Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl telescope 22nd December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sorcha08

hey i'm new to boards cos im looking for some advice on taking up astronomy for the new year - i've seen that Lidl have telescopes on sale and they look quite good! can anyone tell me what i need to be looking for in a telescope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

sorcha08 wrote: »
    hey i'm new to boards cos im looking for some advice on taking up astronomy for the new year - i've seen that Lidl have telescopes on sale and they look quite good! can anyone tell me what i need to be looking for in a telescope?

Check out Slade's sticky on this subject.
    Plently of good info in there, enjoy your new hobby :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055203633

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Ok im into astronomy but ive never had a telescope before which one of the lids should i get

I want a good one either of the two most expensive look and sound good but i dont really know what id be paying for

Could someone please help me

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Ok im into astronomy but ive never had a telescope before which one of the lids should i get

I want a good one either of the two most expensive look and sound good but i dont really know what id be paying for

Could someone please help me

If you are going to pick one the the Lidl scopes then the LXD 75 would be the one to go for, it's a reasonable if dated telescope.
    If I were you I would go for this given the sterling rate at the moment
    it's not motorised but in terms of bang for buck you won't do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Quick question what do you actully see when you look through a decent telescope 'ie something over 500' what do distant stars look like ? Can you see mars or venus or do they just look like stars

• Advertisement

Firstly stars will look a little brighter and you will see alot more of them but they will always be just points of light no matter how big your telescope is.

The planets Jupiter and Saturn will be clearly defined disks and your should be able to see banding in the clouds on both planets with a 6" newtonian and with good seeing you should be able to see the cassini division in saturn's rings.

Mars will be an unimpressive small orange looking disk and you would struggle to see much if any detail on it.

Venus will appear very bright but lacking in detail and appears in phases much like the cresent moon.

Uranus and Neptune will only appear as points of light in a 6" Scope.

There are lots of nebula and galaxies to see but these will appear greyish and fuzzy with structure visible in the brighter nebula.

You should not expect to see colour through the eyepiece when looking at deep space objects, long exposure photography is required to bring out colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

This is hobby I have wanted to get involved with for a long time. I want to invest in my first telescope but want to marry it with one of my present hobbies - photography.

I do want to photograph the night skies - what do I need to hook a camera or PC onto a scope?

D

Advertisement