Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band tattoo's!!!

• 11-12-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Anyone got any band tattoo's,
    the love or regret?

I got the down logo tattoo'd on my right leg,
    I kinda regret it i keep meaning to get so extra added on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Probably better suited to here

I would never get any band tattooed on me. My taste of music is constantly evolving, as I only like a handful of bands that I listened to 10 years ago (a Dire Straits tattoo is a no no), so it is a given that if I were to get a tattoo, I would seriously regret it within a few years. That said, there are a lot of metal bands that would make good tattoos. The logos for Emperor and other black metal bands with near-incomprehensible writing would make a good shoulder-shoulder back tattoo.

IMO, if youre gonna get a tattoo, it should be big and should complement the shape of the body part it is on. Worst tattoos (again, IMO) are the small ones on the shoulder that appear to have been there because the wearer wanted a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I have the snake from the Metallica black album on my back. Its there 15 years now. Not a huge Metallica fan anymore but I dont regret it as it reminds me of good times. It looks quite faded beside my new tattoo so it may need a touch up.

New tattoo is my son's name but I incorporated the Opeth "O" into his name.

I agree that taste in music does change so a logo might be better than the actual band name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I realized that it was probably a bad idea to get a band tattoo as my music taste will probably be a bit different when I'm in my 60s. Instead, I got a tattoo of a treble clef to symbolize music in general.

I know a girl who has the Avenged Sevenfold tattoo on the small of her back. She is definitely going to regret that! There's also a guy I know who was in a Slipknot tribute band and got the band's name tattooed on his chest. Why? Just why?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Im never a big fan of band tat's we once had a lad in a band years ago that wanted to get our bands name /design tattooed onto his arm, we had to try talk him out of it saying that we'd probably be changing the name soon... the reality was we were sacking him as soon as our current line-up of gigs was done with.. :-/ oops

the only band i would ever consider inking onto me would be Metallica.. simply cos i have been a fan since roughly 1986 and they have brought be through a lot of sh1t in my life and will always have a special place with me.. (no matter how many st. angers they release hahaha)

a mate of mine has about 5 or 6 bands tattooed on him.. its your hide do with it what makes you happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

got the alice in chains sun logo on my shoulder, but without any writing or "aic" on it. turned out weird seeing that layne was found dead on my birthday..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I remember I heard of this guy who use to sell bootleg tapes on O'Connell bridge back in 80's and Dee Snyder from twisted sister had signed his arm and didn't wash it and had a tatooist go over it. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If i were ever getting anything band related on me, itd be after the band was over for the simple reason that you never know what kind of an album a band is gonna put out next.

Id also never get the bands name, just a cymbol of the band so that even if you end up going what the hell was i thinking noone else realises what it is(unless they like the band themselves that is).

But still to each there own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I have the 2 pink floyd hammers marching on my arm and wittily 'In the Flesh?' written beneath it. It was the first song i ever liked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I know it's not a band but I know someone who has '2 Pac forever" tattooed on his chest. There is a pic of the man himself underneath I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

62002_f496.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Tuff! I remember them! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA etc :D

Ho-Hum wrote: »
    62002_f496.jpg
    O yea seen that before, hillariously baaaad tattoos!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Been thinking about getting an AC/DC one for a while.
    Still might do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm thinking of getting "The Devil and God are raging inside me" in script somewhere. It's the name of a Brand New album. I mean, it's also a pretty cool line and i do ****ing love the album, so i miiight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Ho-Hum wrote: »
    62002_f496.jpg

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I got this on my arm last week, Smashing Pumpkins symbol in case anyone doesn't recognise it. Can't see myself regretting it, I've liked them since I was 11, that's 13 years now..

449598821a9617395645l.jpg

That tattoo is ace, where did u get that done?

Patricide wrote: »
    That tattoo is ace, where did u get that done?

Thanks. Tattoo Zoo in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Don't think I'd ever get a band tattoo. Don't like the idea at all.

Though, Den M's is cool because there's no actual name mentioned. Just a symbol. :)

Exactly, the symbols are a good idea, the name not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Jaysus

This dude'd a badass,
    haha.

jeez didnt think i would get much reply's on this thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ive always wanted to get this tattoo on my wrist
    FooFighters-RoundLogoPatch.jpg

Huge fan of the Foo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Ive always wanted to get this tattoo on my wrist
    FooFighters-RoundLogoPatch.jpg

Huge fan of the Foo's

Wouldnt actualy be a bad tat,
    minus the red circle and black outline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

On the topic of band tatoos. Here is a vid of Head, formerly of Korn , getting his new album cover tattooed on his leg.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pyfy_la-ink-head_creation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I got the Pearl Jam stick man done when I was about 18. I don't really listen to them that much anymore but like someone else said, it's a nice reminder of a fun time. I got it done about 2 inches above my ankle so even if I don't want to see it, a pair of boots will cover it up nicely.
    Funnily enough, I got a tattoo in Australia of a celtic design done like a stone effect and one of my mates said to me that reminded him of the Van Halen logo from 5150,which I was well chuffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Den_M wrote: »
    449598821a9617395645l.jpg

Nice! That would be the only band related tattoo that I would get... or possibly the fairy from Alice In Chains' Tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Got the Judas Priest symbol tattooed on my arm. Nothing major really but they were pretty much the band that started me on way into metal and years later are still my favourite band (by a looong way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 myst

i think its a ridiculously bad idea to get a band logo . . . but artwork or symbols are a different idea, there are a few id love to get, like the main figure on testaments souls of black album, the fairy on the back of black sabbath albums and the 4 zepplin symbols. . . i know they are very cliche but still think they are savage cabbage!! also they are bands that have been round for a long time and have stayed consistant (relitavly) ! like the guy who got the down logo, must have had it a few years so when down were fairly new ?? i duno but sounds to me especially if ya regret it that it was a "cool" thing to get cause down were "cool"?? . . .maybe??

myst wrote: »
    i duno but sounds to me especially if ya regret it that it was a "cool" thing to get cause down were "cool"?? . . .maybe??

Why else would someone get a tattoo of a band name or symbol? If you didn't completely love the band and really liked the piece, you wouldn't even dream of it. Damn, there goes that Ace Of Base number I was going to get on my forehead next week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 myst

Den_M wrote: »
    Why else would someone get a tattoo of a band name or symbol? If you didn't completely love the band and really liked the piece, you wouldn't even dream of it. Damn, there goes that Ace Of Base number I was going to get on my forehead next week...

well for me a tattoo has to be more then just cool , has to have a bit of meaning . . . not just a trendy thing! thats the point i was trying to make. i have one tattoo , its an ambigram of the word music, and it means alot to me. . . but thats me !! even the bands i had mention mean alot to me, each have their place as major part in my life so . . . but i still wouldnt get the words "black sabbath" on my arm . . .

Advertisement