Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Open Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

:( Didn't get into the law talk! There was about 100 other people (no exaggeration) that didn't get in either, despite also being early. Pretty disappointed about that...

There was so many people there... I went last year, and it was busy but much more organised, I found. Each talk was repeated a couple of times, which in the case of law, it was needed. There's always huge demand. Didn't understand it only being on once tbh.

I went on a campus tour, the SU one, and the guy doing it was pretty funny, and he gave us Haribo to follow him around, so that was alright! I never got the stuck up vibe though... I did in UCD, I felt I was being surveyed and talked about the whole time, they're aren't even subtle with their bitching! :( Wasn't impressed with UCD at all....

Liked Trinity, but was quite annoyed about the crappiness of the talks... Did however have crepes for breakfast! Nyom nyom nyom... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Pfft, Northersiders own Dublin :) My friend was raging that he forgot about this morning when I asked him how come he wasn't at Trinity!

Fad wrote: »
    There were dossers in Radio Therapy, but then she gave out to them :D

But in fairness I got into every talk I wanted to get into :S

The amount of people giving out about South Dublin Accents was unreal, and there was me thinking to myself "Then WHY ARE YOU AT THE OPEN DAY OF A UNIVERSITY ON THE SOUTHSIDE!" Hiss

What talks were you going for? Loads of people were complaining about how they couldn't get into lectures!

I was one of the ones laughing at the culchie accents... oh they shouldn't speak so loud, it's too funny. Didn't hear any anti-south-Dublin complaints though, and to be fair, it's barely on the south side... Usually things in town are just counted as town from what I've seen! The amount of girls who looked like they'd rolled around in make-up was unreal though, much worse than in UCD surprisingly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think it took me 30 mins to get downstairs in the hamilton building... Jesus H...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

GA361 wrote: »
    That was a terribly organised open day.
    Couldn't get into the law,medicine or dentistry.A whole load of dossers there.
    I found the atmosphere in the place to be very up their own holes,for want of a better word.Didn't like it at all at all.Trinity has been scratched out of my cao anyway.
    Could anyone tell me what the opening day in ucd was like.Missed it

Sorry to hear that you didn't get more out of the open day. If it's any help I couldn't make it to the TCD open day two years ago but I'm here now in second year and having a ball. I wouldn't dwell too much on a good or bad open day tbh.

For what it's worth Trinity is a great college to go to and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. You may come across a minority who are "up their own holes" as you say yourself, but in fairness they are in the minority, there are people like that in every college and finally there are always gonna be people like that in life generally.

If you want to find out more about a particular course start a thread on the TCD forum, a very friendly, helpful bunch of people. Or email the course director etc. IMO the best way to find out about a course is to ask someone who does it though.

The amount of girls who looked like they'd rolled around in make-up was unreal though, much worse than in UCD surprisingly enough!

I noticed that as well. In fact I was in the queue in the loo and next thing about 10 girls came in with orange faces. I couldn't get over it tbh. It's not like that on a daily basis just so ya know (they must have been your fellow open day attendees).

• Advertisement

Randomness wrote: »
    I noticed that as well. In fact I was in the queue in the loo and next thing about 10 girls came in with orange faces. I couldn't get over it tbh. It's not like that on a daily basis just so ya know (they must have been your fellow open day attendees).

Most of them were really... that or actual students just decided to carry around prospectus' for the day :D It wouldn't put me off the college, just because some people can't put on their make-up... It was just an observation, as last year, it definately wasn't that bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I guess they just assumed not too many people would be interested in stuff in both the Arts block and the Science end (which is silly, of course).

But they're supposed to make the decision Irish or Science on my behalf by me attending lectures and whichever impresses me more :)

FAO Sarcastic Fairy: I went to Med, Science, Pharmacy, Radiation Therapy, biggish med ones, got into them all no hassle *shrugs*

FAO Sarcastic Fairy: I went to Med, Science, Pharmacy, Radiation Therapy, biggish med ones, got into them all no hassle *shrugs*

That was just me being a wee bit nosey! :D But my god you got yourself around! I went to 3, one of which was so my friend wouldn't be one her own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Piste wrote: »
    Just back from the open day now, I have to say I was pretty disappointed. All the health sciences talks were in a lecture theatre right beside all the science talks so that park of the Hamilton was really packed. I didn't get into either Medicine talk despite being 20 minutes early for both, and when they said they were adding on an extra one at 3 I was pretty disappointed cos I have piano at 4.15.

So yeah, pretty badly run and disorganised day, UCD's was way better.

That's really unlucky. I went into the 9.30 talk at twenty past with no problems and there were definitely seats there until half/twenty five to.

That really sucks.

The economics lecture, well the hour and twenty minutes that I stayed, was really entertaining, so much better than the TSM talk. And Dave MacWilliams is my new hero! What a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah the place was packed out today... after my exam my class wandered towards the Pav and jaysus the number of people around the Arts Block... (Pav was empty though, which is probably a good sign). They really should have anticipated the numbers and planned talks accordingly tbh.

• Advertisement

That was just me being a wee bit nosey! :D But my god you got yourself around! I went to 3, one of which was so my friend wouldn't be one her own!

