to get 6k sterling knocked of the marked price when I said I wasn't interested...even though it was exactly what I wanted!!

The dealer I bought of even picked me up at the airport :eek:

In the end up when I changed money across at 86.4 and paid flights/boat/diesel and the VRT I've saved in excess of 14k euro on the same vehicle here!

MYOB wrote: »
    I WAS - but I was offered too good a deal on a car in August to bother waiting for the 09 plate; knowing full well the car is going to be virtually worthless for resale either way around.

That was my thinking too...what ever you buy now you better like it because your going to have it for a LONG time!!

Farls wrote: »
    Haha!! As for the car dealer, I went to the UK and somehow managed to get 6k sterling knocked of the marked price when I said I wasn't interested...even though it was exactly what I wanted!!

The dealer I bought of even picked me up at the airport :eek:

In the end up when I changed money across at 86.4 and paid flights/boat/diesel and the VRT I've saved in excess of 14k euro on the same vehicle here!

And you still haven't told us what you bought:P

And you still haven't told us what you bought:P

Haha yer jealousy gets ye no where Limerick-man!! New L200 Animal RARRR!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Having received a 3.5 year contract in the post this morning to start in September, I'll be looking for a diesel auto big saloon in the summer as there'll be mileage involved, though I'll probably end up with a petrol manual coupe going on my record for buying what I set out to buy:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think I will go for a slightly used 09 3 series coupe, Audi TT diesel quattro or revised A6.
    Was at the audi sales guy last week enquiring about buying brand new in Jan/feb. I said I presumed there will be huge discounts for straight deals with the times that are in it. He wasnt giving in but he said they have only a fraction of usual january sales orders in and that its all basic stuff. Nobody paying for the tasty stuff this january.
    I think we might possibly see alot of dealers pre reging stuff and selling at massive discount just to get some sales numbers. This would suit me perfectly.
    I can see the mainstream brands doing this anyway. They do it in uk for years. I presume its to keep sales targets up and then they can sell them cheaper than manufacturers would allow.
    Might also go to uk for nearly new.

Advertisement