Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail Master moves to GeoLives

Options
  • 11-12-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Looks like new Trailmaster/Geolives has launched.

see here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Whats the best handheld GPS to use with this software?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Looks like new Trailmaster/Geolives has launched.

see here
    Yeah, I "upgraded" on Wednesday and the 1.9GByte of OSi 1:50k !@#$% maps I downloaded don't work, and the support email I sent remains unanswered 2 days later except for a confirmation (in French!).

Anyway, it isn't much to write home about. A very slightly updated version of the old Trail Master software, and that's it, apart from the whole "community", "sharing" thing which is of no interest to me at all.

joewicklow wrote: »
    Whats the best handheld GPS to use with this software?
    Doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Alun wrote: »
    Yeah, I "upgraded" on Wednesday and the 1.9GByte of OSi 1:50k !@#$% maps I downloaded don't work, and the support email I sent remains unanswered 2 days later except for a confirmation (in French!).

Anyway, it isn't much to write home about. A very slightly updated version of the old Trail Master software, and that's it, apart from the whole "community", "sharing" thing which is of no interest to me at all.

So how does upgrade work? When you 'upgrade' does it download the corresponding maptiles from geolives that were included on TrailMaster cd.

Not that you're able to see the new map tiles - but I guess the maps you downloaded would be more up to date?

I don't have the old Trailmaster product, but would it be cheaper to buy the old East coast product for E50 then 'upgrade' to Geolives to get the new maptiles OR just sign up to geolives as a new customer and download the equivalent East coast tiles .

So how does upgrade work? When you 'upgrade' does it download the corresponding maptiles from geolives that were included on TrailMaster cd.
    Yep, that's about it. You have to register your PC on the site, download and install the software, download a "country kit" for Ireland which is just a large scale street map, and then download the tiles you're allowed to based on your previous registration of Trail Master.
    Not that you're able to see the new map tiles - but I guess the maps you downloaded would be more up to date?
    No idea yet :D
    I don't have the old Trailmaster product, but would it be cheaper to buy the old East coast product for E50 then 'upgrade' to Geolives to get the new maptiles OR just sign up to geolives as a new customer and download the equivalent East coast tiles .
    Each individual 1:50k map tile costs €1, and there are 89 tiles in the OSi East version of TM, so it would seem to be a cheaper option to buy Trail Master and upgrade to me.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's about it. You have to register your PC on the site, download and install the software, download a "country kit" for Ireland which is just a large scale street map, and then download the tiles you're allowed to based on your previous registration of Trail Master.
    No idea yet :D
    Each individual 1:50k map tile costs €1, and there are 89 tiles in the OSi East version of TM, so it would seem to be a cheaper option to buy Trail Master and upgrade to me.

Actually. its even more of a bargain, Trailmaster is only E25 (not E49) on irishmaps.ie

irishmaps.ie site is shocking.

If you try to register on the site it bombs out with SQL error as they are trying to insert into 9 columns but only 8 placeholders are specified.

Worst still, from the insert statement they are storing the users password in plain text.

Was able to order if I didn't bother registering account. Trailmaster for E25 is a bargain, think it was once about E100.

( I also find it ironic that sign-up mandates a post code. Fair enough that it is using the Worldplay engine but I guess OSI do have a role in the eventual roll-out of postcodes in Ireland. )

irishmaps.ie site is shocking.

If you try to register on the site it bombs out with SQL error as they are trying to insert only 8 placeholders while they specify 9 columns.

Worst still, from the insert statement they are storing the users password in plain text.

I also find it ironic that sign-up also mandates a post code. Fair enough that it is using the Worldplay engine but I guess OSI do have a role in the eventual roll-out of postcodes in Ireland.
    I know .. it's a pile of !@#$, it really is.

Did you get your issue resolved?

I signed up to geolives last week and downloaded 2 tiles as a test and they installed OK.

