Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cursing on the radio

• 11-12-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

im curious right

i dont mind cursing at all doesnt bother me in the slightest

what bothers me is that they ban ass and **** and other such words in songs

yet i think its the kirsty macall song?
    i do realise iv completely spelled it wrong but who cares
    she says

"you scumbag you maggot you cheap lousy ******"

how does that make sense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I suppose since it's a christmas song it's not played much (Although some radio stations play it 1,000,000 times a day:p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

what about the likes of gerry ryan saying "bollox" last monday about tesco not taking back pork without a reciept. how is he allowed say that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I tend to think that swearing during the daytime on radio when there might be children within earshot is way out of order. Granted for most of the posters on this forum, we've heard alot worse in our daily lives but it is irrseponsible for broadcasters to use bad language before the watershed (tv term I know). I used to listen to darcy but the use of expletives became so common place that i switched off. Jerry ryan is just as bad, I recall him one day discussing the origins of the work "f*ck", i mean on a morning show , its just not on, and for a national broadcaster financed by tax payers money it is doubly unnacceptable and is crass as best. The irony is that if you used any mildly bad language at all on local, community, or hospital radio you would lose your license immediately. Yes we are all grown ups here, but unless you can excercise some common sense on the use of foul language during hours when impressionable children may be within earshot of the radio, you are doing the listenership and common decency a disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

your logic is seriously flawed though dude

kids hear cursing in the streets from random strangers , from other kids , from other adults , on the tv.. anywhere

u cant control kids ears

not all kids go to bed at 9 dude
    cursing is everywhere man so there odviously gonna pick it up from somewhere so i dont see a point in hiding it ...its like sex there gonnas learn from SOMEWHERE

its getting far too pc and nanny state like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

MacGyver wrote: »
    what about the likes of gerry ryan saying "bollox" last monday about tesco not taking back pork without a reciept. how is he allowed say that ?

Because he's a fat prick who thinks rules don't apply to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

There's no actual law or rule to say what words can or cannot be said on the radio.

It's just common practice, or decided by a stations policy, as to what you can or cannot say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Censored words in songs tends to vary depending on the presenter, or simply which version of a song they set to play from the computer in the studio. You'll often hear a curse word in a song at one point during the day and again later-on with censoring. There's swearing on the Gerry Ryan show all the time. Many times a day. Once, a few years ago the word 'c*nt' was used about 5 times during a single conversation with some poor chap that had been robbed about 8 times in one year and the Gardai weren't doing anything about it. Someone said 'up shít creek' on Liveline yesterday and Joe didn't say anything about it. Rick o'Shea is also quite fond of the word 'shíte'.

They're only words, for christ sake. It doesn't bother me at all. Infact I love that you can swear on the radio without much consequence. Imagine the uproar if a swear word slipped out on American radio(or American Network TV for that matter). I'd hate for us to end up like them. Censorship over there is beyond ridiculous.

Free speech ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Heard "Ass Like That" by Eminem one day - all the way through the song, ass was censored...then presenter comes on and says "That was 'Ass Like That' by Eminem" simply nullifying the whole censorship thing. Over the top censoring bothers me - Friends on E4, 'Ass', etc...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yup, went into studio one day to find one of my colleagues laughing his head off.....he would've assumed that he shouldn't say "bitch" on daytime, but his playlist included Meredith Brooks' track and the presentation style included "forward announce or back announce all tracks so that people hear the names at least once"...

It's a bit like Veritas not being allowed advertise for CHRISTmas......more double-standards than a Fianna Fail government...... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's a bit like Veritas not being allowed advertise for CHRISTmas......more double-standards than a Fianna Fail government...... :P

Not really. That's to do with advertising rules and standards and religions not being allowed to advertise on radio - not standards of taste and decency.

I'm quite sure I heard the word "fµck" mentioned and discussed briefly on "The Third Eye" on i105-107 with Abie Philbin-Bowman a few days ago. I didn't feel like complaining, but I did feel it was inappropriate and could have been avoided (he could have said "the F word" or some other substitute while it would still be obvious what word he was referring to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

im curious right

i dont mind cursing at all doesnt bother me in the slightest

what bothers me is that they ban ass and **** and other such words in songs

yet i think its the kirsty macall song?
    i do realise iv completely spelled it wrong but who cares
    she says

"you scumbag you maggot you cheap lousy ******"

how does that make sense?

Ronan Keatings version is the one for you.;)

You will always get the oh so easily offended brigade that can find fault with almost anything, luckily they are in tha minority programmers do not allow them dictate what the rest of us can listen to.

Most normal people would not be offend by the lyrics in fairytale of new york. In the context ****** is used in the song it is acceptable to the majority, it wouldn't be one of the most popular christmas songs if that were not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

As Eamon Dunphy said after being repremanded by Bill for saying 'bolloc.ks' after a recent game, 'ah sure kids hear that word all the time Bill' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The BCC have never taken action against Ryan et al despite complaints being made.

I recall a 2fm DJ saying after playing an explicit song, "Don't bother complaining, we always get away with it." This was at 4pm on a Saturday.

Advertisement