9 15 till about 2 40 :D

Met some people I knew who are from the country, and were like im gonna go to like 2 talks then go shopping :P
    Yeah the place was packed out today... after my exam my class wandered towards the Pav and jaysus the number of people around the Arts Block... (Pav was empty though, which is probably a good sign). They really should have anticipated the numbers and planned talks accordingly tbh.

It was packed (Arts Block), TBH id say the Pav would be ridiculously careful with so many potential underagers on campus, also it doesnt look like a pub/bar.

Saw a ridiculous amount of people going straight from TCD to pubs on Nassau St :D

It was packed (Arts Block), TBH id say the Pav would be ridiculously careful with so many potential underagers on campus, also it doesnt look like a pub/bar.

Saw a ridiculous amount of people going straight from TCD to pubs on Nassau St :D
    Well, the Pav serves hot food (it looks delicious! ... I am too cheap to get anything but chips), you can't buy alcohol without a trinity ID though, and they say whether or not you're underage.

Anyway, this is digressing madly... *backs into shadows*
    Oh and I second the "don't get a bad impression of TCD off the open day" sentiment. Certainly in my course, if anyone is full of themself they're in a tiny minority. Most people are perfectly sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

GA361 wrote: »
    That was a terribly organised open day.
    Couldn't get into the law,medicine or dentistry.A whole load of dossers there.

How come you didn't get into dentistry? The lecture theatre was only about half full for both of the dentistry talks. At least 4 whole empty rows at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

There was a whoal load of people crowded around the door when we arrived and so assumed it was full.Obviously we misread the situation.

Anyway, this is digressing madly... *backs into shadows*
    Oh and I second the "don't get a bad impression of TCD off the open day" sentiment. Certainly in my course, if anyone is full of themself they're in a tiny minority. Most people are perfectly sound.

I enjoyed it, thats all that matters to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I enjoyed the open day. Lovely campus, seem like decent people. Went to 2 talks, Comp. Science and Comp. Science and linguistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I enjoyed it. The physics professor started throwing out packets of m&m's. Alas I was too far down the back to get any:(. He was a bit odd. I've never heard a man talk about packing with such enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I enjoyed it too, got to everything I wanted to, only had to queue for the Science one at 12:00 for a while but that didn't bother me. I didn't really learn a whole lot about the actual courses at the lectures though, like the Physics fella just talked about packing, the Geology guy was just on about the universe and I can't remember what the biochemistry lady was on about, wasn't very interesting. I guess they're just trying to give you a sample lecture as opposed to course info.

Thought it was a much better open day that the UCD one (well the one last year), which was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I enjoyed it.

Dave mcwilliams is a complete ledgend as anyone who attended the lecture can attest to!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

So, what did everyone think?

Loved it! Gave me a bit of much-needed motivation to study through the holidays. AND a free bookmark. You wouldn't get that at UCD... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i was very disappointed tbh... only really went to see medicine and the organization for that was just a joke. i got stuck outside with the hundred or so others

anyone who did get into it mind saying what it was like?

I shall move the posts in the "Open Days" thread in here, so prepare for some confusion!

I shall move the posts in the "Open Days" thread in here, so prepare for some confusion!

Not confusing just a good idea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I thought the open day was a bit crap tbh.
    I couldn't get into the medicine talks, so going up was basically a waste of my time.
    (I got up at 6am for this!!)
    I had a great oul' time though as I met a few friends who're already studying up there. Didn't learn much about anything though...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Was an okay open-day, although I thought DCU was more engaging. Went to the Comp. Science lecture, just backed up the information I had gathered on the courses.

Enjoyed picking up the Bull Frog at the Zoology stand, no monkeys though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Hm, pity to hear so many people didn't get into talks, I did gather as much from looking about.
    I was one of the guys in the "Here to Help" orange jackets in the Arts Building. Talking to the organizer at the end of the day, it seems they had way more people show than were expected, and unfortunately when the largest lecture theater in trinity still gets filled I don't think there is a huge pile they can do..
    Truth be told, most of the talks aren't very orientated on the course, and rarely provide any useful information - the best insight is to be had by dropping by the stand. If you're looking for input on any specific course post a question on the TCD forum, or contact the department specifically - they are generally very happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

have to say of all the open days ive been to, it was the worst.
    i felt it was badly organised and we were just left to wander by ourselves,
    the people at the stands i was talking to weren't that helpful, unlike DIT, and as soon as they had answered one question moved onto the next person.
    was expecting it to be much better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I enjoyed it, thats all that matters to me
    I enjoyed the open day.
    I enjoyed it. .
    Jello wrote: »
    I enjoyed it too, nfo.
    I enjoyed it.

With a vocabulary like that, how can we NOT get into college?

With a vocabulary like that, how can we NOT get into college?

Nice contribution, you really added to the thread there.

{Luckily I shall most likely not count English for points}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Was I the only one utterly bemused by Chemistry Sylvia handing out Roses and Ferrero Rochers and basically talking sh!te and trying to be funny for the kiddies for the duration of her talk, forcing Interesting Sylvia to quickly skip over her comparatively interesting-looking talk?

Very annoying.

Advertisement