Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Poker Aims - We really mean it this time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

-Get on hendon mob
    -build a decent bankroll online
    -qualify into a few >€1000 buy ins. preferably IO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Is it that time already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

in 2009...

at least I set some achievable goals this year
    I will buy a jumper like YULETIRED's

fail, I couldn't bring myself to it
    I will also learn to love the Fitz

done
    I will stop tipping beggars

done, has resulted in massive downswing though
    I will play Omaha for the craic

done
    I will win a meelion dollahs

massive fail

Poker:

Play less and learn to enjoy the game againDone
    Put a proper roll online and actually learn to play this game properly.Yeah... this was never gonna happen

Non-Poker

Qualify for the Bar Done
    Break 100 in golf Done
    Complete my Woodbadge Done
    Score with a f**king header this season (I've hit the crossbar 4 times this year!!) Done

Not a bad old year in terms of goals. Feel pretty good about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

ionapaul wrote: »
    2009 Poker Aims:

1: Make 50% more money than I did in 2008 (this is a challenging but achievable goal I think)
    2: Don't kid myself that I am going to focus more on online cash; if I happen to do so, fine, if not, fine, no point saying it every year and then playing <20,000 hands!
    3: Improve ROI %'s both live and online in MTTs and STTs - do this by focusing on the games that I perform the best in (going through my quite extensive records over the past few years should help)
    4: Spend more time on 2+2 and try to contribute further than answering questions about PPP and the Irish Open
    5: Organise another 'pool & beers' night and defend my title of 'most unlikely pool shark'! :)

1: LOL, the first half of the year was slightly above breakeven (due to live cash) and the second half has been below breakeven (I have run terribly though) - at this point I'll probably end the year with a very small four figure or possibly three figure loss, compared to a five figure win in 2009. This year I probably played <50% of the poker I played last year.
    2: I did play much less online cash than the previous year, despite this it was one of the few areas to show a profit this year
    3: LOL, my ROI %'s in both MTTs and STTs are abysmal in 2009, I played badly and ran badly, I only had 40% of myself for one of my only live results (and I never usually bother with staking) which still stings to think about!
    4: My only posts on 2+2 were work related (PPP) or organising my 5 days in Vegas in July
    5: Fail, gotta get this sorted in the New Year!

It's the first year in four where I'll probably end the year showing an overall loss - marginal but even so, I didn't expect to be typing this when I wrote the above almost a year ago...that being said, there are still two weeks till the year is officially over! :)

It will be interesting to see how everyone else's poker year has turned out - better or worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

smurph wrote: »
    2009 goals

POKER
    1. Qualify for the Irish open - Done, but played like a handbag at it

2. Qualify for the WSOP - FAIL - Never Tried

3. Win a €500 + tournament - FAIL

4. Try to be nice to Bob Battersby Job done

NON POKER

1. lose Weight, and stop whinging about it, make a bigger effort his year Lost some weight - lots more to do

2. Go on holidays to a Country ive never been to -FAIL

3. Try not to get so stressed out in work, remember lifes too short FAIL

4. Prepare the spare Room for the overnight parties when IKEA opens Haven't been to IKEA yet

5. Try to find a place to learn Sign LanguageDid a course, quite tough, will do another one... really enjoyed it

6. Keep in touch with non poker friends more.FAIL

2010 Goals

Enjoy life more

I would like everyone to work extra hard this year on getting the BBV thread to 100,000 replies

wp all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Goals for 2009:
    Be rolled (and overly so) for $200NL. - At one point during the year it was looking good. Alas it wasn't to be.

Stop spewing: At one point during the year it was looking good. Alas it wasn't to be.

Perhaps play a live tournament rather than report on them? I don't think the Brucepoker Launch freeroll counts!

ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

I failed to complete the marathon. I did lose two stone training for it and I've pretty much kept that weight off but I didn't do enough running miles and didn't risk a Hail Mary effort on the day.

I'm keeping up a reasonable level of exercise at the moment but the discipline to run the longer distances (over 5-6 miles) at least three times a week just wasn't there over the summer. I'm a lot fitter and healthier then I was this time last year but of course I'm somewhat disappointed that I didn't reach the goal.

I paid Lao Lao the €200 I owed him which has been passed onto his charity.

I wouldn't say that I'd manage the task next year either tbh. I think a more realistic and useful goal might be to try and reduce my 10 mile running time and get out for long cycle trips at the weekend as I'm not sure if I'm physically or mentally cut out for proper long distance running.

