Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD - System Stops

• 12-12-2008 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭

well recently iv upgraded my system and installed a fresh copy of xp..and since that i have been having major BSOD poping up everywhere

System Specs
    WD 640GB Caviar
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIE
    CORSAIR 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ NON ECC
    GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H - NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Chipset - µATX
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.4 GHz, cache L2 8 MB Socket 775

And the errors i have been getting
    0x0000004E
    0x0000000A
    0x0000007E
    0x000000DE

(i just had another one while writing this thread good thing firefox saved the text i wrote)

now most of them are memory failures or memory_corruption, and the other ones are to do with ati3duag.dll which happens during a game ( i checked for solutions but none of those worked for me)

i have tried and spent alot of time going through different forums and looking up those errors and so far no luck in fixing them.
    my mother board supports ram at 1.8V and i checked and it is running at that speed. also in performance settings i set ram to 3250Mb to make sure it is as it should be.

i run a memtest today which had no errors im all out of ideas i dont know what to do. can anyone help plz. and i do not plan installing a new copy of xp cause i just reorganized my stuff installed alot of programs and games and i know for a fact that i might not escape these problems with new xp copy.

anyone can help..links to other website would be useful but i think i went through alot..usually dont make a thread but find others but in this case im frustrated.

EDIT: IT IS getting really worse iv had 2 0x000000DE dumps in 10 min and this happens when im browsing firefox. im so angry right now. i seriously thinking of reintalling the whole thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

How many times did you run memtest (Windows Memory Test)? I've had memory test OK on 4 or more runs then "warm up" and throw error after error so I'd leave it running the fuller tests overnight before I was sure there was no problem.

Also had these type of errors (dif BSOD error codes each time) when there are other hardware problems....

CPU overheating or damaged
    CPU Cache damaged - kill it in the BIOS and see if the BSODS stop but the machine will crawl
    Blown Motherboard Capacitors!!! Quite Common. Could also be caps on the graphics card but that normally causes a hard reset.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195 has loads of info on blown capacitors google it yourself and see that its not that rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

i figured out it was ram

i testeed it and it was everhaeting and was not able to run anymore so xp jsut gave me a load of stop errors. the crases mostly happen when the system is under stress liek gaming or alot of programs running.

the current ram is on its way to be RMA and i will purchase a diff type and see if the problem persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hope that fixes it and is the likeliest cause, but while you've got the case open do take a look at the capacitors as there is no tool other than your own eyes to test for the problem and it only takes a couple of minutes so its worth a good hard look with a torch and even a magnifying glass just in case. Blown and leaky capacitors also tend to start off creating the odd annoying BSOD and the problem often gets worse untill the machine won't even boot, and that might be what happened to you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bulging capacitors are usually only seen on very old systems or on a few batches of particular PC's , like Dell optiplex 270's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Can you post up the mini dmp file from the BSOD? (C:\windows\minidump)

• Advertisement

well i reinstalled xp

and i only had one dump so far that was when the ram was overheated that was yesterday when i just reinstalled xp and had far cry 2 on instalation...so far with my case opened and a little les temprature on the system no errors so far..with gaming,..with programs running. what i did was found this thread

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/233285-gigabyte-ga-73pvm-s2h-build-question-s.html

and adjusted the ram settings as suggested in there to 5-5-5-18-23-2T, so i think now that ram is running at rate it was designed to its running ok.

and dumps are usseless i went through alot of forums and did alot of reading it is just a way of windows saying something is not running righ tbut you gotta find out what..and i have here it was my ram overheating or wrong settings. hopefully it will be ok for a while

i will post back later

thank you for the replies

well turns out it was ram

i got a new set today

gskill-6400-dark-pi_9920.jpg

and it has been running 6+ hours with gaming no errors so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hoser wrote:
    and dumps are usseless i went through alot of forums and did alot of reading it is just a way of windows saying something is not running righ tbut you gotta find out what.
    I peferred the old dumps where they gave you the addresses of device drivers, on occasions you could actually spot a dodgy driver

Advertisement