Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Open Day

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah, the chemistry talk was terrible. It didn't really go anywhere. Then again, most of the talks are usually boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I walked in for 5 minutes, realized it was absolutly packed and left.

But then again i'd rather get my degree from a hermit in a cave in bulgaria than go to trinity... so i'm a bit biased :P

UCD/DIT FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You realise DIT degrees used to be (essentially) conferred by Trinity? (Okay, University of Dublin, which nowadays is almost synonymous with Trinity, as far as I understand it.)

You realise DIT degrees used to be (essentially) conferred by Trinity? (Okay, University of Dublin, which nowadays is almost synonymous with Trinity, as far as I understand it.)

What does that have to do with Trininty being better than DIT? If your trying to say that TCD is better than DIT then that makes no sense, so what if trinity gave the the graduates their degress? Doesn't make Trinity a better school.

Sorry my friend but whenever someone says Univiersity of Dublin to me i instantly think UCD, so do the vast majority of my friends and i'm pretty sure the rest of the country.

Firstly, I was not suggesting that Trinity is in any way better than another college. You simply said you'd rather not get a degree from Trinity, then said DIT was great. I was pointing out that until recently(ish), DIT degrees CAME from Trinity.

Secondly, University of Dublin refers to Trinity College. It's not a question of "which is the biggest/best college in Dublin?", it's simply the name.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I was not suggesting that Trinity is in any way better than another college. You simply said you'd rather not get a degree from Trinity, then said DIT was great. I was pointing out that until recently(ish), DIT degrees CAME from Trinity.

Secondly, University of Dublin refers to Trinity College. It's not a question of "which is the biggest/best college in Dublin?", it's simply the name.

Sorry for the misunderstanding there, tis a flaw of mine to jump to conclusions. What exactly do you mean that they came form trinity, all the lectures would have been at DIT, are you saying that they were just presented in Trinity?

I was saying that UCD is synonymous with University of Ireland in the eye of the general public. I didn't say that UCD was better than TCD, in fact Trinity probably is better that UCD in most aspects. Reason i don't want to go to Trinity is because i'm hoping to do Mechanical Engineering and i was talking recently to a guy in Human resources for Toyota and he told me that mechanical eng. degrees from DIT and UCD are always considered before those of TCD, due to the fact that the UCD and DIT degrees are more practical. However if i wanted to do Law or Arts TCD would probably be my first choice.. even if the points are RIDICULOUSLY high.

DIT only gained university status within the last... 20 years maybe? So before then the conferring body of degrees was the University of Dublin. Lecturing etc. happened in DIT, it was just a question of bureaucracy etc. afaik.

And well yeah, different places are good for different things. I don't think a university would put out a BAD degree as it were, but the emphasis is likely to differ. I like TCD because I'm intending on going into academics, so I don't need a practical side. : p (Also I'm doing theoretical physics, practical doesn't come into it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

DIT only gained university status within the last... 20 years maybe? So before then the conferring body of degrees was the University of Dublin. Lecturing etc. happened in DIT, it was just a question of bureaucracy etc. afaik.

I dont think it has University status :D

TCD is a University, an exceptionally highly rated one too :pac:

It also has a decent sized campus ZING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

The city is DIT's campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Trinity.......eughhhh can't stand the place!! Went there for a year and hated it so moved to DIT. Best decision ever!!!

• Advertisement

cautioner wrote: »
    The city is DIT's campus!

An EXTREMELY punctuated section of the city, TCD is in one piece.

Does DIT have a Gym that is in the same building as a Nano Tech Lab? (The Incidently fall apart every so often ie once so far)

Fad wrote: »
    Hm true, not officially. Its degrees are recognised to the same level, though.

And Fad, does a gym really need to be in the same building as nano tech lab? : p

Hm true, not officially. Its degrees are recognised to the same level, though.

And Fad, does a gym really need to be in the same building as nano tech lab? : p

I'd say if your looking for a job abroad (depends where of course) ALOT of people wont have heard of DIT, while TCD is in the top 49.

YEAH!

But that said, DIT might just hit back at TCD and have a Picotech Lab with 2 gyms.

TCD is a University, an exceptionally highly rated one too :pac:

It also has a decent sized campus ZING

DIT is recognized as one of Ireland's 7 universites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭EyesLeft

TCD, UCD, UCC, NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth, UL and DCU is seven; DIT isn't recognized as a university, although that reflect the local weirdness about dividing 3th level institutions into two distinct groups, DIT would be a university in other countries, as perhaps would CIT, LIT and WIT. DIT's new campus is going to be great. The current building stock is a mixed bag.

Internationally, TCD has by far the best reputation, followed distantly by UCD and then UCC and perhaps NUI Galway because everyone loves Galway; for local employers the situation is more complex and subject and specification dependent.

It doesnt have actual university status though!

(It has applied for it, but does not have it)

I'd say if your looking for a job abroad (depends where of course) ALOT of people wont have heard of DIT, while TCD is in the top 49.

YEAH!
    Aye but which is gonna look better:
    An engineering graduate with a fancy TCD degree,
    or an engineering graduate with a DIT degree and experience in the industry that their course was aimed at? : p
    Not saying that TCD graduates can't get experience, I'm just saying, okay, reputation of college is one thing, but the most important thing is getting a good degree (that is a first if you can), getting work experience, making connections etc. The prestige of your university isn't going to get you a job on its own. : p

The prestige of your university isn't going to get you a job on its own. : p

I suppose, but! It'll help

Advertisement