Having the aim was useful and thanks to a lot of regulars for the genuine encouragement over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

digiman wrote: »
    Play in Irish Open FAIL, FU Bru
    Play in WSOP ME and a side event Played ME so only half a fail there
    Have a 5 figure cash in tournament $8k ain't 5 figures :(, FAIL
    Play online super sats for big tournaments PASS, qualified for WSOP from 3 supersats
    Make $50k+ from online cash FAIL
    Have played 25k hands at 5/10 Managed 1k hands, FAIL

This year I will set the same goals I think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

zuroph wrote: »
    -Get on hendon mob
    -build a decent bankroll online
    -qualify into a few >€1000 buy ins. preferably IO.
    lol. Rollover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

AdMMM wrote: »
    ugh.

Bruce Poker Launch freerole. Your welcome.

Id guess my aim was something along the lines of never playing poker again this time last year. Somehow,thanks to finally accepting the internet as a million times handier/better than the live pokes Ive played more than I ever have and somehow fallen into an uneasy peace with the game.Overall last year had highs and lows but was still super/best ever and touch wood all in the coming will go aswell. Goal is pretty simple,stay happy,do my best and let the rest take care of itself.

On a side note Im pretty sure It would have been a sweep on the Triathalon bets,afaik Hj was the only one to complete one (which tbf wasnt a huge suprise as he was always the most likely). Like the point I was trying to make-saying things is about a million times easier than doing them! Still good goal to have I guess and gl to all in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Flushdraw wrote: »
    -Play 50k hands of .5/1
    -Qualify for the World Series
    -Back Ivey to make the final table of the main event
    -Back someone to break the youngest winner of the main event record
    -Lump money on some bloke from Newcastle to win x-factor
    -Back Chelsea to be top of the league on 17/12/09
    -Predict Phantom_Lord to become a mod

Fail
    Fail
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Fail
    Fail
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass
    Pass

lol

Classy quoted post Tony :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Originally Posted by El Stuntman
    I will play Omaha for the craic

done
    Yea but you had to give up gambling for lent as a result :cool:

time for 2010 goals thread imo; top of my list = start tipping beggars again

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well start the thread then. It's usually your job anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Personal
    1. Loose a stone in weight and build on fitness levels. 1/2 stone will have to do
    2. Complete a triathlon. Never got around to this
    3. Look to buy another property investment abroad. Money is staying under the bed for now, although i did manage to get out of the bank shares relatively unscathed:eek:
    4. Get the new Warehouse up and running in work. On budget and on time, really enjoyed this work project

Poker
    1. Final table at least 3 of the large events next year. Only played around 50% of the tourneys I would have liked and will have to make do with the Irish Masters final table
    2. $150,000 profit between live and online. Way off actually probably the worst return in 5 years of playing
    3. Play a minimum of 6k hands a month online. Played 4 months over 6k hands, again did not get the time to play as much as i would have liked.
    4. Be consistently playing and beating the higher plo levels. Dropped back down levels from 2008, was never really properly rolled for 25/50 in the first place

A big lol mostly but never got to play a huge volume of poker in 2009 with work and new arrival but here is hoping 2010 will be a good one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

a-k-47 wrote: »
    2008 was a bit of a disaster for me, played very little cash, no big bi live tournaments, only played a few ecoop2 cashing in 3, withdrew roll to travel, so now back to busto levels.

2009 (dec 08)

* Get a few decent donkaments scores in oz. Starting next monday in the $200 fo. done played very little but had a great 5+ figure donament month.
    * Wait until im finished travelling ( should be early/mid 09 ) and deposit 20bi for 50nl and grind it out and hopefully be back to 200nl this time next year. Did not event attempt this, withdrew roll and went back to busto stakes.
    * Play the sun mill / warm up at least twice a month. Have yet to play these.B][Played these only a few times through steps, yet to cash[/B]

no intentions of cash grinding.
    Try qualify for a few major live events,
    make a few bob on the side,
    go gym so i can put on a gun show next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

HiCloy wrote: »
    Next year I will...
    - Play more hands
    - More theory, get better at datamining etc
    - Start playing online NL cash as well again
    - Qualify for Irish Open and play well at
    - Play at least one other decent tournament
    - Get more exercise, drink less, eat better

49,229. Last year I played 48,082. Success! And ran good.
    Theory yes, datamining etc no
    Fail
    Fail
    Played the JP masters, it'll do, except I didn't cash
    Fail, fail, fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Play in the IO
    Play in an EPT
    Play less
    Win a huge donkament

Most importantly played less, hopefully keep that up this year.

