Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work still plentiful?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Just back from a month holiday seeing mates in Sydney, and I am already aiming to get back in by the end of January on the WHV. Pretty much anyone I knew out there was walking into jobs like that, just been talking to my mam however and she says two girls she used to work with went out and cant get any work, and are thinking of heading home two weeks in. Now, Im half wondering if this is true and half wondering if this is some made up negativity in the oul ones head tbh, but has there been a downturn in job availability? I have experience in the retail and food service sector from when I was younger, and 3 odd years in call centres and finance. Reckon I will be grand? I know construction has been on the slip as the christmas brak approaches but I wasnt really going for it anyway, reckon the rest is safe?

Also, can a WHV get granted over the weekend? Sydney was rife with rumours that the WHV for Irish was to be curtailed, is it still a case of every one granted as long as you dont have a record or other serious barring reason? I wanted to apply yesterday but forgot my passport when I went to town :( Tried onlin tonight and discovered my CC is on some bizarre system whereby even though th DD pays it off I have to authorise new over 600 limits or some bollix (HATE using CC and online payments generally tbh, I knew it would fail somewhere)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yerra you can have your visa sorted in a week.
    I've heard conflicting stories about the work situation. My ma said the same thing "I know this girl and that girl etc etc...." :)

Maybe she doesn't want you to go!!

Maybe it depends on what line of work you'd like to get into....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

seachto7 wrote: »
    yerra you can have your visa sorted in a week.
    I've heard conflicting stories about the work situation. My ma said the same thing "I know this girl and that girl etc etc...." :)

Maybe she doesn't want you to go!!

Probably not. Fact is though I cannot stay here. The pair she knows may be just a bit worried from th lack of accomadation round xmas and NY, who knows.

Maybe it depends on what line of work you'd like to get into....

tbh I am just looking for anything to pay the accomadation and buy the (appalingly cheap) beer. No particular sector in mind- hell, I doubt the pay is great but being one of the ice lolly sellers on the beach must be the sh1t :) Paid to walk around in the sun all day with....ahem...good views :) Basically anything where I am not stuck in a sweaty kitchen all day (Ive done it before back here, must be hell over there) or tied to a desk. I pretty much reckon I could save more in a poor paying job over there than my 27K job here. I love Ireland and am proud as anything to be Irish, but this country has been destroyed by profiteering cnuts trying to bleed every last penny out of the customer in return for minimal service. Main reason I am leaving. Well, add in work boredom, decent nightclubs, ease of pulling, weather, friendliness of service staff, sense of togetherness you get in Irish bars a million miles away that is bizarrely missing from merry oul Dublin......ok, there are alot of reasons to abandon this sinking ship :) . But the cost of living and savings potential ranks pretty high. As does the breath of fresh air of having been to a country where freebies are actually freebies, where there is no catch for getting your free pitchers of punch and vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah can take 48 hrs if you have no convictions/medical stuff
    Sydney was rife with rumours that the WHV for Irish was to be curtailed
    Someone is telling you porkie pies mate.

hussey wrote: »

I hope so. I googled and found nothing, indeed I found some quota expansion from November instead :confused: Would be a pretty quick policy turnaround!

When I heard "50,000 applied within the last month!" stated, I smelled a rat like fish......

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mrben86

I applied for my WHV directly on the aus gov website and got an email confirming it was granted within 24 hrs.. was that easy! Im heading to sydney in feb, can't wait.. hope it wont be too hard to find a bit of work when i need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LBm oz

Hi - In oz at the min. Still plenty of jobs as long as your not too fussy. Perth is the palce to make money not sydney. Have heard numerous rumors about the visa curtailment but nothing solid so wait and see. Visa First will get you your visa in a few days plus a sim and a bank a/c very handy hope this helps

LBm oz wrote: »
    Visa First will get you your visa in a few days plus a sim and a bank a/c very handy hope this helps
    NEVER EVER go through Visa First - RIP OFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

LBm oz wrote: »
    Have heard numerous rumors about the visa curtailment but nothing solid so wait and see. Visa First will get you your visa in a few days plus a sim and a bank a/c very handy hope this helps

Did Visa First tell you this by any chance?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

It is true that there has been a reduction in job availability, the figures get quoted in the papers here every day. This is only set to get worse as with a good chunk of the rest of the world in recession more and more people will be coming to look for work here. Having said that though, Australia is still predicting growth in the economy over the next 3 years and at this precise moment in time there are still slightly more jobs than people to fill them.

slipss wrote: »
    It is true that there has been a reduction in job availability, the figures get quoted in the papers here every day. This is only set to get worse as with a good chunk of the rest of the world in recession more and more people will be coming to look for work here. Having said that though, Australia is still predicting growth in the economy over the next 3 years and at this precise moment in time there are still slightly more jobs than people to fill them.