My E25 east coast Trailmaster disc arrived today so I'm planning to enter the dvd key in geolives to download the east coast tiles tonight.

I signed up to geolives last week and downloaded 2 tiles as a test and they installed OK.

My E25 east coast Trailmaster disc arrived today so I'm planning to enter the dvd key in geolives to download the east coast tiles tonight.
    Not really no ... I eventually got a reply (after emailing someone on OSi who clearly gave them a shove up the arse). Essentially they told me to delete the map folder, re-buy and download the maps and try again. It didn't work (as I expected). I suspect it's some kind of licensing problem to be honest.

• Advertisement

The above worked for me. I now have all the east tiles installed.

I never installed Trailmaster as I have the updated geolives version. I just went to "Add a DVD code" section on geolives and added my DVD key. Downloaded 1.9GB file and installed the maps. The install took a while and vista thought it was 'Not Responding' even though progess bar was moving.

Only glitch I see so far is that I can't always see the whole 1:450000 map which should be part of Trailmaster. For tiles I haven't bought I get the grey '1:450000 map tile downloadable from our website'. I expected to see the whole of Ireland at 450000, but my bought tiles outlined with a red border.

Looks good otherwise!

I never installed Trailmaster as I have the updated geolives version. I just went to "Add a DVD code" section on geolives and added my DVD key. Downloaded 1.9GB file and installed the maps. The install took a while and vista thought it was 'Not Responding' even though progess bar was moving.
    That may be the difference. I have Trail Master installed already, and have also had some licensing problems requiring a 'reset' of my account, since I was presumptious enough to actually update my brand new PC's BIOS a couple of times :D (licensing works on a hardware signature basis).
    Only glitch I see so far is that I can't always see the whole 1:450000 map which should be part of Trailmaster. For tiles I haven't bought I get the grey '1:450000 map tile downloadable from our website'. I expected to see the whole of Ireland at 450000, but my bought tiles outlined with a red border.
    Strange. There is a poor quality 'thumbnail' view of each map in the top210_0vr and top450_ovr folders under c:\program files\geolives\data\ir\ which is the only thing I'm able to see at the moment.

What happens if you open up the 'data visibility' pane (F2) and lock it into the 1:450k maps. Do you see it then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They really should hire a native Enlgish speaker to re-write their blurb for the descriptions of the maps. :D

Whoever did their Dutch translation could probably do a better job than Google which is about the standard that they seem to have used, it is funny though.

robinph wrote: »
    They really should hire a native English speaker to re-write their blurb for the descriptions of the maps. :D
    Yes, it's absolutely terrible. One that made me giggle was "Frekently Asked Questions" on the Contact Us page.
    Whoever did their Dutch translation could probably do a better job than Google which is about the standard that they seem to have used, it is funny though.
    STAR-APIC, one of the partners, is a Belgian company, so they probably have Dutch speakers in house. In fact, reading through the Dutch language version of the website, there are a few subtle hints to be found that it was a Belgian Dutch speaker that wrote it (I speak the lingo!).

Strange. There is a poor quality 'thumbnail' view of each map in the top210_0vr and top450_ovr folders under c:\program files\geolives\data\ir\ which is the only thing I'm able to see at the moment.

What happens if you open up the 'data visibility' pane (F2) and lock it into the 1:450k maps. Do you see it then?

Nope. Tried that , I guess they are there , but the 'buy 450000 map' tile is being overlaid on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I was looking at the GeoLives site as I want to get terrain maps for the Wicklow mountains for my N95, so I am bit confused by GeoLives site.
    Is it best to go buy the trail master maps from irishmaps.ie and buy the mobile edition of GeoLives and then enter the DVD code into geolives and download the tiles?
    Do I have to pay seperately for each edition of Geolives for PC and Mobile?

Thanks
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I don't have any experience of Geolives but I'm trying the trial of ViewRanger on my N95 8gb at the moment and it's pretty good.

http://www.viewranger.com/

Advertisement