Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeat cost and super important question!!

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Is it actually 220 to just resit an exam?? or is that the whole module? like its 50 euro in cork to repeat an exam in the summer!! oh and im doin sociology and for intro i had like 30 precent from the essay so i presumed i needed like 10 from the exam, however now ive been informed that u have to pass the final exam to pass it all:eek::eek:?? in which case im ****ed please but my mind at ease or make it totally worse...thanks:):confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think the 200e is to repeat the module, but ya may only have to do the exam whenever its on.

For the second part, well I think I failed some exam part of history last year but passed the module, and don't have to repeat anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'd be surprised if you had to pass the exam to pass the module, its probably just something they said to scare you all into studying. In fact I'm not sure if they can fail you if you've gotten enough to pass the module

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I think its once you pass the module overall, not whether you pass the exam. surely thats the point of continuous assessment?!

i think its 200euro for repeating the exam, i don't think you take the classes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

iirc from last year, it's 220 to resit an exam and officially you don't do the course again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I got told I had to pass the exam in operating systems last year, I ended up getting an E in the exam and was passed anyway(I had an A overall so imagine trying to explain fialing with an A :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its 220eur to sit the exam.

Some courses will make you redo the continuous assessment, and if you fail the repeat you may have to redo the module in full i.e. attend lectures. I would imagine this would cost more than 200eur.

iirc if was 100eur per exam in my first year, but that was changed to 200eur flat fee, whether you were repeating 1 or 5 exams. Dont hold me to that though.

As for the second question of having to pass the exam, this might vary by course, but in every subject Ive done in UCD and post grad you must pass the continuous assessment and the exam. Think of it this way, if you have 3 subjects and you fail one, you have not passed the year. Likewise, if a subject has three exams, you need to pass each exam.

The answer to your question can be found in the course outline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I got told I had to pass the exam in operating systems last year, I ended up getting an E in the exam and was passed anyway(I had an A overall so imagine trying to explain fialing with an A :D)
    Were you passed by compensation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Geoffy

Here's the story with repeating/resitting
    If you fail a course (E or below) you have the chance to resit it. If you get an E and have a high enough GPA (which is pretty low, around 2.0 or 2.3 or something), then that subject gets 'passed by compensation' and will look like PC(E) on your transcript. Even tho you pass it, that's only a technicality as that subject gets capped at a GPA of 1.6
    If you resit the subject, it'll cost you 220E. You'll only have to resit the exam itself, unless otherwise stated by the lecturer or programme office (normally it's 100% based on exam though). The problem with this is that you get capped at a GPA of 2.0 no matter how well you do.. So even if you ace the repeat, you'll only get the equivalent of a D-
    So if you're in first year, it's sweet, but in later years which contribute to your final degree, it's a bender.
    As far as I know, you need a valid reason to repeat without being capped - extenuating circumstances.

Oh and here UCD site for fees, etc RE repeating and substituting.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Were you passed by compensation?

Nope, it was just ignored completely that I had failed the actual exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I have a little question too; when you get your degree, will it state your results from the years which didn't count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Some courses have stipulations that all components of the course must be passed in order to pass the course as a whole. This is always set out from the start though as it's very specific. Should be stated in the module descriptor though

Bright Eyes: Your degree is all in latin and will just state what degree you attained and what grade. You can get transcripts of all your results which will state all your results for all years and what exams you took.

Advertisement