I work in IT in sydney and so do my friends (or accountants/finance) most of them have all seen a slow down yes, companies seem to be much more careful now and don't want to do anything rash "just in case" also it is coming up to christmas, no one wants to take on new staff around this time
    my company pretty much have put on a freeze on new employees until feb, there are still jobs here, but it is not the boom time it was a year ago.
    and yes there has been big cuts in the CBD to cut costs.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/bad-signs-as-the-cbd-empties/2008/12/09/1228584832867.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My company are donwsiing slightly and there may be one or two lay offs in the new year.

Thankfully though I've been told I'm safe for the next 12 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

actually WA had the highest growth in unemployment recently. Rio Tinto, my employer, are letting 14,000 people go worldwide, they employ 15,000 in WA, which is just insane, so hopefully by worldwide they don't mean WA, or most of the state will be jobless!

Lol well I'm off to an all expenses paid Rio Tinto Christmas party tomorrow so maybe they're just cutting jobs to fund my alcohol intake!

The 14,000 is a bit misleading though as around 8,000 of them are contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Yeah can take 48 hrs if you have no convictions/medical stuff

why in the HELL is it taking me two weeks?! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Lol well I'm off to an all expenses paid Rio Tinto Christmas party tomorrow so maybe they're just cutting jobs to fund my alcohol intake!

The 14,000 is a bit misleading though as around 8,000 of them are contractors.

true but they're still being paid by Rio. Our one was last week your missus must be in central park or something, is the do on in kings park?

No it's on out in the Burswood. She works for a subsidary of Rio so think they might be havin their own thing.

why in the HELL is it taking me two weeks?! :mad:
    You aleady have a WHV for Aus already no?

The porkie pies was in reference to them stopping the irish WHV, rather than time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

You aleady have a WHV for Aus already no?

The porkie pies was in reference to them stopping the irish WHV, rather than time frame
    ah, i got the porkie pies reference, but ive been told about 10 working days for my aussie working holiday visa, which is being processed right now.

got the visitors e-visa one in about 20mins online though. im gettin kicked outta nz 2 days after xmess, so it's *essential* that my aussie visa comes through ASAP... 10working days is cutting it extremely, extremely close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    My company are donwsiing slightly and there may be one or two lay offs in the new year.

Thankfully though I've been told I'm safe for the next 12 months.

Jesus. They must do even less work than you! (is this possible?) Their post count must be, like, 50,000, or something!

Most of you are on about pretty high end jobs (IT and such) doing lay offs. General lower paid work in Sydney should still be ok though? I have no real interest in living in Perth. tbh I have no interest in living anywhere but Sydney, but Ill prob have to head North in May to July odd to avoid the Sydney winter and do my rural work bit (constant hauling of baggage and moving about seems to contradict this whole laid back living thing the Irish in Oz seem to adopt :) Id take the odd week long trip, but give me sunshine and a good nightlife and Im happy where I am). We had a touch of Sydney winter a few weeks back in mid November, it is somehow even more depressing than here (it even snowed for 2 mins! According to a few taxi drivers I talked to Aussie spring and summer aint what it used to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

The unemployment rate is 4.4% in Austalia now. The economy grew by 0.01% in the 3rd quarter which is dismal enough but much better than Ireland. Sydney would be worst hit by the recent job cuts in the financial sector & knock on effects but it's also the largest employer so it's hard to call.

There's work to be found all right. I think travellers are finding it difficult to get work (I haven't been talking to many though), especially in offices, but you need to get out and search everywhere and be creative with your CV and what you can do. I find you become a lot more resourceful when you're looking for work abroad.

