Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Cutting Out

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

How do all,
    The girlfriend was driving home this evening and her car cut out a few times on her. She doesn't remember exactly what happened but I think it was when she was stuck in traffic as she went to take off the car cut out, it then took 3 or 4 turns of the ignition to get going again.

She's only had it serviced a few weeks ago. She drives a 03 Peugeot 206. She said when it cut out the engine light, battery light & handbrake light came on. Despite the handbrake not being on.
    I checked the users manual and it says for the handbrake light:
    "an excessive drop of brake fluid level (if the warning light remains on even when the handbrake is released)

Would this cause the car to cut out like that, and not restart straight away?

Any body got any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

I expect the handbrake light thing is just because the pressure dropped off when the engine stalled. Wouldn't be worried about that. My car will show the light on (looks like (!) in red) when the engine is not running regardless of handbrake position.

Other lights are as expected after an engine has stalled.

Don't really know what could have caused it to stop though. If it had trouble restarting it may have been flooded in which case it can take a fair bit of cranking to get the cylinders cleared out enough to restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

check the plugs. That where i always start with the bike anyways. As other poster said it might just be flooded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Thanks for the help lads.
    She only had the car serviced a couple of weeks ago, I thought maybe the car was out of oil or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ay Cee wrote: »
    She said when it cut out the engine light, battery light & handbrake light came on. Despite the handbrake not being on.
    I checked the users manual and it says for the handbrake light:
    "an excessive drop of brake fluid level (if the warning light remains on even when the handbrake is released)

Not sure what caused it to cut out but all those lights appearing after a stall/cut out is perfectly normal, the car has returned to ignition on mode.

Advertisement