Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yates

Options
  • 11-12-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Is Ivan Yates coming back? He's never off the telly. On the panel now.

Does he fancy Inda's job or has he just joined celebland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

When he retired last time the main reason was that he knew they were going to get hammered in the election and he couldn't put up with years of being in opposition.

Perhaps he sees the next election as winnable all of a sudden (historically, FG tend to do better in elections after the economy goes down the toilet)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ivan Yates generally seems to articulate salient points borne of rational thinking and sound logic. He is self-assured, personable, likeable and reasonably comfortable under the spotlights glare.

Is he the "Anti-Kenny" ? ?? ???

- He'd get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

nah making too much money in the scam game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

he has a chance of leadership. or a cabinet position. should rejoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'd be pleased to see him coming back, he's got a bit of personality as well as coming across as intelligent and competent... though not sure he's any more on the telly now - he was never off it in the run up to the last election as a pundit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He said he wouldn't, finds the idea of being a glorified messanger boy for narky constituents a waste of his time and talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

He said he wouldn't, finds the idea of being a glorified messanger boy for narky constituents a waste of his time and talent.

That it is. However if fine gael look set to be in government he will be a minister,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ivan yates is the most charismatic politician ( former politician ) in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

sceptre wrote: »
    When he retired last time the main reason was that he knew they were going to get hammered in the election and he couldn't put up with years of being in opposition.

Perhaps he sees the next election as winnable all of a sudden (historically, FG tend to do better in elections after the economy goes down the toilet)

You are completely wrong about the reason why Ivan stood aside from politics. I know him personally, and of course I will not say one here why he quit, but it was most definitely not the reason you gave. Also he will not be making any comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You are completely wrong about the reason why Ivan stood aside from politics. I know him personally, and of course I will not say one here why he quit, but it was most definitely not the reason you gave. Also he will not be making any comeback.

Its a shame that he won't be coming back because he is a very capable politician and exactly the type of man we need to get things going at the moment, a businessman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

gandalf wrote: »
    Its a shame that he won't be coming back because he is a very capable politician and exactly the type of man we need to get things going at the moment, a businessman.

+1

I was sorry Brody Sweeney (Mr O'Briens sandwiches) didn't get in at the last GE for the same reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Excatly the type of man we need my eye, the buisness he is involved in is imoral and thousands of people in ireland that can least afford it are hooked on gambling, its profiting from peoples misery. On questions and answers he was all for loyying the goverment to let bookies introduce fobt's into ireland, for those that dont know what these are they are fixed odds betting termials which are the crack cocaine of gambling, jeez we would have a nice society then wouldnt we, gambling is worse than any drug be it drinking or drugs, for example you can only spent so much on drinking and drugs, you could spent 10,000 in 2 minutes gambling if you were addicted, it destroys lifes and you have no chance of ever winning, for if you were to win consestently you would be banned from betting with the company as in they would monitor you and refuse to take your bets, so its not a level playing field they just want poor unfortunate people to gamble there wages away so they can be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well to be fair it is a valid argument.....

As for never winning; of course you'll be allowed win enough to ensure you keep on coming back to lose day after day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

... the buisness he is involved in is imoral and thousands of people in ireland that can least afford it are hooked on gambling, its profiting from peoples misery....

Whatever happened to personal choice?

However I agree that huge problems are connected with gambling addictions. Perhaps some sort of levy could be imposed whereby companies that profited from gambling would have to fund gambling addiction treatment centres.

So are all his media appearances just to boost the profile of his company?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Trailerboy its still a step up from the current batch in power who have pillaged the country pandering to their developer financiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Maybe some people on here should go to gamcare and go to there forums which is full of people where gambling has ruined there lives, i am a reformed gambling addict myself so i know that gambling is one of the bigest prooblems in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

nah making too much money in the scam game.

I wouldn't say that now. No Christmas bonuses for staff apparently and did you see the Sunday independent a few weeks back whereby he was letting staff go?
    He is a very capable man though in all fairness. Don't they say he was the best Taoiseach Ireland never had?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Raiser wrote: »
    Ivan Yates generally seems to articulate salient points borne of rational thinking and sound logic. He is self-assured, personable, likeable and reasonably comfortable under the spotlights glare.
    True, but he is also liberated somewhat by not having to defend an unpopular position or policy.
    I also feel he gets treated pretty favourably on tv because he is not a campaigning politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Him and Alan Dukes are the only Fine Gael politicians I have ever respected or liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Personally I think that Ivan Yates is an insufferable arsehole who only gets wheeled out to spin this that or the other. His slavish pro Lisbon stance was almost oscar worthy, how many radio interviews and TV appearances did he do in order to plug the Lisbon treaty?, too many to count?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

As the days go by I think he is more likely to become a paid pundit on some news station as his bookies is in big trouble. He nor his wife are drawing salary, people have been laid off and he is struggling big time. He is a good man and in many ways it would be great if he got back into the polilical arena however he seems to have it media wise and I think he will end up as a G Hooke or Dumphy of current affairs!

He seems nice enough, would like to see him back in politics and off the airwaves too because he's a poor presenter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

one of the most charismatic and personable people in ireland , a shame he left politics as he would be fine gael leader by now and would easily lead fine gael to a landslide at the next election , you dont need a charismatic in power but you need one to get into power

irish_bob wrote: »
    a shame he left politics as he would be fine gael leader by now and would easily lead fine gael to a landslide at the next election

He never struck me as the brightest fellow though. He has had a few foot in mouth moments on the radio. I think I remember that he talked himself into a little bit of a mess when he claimed to be at two separate meetings which happened to have taken place at the same time when he was Minister? Seems affable, but not sure he would be shrewder than the likes of Kenny or R Bruton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Good answer ;)

I'm glad he's not coming back, I'm finding it hard to find reasons not to vote FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

irish_bob wrote: »
    one of the most charismatic and personable people in ireland , a shame he left politics as he would be fine gael leader by now and would easily lead fine gael to a landslide at the next election , you dont need a charismatic in power but you need one to get into power

Charismatic? Is there more than one Ivan Yeats out there? I don't find him to be charismatic at all. He's personable enough, but that's about it.

A Fine Gael leader? Not a chance. There's already one in place and another in waiting and in any case, it seems that he's not making a return to party politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont think he would go back in to politics. He was asked about constituency politics one night and from his description I dont think he was too enamored with the lifestyle. Plus he seems to like his other careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Smiley1

Today Ivan Yates congratulated the publication of the report from An Board Snip with the words Well done Colm and Co!. The question I would like to ask Ivan is - Is he in receipt of any State pensions and if so is he over 65? If he is on both counts would he like to hand back the money please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yates wrote a very good editorial in the Examiner yesterday:

For all their failings entrepreneurs remain the meat in the sandwich

Of course the trade unionists will fail to admit that the entrepreneurs are nothing more than people to hurl abuse at, yet economic recovery lies with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

turgon wrote: »
    ... Of course the trade unionists will fail to admit that the entrepreneurs are nothing more than people to hurl abuse at, yet economic recovery lies with them.

Put not your faith in merchant princes.

I find the glorification on entrepreneurs, capitalism, and profit tiresome. I find the attitude that the rich have no significant obligation to the rest of society tiresome. Just remember that bankers and property developers are entrepreneurs, and were recently being lionised.

Advertisement