I've also gotten the impression that the aussies, in Sydney anyway, are big into customer relations. Eg. if you walk into a retail store here someone will be straight up to you greeting you or will shout over from the sales desk. They speak very well and are very confident, the Irish tend not to be. Also aussies like to be served by aussies, it's the same in any country. So unless you've got a funky haircut or "superb" social skills, you'll have your work cut out in the customer services area.

Just be prepared for 3 or 4 weeks of job searching (full time). You'll find something if you put your mind to it. Also get a plan together, ie. leave Sydney if you haven't got a job after spending say 2,000 bucks. And start being a cheap cu*t. You'll find a lot of people in financial hardship or coming home early are careless with money or not getting off their arses looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, just want to clarify this up quickly. I'm looking at going out to Australia(Melbourne or Sydney) next summer. Have over 4 years experience in the pub trade and food service sector combined. I don't want to spend so much money to find out that I cant get a job when I arrive there. So would it be handy enough to get a job out there next June in a pub say for 2 months?

I do know about some course that must be done about th responsible sale of alcohol, so would have to look into doing that either here or immediately upon arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Check out www.seek.com.au to find out about work prospects.

As for the "Responsible serving of alcohol" cert, which you'll need to apply for pub work, there are lots of places that run the course...
    http://www.bartending.com.au/index.php
    http://www.hosptrain.edu.au/short_courses/responsible_service_of_alcohol?gclid=COSZiNaBv5cCFRIcawodDXMxSg
    ... to name a few. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

If you have not got a great employment potential and your earning potential is not huge DONT GO TO SYDNEY ......

You could be bankrupt in a few weeks there if the job hunting dont work out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

guys can i ask how much is a WHV visa anyway?

missannik wrote: »
    Check out www.seek.com.au to find out about work prospects.

As for the "Responsible serving of alcohol" cert, which you'll need to apply for pub work, there are lots of places that run the course...
    http://www.bartending.com.au/index.php
    http://www.hosptrain.edu.au/short_courses/responsible_service_of_alcohol?gclid=COSZiNaBv5cCFRIcawodDXMxSg
    ... to name a few. :)

Cheers for those man. So does that mean I'd have to go over there, and say choose this course?

http://www.bartending.com.au/courses.php?ContextCategory_ID=6

Its only one day thing, and is that all I'd need or would I have to do the workplace hygiene one too? Once its clarified I can see what options I have. Thank god its only a one day course too.

Oh, and someone mentioned about not going to sydney for some reasons cos if lack of money is involved...well, could get free accommodation, so it still may work out:D

Swindon wrote: »
    guys can i ask how much is a WHV visa anyway?
    $190 = 95euro ish

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Mushy wrote: »
    Cheers for those man. So does that mean I'd have to go over there, and say choose this course?

http://www.bartending.com.au/courses.php?ContextCategory_ID=6

There are plenty of courses in Sydney, like this one...

http://www.oztrains.com/index.php?option=com_ats_schedule

I'm sure google would come up with heaps of training places. :)
    Mushy wrote: »
    Its only one day thing, and is that all I'd need or would I have to do the workplace hygiene one too? Once its clarified I can see what options I have. Thank god its only a one day course too.

Oh, and someone mentioned about not going to sydney for some reasons cos if lack of money is involved...well, could get free accommodation, so it still may work out:D

You'll need to have the RSA certificate if you are planning on working in a pub, they won't touch you otherwise. Also helps if you have the Responsible Conduct of Gambling, as a lot of pubs have pokie machines (:mad:) Wouldn't hurt doing the workplace hygiene as well (some courses have the 3 included for a cheaper rate then doing them seperately.)

missannik wrote: »
    There are plenty of courses in Sydney, like this one...

http://www.oztrains.com/index.php?option=com_ats_schedule

I'm sure google would come up with heaps of training places. :)

You'll need to have the RSA certificate if you are planning on working in a pub, they won't touch you otherwise. Also helps if you have the Responsible Conduct of Gambling, as a lot of pubs have pokie machines (:mad:) Wouldn't hurt doing the workplace hygiene as well (some courses have the 3 included for a cheaper rate then doing them seperately.)

Alright, cheers for all that. shall be able to check it out and decide what I'll do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement