Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Poker Aims - We really mean it this time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

R__J wrote: »
    LOL you couldn't even tog out for the Old Wes 3rd's!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Breifne

myself and my two housemates have agreed to start training on Jan 5th.

In the meantime we will be researching where we are going to do it, setting out a training program, setting out a strict diet etc..:pac:

Noel,

there is one in Camlough (just outside Newry) in july sometime, was at it a few years ago for work. I'd be interested in training with you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Some of the people ****ing on about doing a triathlon have about as much chance as myself of completing one. Delusional meeses indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Conbro wrote: »
    Some of the people ****ing on about doing a triathlon have about as much chance as myself of completing one. Delusional meeses indeed.

Bah Humbug. Typical Broomers.

Bah Humbug. Typical Broomers.

lol so whats the lineup then Stephen? Yourself, Noel Hayes and Breiffne ? That'll be a sight to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not all Conor i genuinely plan to do one with/without a prop bet and have been in training for a while, just the swim section to master.

Sammy would deffo be interested in a bet let me know your conditions when you have done your research

lol so whats the lineup then Stephen? Yourself, Noel Hayes and Breiffne ? That'll be a sight to behold.

I guess so, Ian, Daragh, Adam have all said they'd like to do it too?

It annoys me when people begrudge others because they would like to do something that might be out of reach. It annoys me even more when it comes from people who's only real form of excercise is the short walk to the chipper and the profuse sweating they get from ordering their dinner box.

guess so, Ian, Daragh, Adam have all said they'd like to do it too?

Oh excuse me. I take back everything I said since you included the names of these 3 heavyweights of endurance sport:rolleyes:
    It annoys me when people begrudge others because they would like to do something that might be out of reach. It annoys me even more when it comes from people who's only real form of excercise is the short walk to the chipper and the profuse sweating they get from ordering their dinner box.

I dont begrudge anyone anythin m8 and on the contary, Im quite aware of my own limitations and harbour no ambitions of walking into town, let alone completing a triathlon. However I am fascinated by the combination of the deluded gambler and sheep like tendencies of your typical boardsie in generating such an explosion in the popularity of the triathlon in these parts.
    And btw, my local chipper delivers to my door:D

Not all Conor i genuinely plan to do one with/without a prop bet and have been in training for a while, just the swim section to master

Best of luck to you Fran, you're the one person around here I would have confidence in to complete such an event. Don't expect to see any of these wasters at the starting line

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Best of luck to you Fran, you're the one person around here I would have confidence in to complete such an event. Don't expect to see any of these wasters at the finishing line

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Best of luck to you Fran, you're the one person around here I would have confidence in to complete such an event. Don't expect to see any of these wasters at the starting line

ive not seen any odds offered yet on me completing a mini triathlon.

5000/1000 would be nice

Oh excuse me. I take back everything I said since you included the names of these 3 heavyweights of endurance sport:rolleyes:

I never said they were heavyweights, I simply said it isn't just me, noel and breifne who have declared an interest.

I dont begrudge anyone anythin m8 and on the contary, Im quite aware of my own limitations and harbour no ambitions of walking into town, let alone completing a triathlon. However I am fascinated by the combination of the deluded gambler and sheep like tendencies of your typical boardsie in generating such an explosion in the popularity of the triathlon in these parts.
    And btw, my local chipper delivers to my door:D

If you're quite aware of your own limitations why tell someone what you think theirs are? Does it make you feel better being the big superior "realist" letting people know that you think the goals they set are delusional?

Ok Conor, put your money where the burgers usually are and give me odds? If Im such a waster Im sure you'll give me a nice price that shows your confidence in me not completing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ace2007 wrote: »
    FYP

no, i'm pretty sure starting line is more apt.

no, i'm pretty sure starting line is more apt.

Of course, finishing line would be far too ovbvious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Breifne wrote: »
    Noel,

there is one in Camlough (just outside Newry) in july sometime, was at it a few years ago for work. I'd be interested in training with you for it.

we can start off jogging a few nights a week in that rugby/cricket ground down on Park Avenue - i literally couldnt run 2 laps of a pitch now without collapsing - so i reckon small steps is the way forward.

I reckon by mid feb id be of sufficient fitness level to begin a hard training program which will eventually wind up with us in newry?

damn this thread is gonna be very funny when it gets bumped next christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

we can start off jogging a few nights a week in that rugby/cricket ground down on Park Avenue - i literally couldnt run 2 laps of a pitch now without collapsing - so i reckon small steps is the way forward.

I reckon by mid feb id be of sufficient fitness level to begin a hard training program which will eventually wind up with us in newry?

damn this thread is gonna be very funny when it gets bumped next christmas.

