Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advise on poor quality of apartment

• 11-12-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi

i was wondering if anyone has any advise for me who is either in the same situation or has experience in the area.. my story goes

i bought an apartment through the affordable housing 2 years ago. the apartment is in a great location, average size and well maintained area.
    i have real issue with the soundproofing of my apartment and soundproofing between me and my neighbours (above and below me)
    i can hear my neighbours walkaround all the time - she had carpets and wooden floor - she walks around in her slippers but you'd think she was in her high heels
    i can hear them opening their wardrobes/doors/ turning on light switches etc
    i can hear their tv/ music
    i can hear noise from their water pump so if they go to the bathroom in the middle of the night it would wake us up
    when they put on the washing machine my living room shakes and ictures have fallen off the wall
    within my own apartment (and i rent out the spare room) my own pump was noisy but i got a company in to soften the noise.

i have spoken to a company and they can test the noise level internally in my apartment and with the consent of my neightbours a test showing the level of sound proofing between our apartments
    it will cost approx €1250.

my question: if it is found out that the apartment does not comply with building regulations - can i approach the council? or am i wasting my time and money and better off looking at soundproofing apartment on my own or selling at a loss? i don't think i can put up with this much longer.

any advise appreciated - thank you

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moznips wrote: »
    the noise was actually not the pump i was hearing but the noise from the water running through the pipes. he detached the pipes from the wall, sealed the partition wall with soudproofing material and now we all can sleep.
    Sorted? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Thats a good question OP and one I think we'll all be hearing alot more in the next couple of years. Alot of professionals are aware of the shocking quality of some buildings built over the last 10 years.

I know that actually seeing a member of the LA building control dept on a site was extremely rare and I know from experience that if I wasent happy enough with the quality of a construction to certify it there were plenty of others out there that would.

I personally dont see anybody putting their hands up to volenteer to resolve your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

muffler wrote: »
    Sorted? ;)

yes = noise is much better, i'd say about 50%. i cud continue to to get more done and reduce it further but i'm happy to stop now.

tks

M

Advertisement