1. Play less
    2. Play more AIL
    3. Get back to full fitness
    4. Get my CFAs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

TommyGunne wrote: »
    I actually wanna post goals here for myself....

1. Get to Vegas this summer
    2. Play 20k hands of 400NL
    3. Have a winrate of ~5BB/100 at 200NL (little optimistic and I'd be happy with 3)
    4. Play 200NL PLO
    5. Have a score in a decent live donkament and hopefully graduate to be a real poker player on the Hendon Mob site
    6. Get back a level of fitness, and complete this: http://www.imra.ie/leagues/view/id/10/year/2008/
    7. Be all set up for a 1:1 in my course by December.

I'd prob be happy with 4 of these.

1) Fail. Too busy with all forms of work, so it wasn't really feasible anyway.
    2) Fail. Lost 10 buyins in 10k hands. I'll be back though!
    3) Passish. 3 will do.
    4) Fail. Have played a good bit of deep 100PLO and lotsa PLO tourneys, but no 200PLO
    5) Failed. Didn't play enough events, and the ones I did play I burnt the edges of cashing
    6) Epicly failed
    7) Not sure to be honest. Hopefully, but I think its much more likely that I get a 2:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

ye i will be back on here with epic fail in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    back to the goals.

I'm not going to say something like "be beating 600nl by this time next year" and then fail miserably. I've realised poker is a pretty non important part of my life so I'll play when I feel like it to enjoy it and see how it ends up.

Non poker goals:
    Move into the city until October
    Stop smoking asap
    Put on a couple Kg of muscle
    Try to be a more positive person in general, and stop getting really pissed off by stupid things such as people walking slowly in the street.

I also really want to bone a milf

forgot about this.

Pokerwise I barely play apart from the odd MTT or HU session when I'm bored and couldn't be happier with it. I still read theory and watch alot of videos because I enjoy it.

Now living in city center
    Still smoking
    Prolly havn't put on much muscle.
    I consider myself quite positive, and have come to the conclusion that people who walk slowly through busy streets in the city centre are the ones who are retarded.

Of course some people just can't walk briskly. I.e

Old people should either have their own lane along with tourists, or just not be allowed out of their house/hostel/old people home during rush hour.

people who are on crutches, have a sore leg, have short legs or whatever should be provided with a wheelbarrow or something by the state and be allowed use the bus lane.

Boned a milf too but she had no kids. Still a milf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

ianmc38 wrote: »
    My ambitions for 2009 both poker and non poker related (starting at my poker new year - March 2009)

1. Train for and compete in a triathlon.
    2. Progress from 1 to half ironman.
    3. Learn Chinese and Spanish.
    4. Learn to play guitar.
    5. Play 40k hands a month minimum.
    6. Earn 250k+
    7. Take serious shots at good 25/50 games
    8. Look into some form of alternative investment opportunity/business startup

1. Semi-training. Training 5-6 days a week anyway and recently hired a swimming coach.
    2. To follow
    3. Lol. Can speak a reasonable amount of Cantonese now, but 0 formal attempt at learning.
    4. Epic fail. Have a guitar. Never played it.
    5. Lol. Not sure if I managed 40k hands this year.
    6. Possibly did.
    7. Played a few.
    8. Work in progress

ianmc38 wrote: »
    recently hired a swimming coach.

make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

bohsman wrote: »
    Get out of it.
    Go to Vegas.
    Get back into it.

Almost out of it.
    Done.
    Still 2 weeks to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wreck wrote:

I didn't post in this thread last year, can't think why, but overall it's been a pretty successful year for me. I've made (a small) profit overall, have played more hands both live and online than ever before and I feel my game is now on a totally different level to what it was this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Killme00 wrote: »
    My goals:

Poker:
    Learn to enjoy the game again (stolen from kayroo) ACHIEVED

Non Poker:
    Waste less time cruising on the internet while at work HALF
    Enter three bjj competitions PASS, i fought in 5

Fight in two MMA fights FAIL, I fought in one and lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Not good
    funnyname wrote: »
    Poker

1. Play live at least once a fortnight - Fail

2. Sat into a live £500 buyin tournament - Fail

3. Read in full some of the poker theory books I've bought in the last 3 years - Fail

4. Try to have separate live and online BRs by the end of the year - Fail

Non-poker

1. Break 100 in golf - Fail

I might add more by the end of the month - Fail

Advertisement