Gud idea starting off slow and easy if you want to be around to read it.;)

Ok Conor, put your money where the burgers usually are and give me odds? If Im such a waster Im sure you'll give me a nice price that shows your confidence in me not completing one?

lol you werent so precious and sensitive when you were slapping your c o c k out on the desk in the Jacpot were you? Is there really something offensive about questioning the confidence of a group of people who spend a typical day sitting around playing poker with little or no exercise to complete a high endurane event such as this. Im not going to start getting personal but at least two of the people who put their names forward would be classed as clinically obese. Its the equivalant of someone who has never played poker before in their life backing themselves to beat 1000nl within 3 months. If you want to start getting all high and mighty then you go ahead Stephen, it doesnt bother me. I'm merely stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

lol you werent so precious and sensitive when you were slapping your c o c k out on the desk in the Jacpot were you? Is there really something offensive about questioning the confidence of a group of people who spend a typical day sitting around playing poker with little or no exercise to complete a high endurane event such as this. Im not going to start getting personal but at least two of the people who put their names forward would be classed as clinically obese. Its the equivalant of someone who has never played poker before in their life backing themselves to beat 1000nl within 3 months. If you want to start getting all high and mighty then you go ahead Stephen, it doesnt bother me. I'm merely stating the obvious.

LoL No I wasnt and Im not now. What is offensive is the fact that these people, myself included want to do something positive about their health/general well being and begrudging prícks like you are no help at all. Telling them they have no chance, or that they are delusional? How does that help anybody?

Being clinically obese is more of a reason to start this kind of excercise. Not a reason to stay away from it. The only one getting high and mighty is you, comments like

and

are condescending and make you come across as a bitter man.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There are different levels of fitness, and as such the degree of difficulty of completing an olympic triathlon will vary wildly from person to person.

If you are currently very out of shape and overweight, and haven't exercised regularly for a couple of years then the idea that you will be able to complete such a challenge (within any sort of semi - reasonable timeframe) a few months hence is quite ridiculous. To get from where you are now -> just being able to get around a Sunday league football pitch for 90 minutes and compete to a decent level would be incredibly, incredibly difficult. Then to go from there to being able to complete an Olympic Triathlon above walking pace is much harder again.

Over the past three months or so I've started exercising properly again and **** me it's so hard. About four years ago I was in excellent shape and was a well rounded athlete playing sport at a high level. In the back of your head you think it'll always be a case of just starting up again; putting up with a few weeks of pain and, whammo!! You'll be back in something approaching peak shape after a couple of months. Unfortunately that isn't the case. :( You carry more body fat then you really allow yourself to comprehend = and losing it is much tougher than you could imagine. And on top of that, your muscle strength, durability and lung capacity will have decreased massively.

I can understand the psychology of some of the posts in this thread of course. You can't escape thoughts of what you could do when you were a teenager or in your twenties or a few years ago, whatever, i.e, when you were fit. You just can't comprehend how far things slip.

And you have no idea that the real hard part is the psychological war that you end up raging with yourself once the realization that A) you can now only complete 5% - 10% of what was once your standard workout and B) getting back to being an above average athlete on a general level is likely going to be out of reach. Too much time has passed and damage been done.

With all that being said, I would still love to see this happen. Could make for a great sweat over the next few months. Sammy, if I was you I'd be wary of the terms you set and escrowing beforehand. But I'd surprised if you couldn't work our very plusEV terms on your end because, ultimately, pride makes fools of us all. :)

12 months is a lifetime in terms of cardiovascular fitness. Hell, 6 months is a lifetime too. All it takes is dedication. I dont claim to be some sort of high level athlete, or endurance prodigy but I know Im dedicated enough to do it, now even more so.

edit: good post as usual though. Obv fair balls for getting back into a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

back to the goals.

I'm not going to say something like "be beating 600nl by this time next year" and then fail miserably. I've realised poker is a pretty non important part of my life so I'll play when I feel like it to enjoy it and see how it ends up.

Non poker goals:
    Move into the city until October
    Stop smoking asap
    Put on a couple Kg of muscle
    Try to be a more positive person in general, and stop getting really pissed off by stupid things such as people walking slowly in the street.

I also really want to bone a milf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

go fatties, I think ye can all do it, :rolleyes: conbros (hilarious) post and LL posts are unfortunately spot on, (for me) however one or two of you could do it methinks as ffs ye can't be more than 25ish and 12 months training is sufficient for you ...

methinks i'd be citing my final thoughts if I tried triathlon training......

Oh squiggly line.....look forward to the props though,

where is hotspur btw ?

nearly had heart failure laughing at this tonight.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If BigDragon can do one.....

Where is that pic of him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I play football 3 times a week, cycle most days and go to the gym when I get a chance. I would be pretty sure I could already do both of the cycling and running sections (separately); so although I don't think it would be easy, I don't think its a ludricous proposition. I would imagine it would be the same for Steve.

If I was going to bet on it, I wouldn't like to have to beat an average amatuer time. I wouldn't expect my first time to be competitive against people who train and race all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

1. Knuckle down and manage to move up to 100PL maybe 200PL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Meh, I dont swim so no interest in a triathlon. The Vegas marathon held every December is tempting though, anyone want to offer me odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Set up the prop bets you guys...Time to back up all this tension with some monies:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Dunno if its that hard Lloyd. I was v fit as a teenager, but then didnt nothing but play golf for excercise for 7-8 years and I started basically from zero fitness in January, ran 2-3 times a week and was able to do 5 miles easy enough after 2 months. Though I didnt have any weight to lose in the process.

Advertisement