Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it just people in the sticks who drive at night with no full beams?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I drove from Listowel to wexford (and back..:eek:) and at night I noticed a few langers driving in country roads with just dipped beams on...:confused:

wtf is it with some people, one car was infront troddling along and i'd swear If it could see where it was going at all, I wanted to see sign posts ahead but couldnt as they had no high beams on and it was too dangerous to pass out and I couldnt put on high beams behind it.

some people are just....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

* from research these people are also the ones who sometimes leave on fog lights, (front and rear), interior lights etc and who are incapable of passing out anything travelling faster than a bicycle.

And also who randomly hit switches when they leave the car and return with a dead battery in the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You know mentioning fog lights, etc is against the charter here. :D:D

In before this gets locked. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

meh

this is a perfectly acceptable thread:p

not like its a topic on fog .....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

to many rants in this forum of the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nothing you can do about it. They dont listen to advise, the radio notices, the television notices. They dont know the lights are there because when they started driving first(most likely) high beams did not exist. They were likely driving with a candle in a.................................candle holder thingy.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboatangdemetriou.files.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F05%2Fflogging-dead-horse.jpg&key=e5a3c1e6dff5de35b1c6e7c470411886&src=pub-2311827-www.wordpress.com&cp=&sb=1&v=3.60&size=large&lang=en-us&search_type=spasense&vis=0&origin=shots_bubble&act=only_link&po=0&rp=null&tok=0003494410f207e683993a8318906c1a028ffdb3db&has_img=1&ol=0&ex=0&ad=unknown&ip=78.137.175.196&ua=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28Windows%3B+U%3B+Windows+NT+6.0%3B+en-GB%3B+rv%3A1.9.0.4%29+Gecko%2F2008102920+Firefox%2F3.0.4&vid=3e26fc7bdb5da6e93757c4dafb8dd9b7&nl=1&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fboatangdemetriou.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F05%2F10%2Fthe-left-wing-media-attempts-to-resuscitate-new-labour%2F&svc=&rt=1229067972906&view_id=3e26fc7bdb5da6e93757c4dafb8dd9b7&goto=Go%20to%20%25URL&direct=1&sc=2&rss=1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd be happier if they remembered to switch to dipped lights the odd time, rather than dazzling everyone driving towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I drove from Listowel to wexford (and back..:eek:) and at night I noticed a few langers driving in country roads with just dipped beams on...:confused:

wtf is it with some people, one car was infront troddling along and i'd swear If it could see where it was going at all, I wanted to see sign posts ahead but couldnt as they had no high beams on and it was too dangerous to pass out and I couldnt put on high beams behind it.

* from research these people are also the ones who sometimes leave on fog lights, (front and rear), interior lights etc and who are incapable of passing out anything travelling faster than a bicycle.

And also who randomly hit switches when they leave the car and return with a dead battery in the morning.

What's wrong with driving with dipped beams on?

Or do you mean sidelights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What's wrong with driving with dipped beams on?

Or do you mean sidelights?

He means people not using the high beams when they should, dark road no oncoming traffic and so forth.

I hate these muppets, it makes it near impossible to overtake them as you just cannot see enough ahead of the to risk the move whereas if they had their highs on you would get a decent view of the road ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

*sigh*

another 'townie vs culchie' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

towel401 wrote: »
    *sigh*

another 'townie vs culchie' thread.

Well you hardly need high beams on in the middle of town do you?

when I pass these tools out I smack on my full beams nice and bright so I can actually see where I am going.

they might get the drift that, wow doesnt he have bright lights....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

[/sarcasm] Nah....they just know where they're going like the back of their hand. In fact the only reason they use lights at all is so that Hares can see them coming and get stunned so they can grab some dinner.

I'd be happy if they turned off the high beams after I pass them rather than blinding the hell outta me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He means people not using the high beams when they should, dark road no oncoming traffic and so forth.

I hate these muppets, it makes it near impossible to overtake them as you just cannot see enough ahead of the to risk the move whereas if they had their highs on you would get a decent view of the road ahead

Sorry but I don't get that.

If a car ahead uses dipped headlights instead of full, and you can't see far enough to overtake, then surely you simply shouldn't overtake :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

maybe but even on a straight road using dipped lights you cant see as far ahead as you could with full beams on. Full beams also let oncoming vehicles know that there is a car approaching (i.e around a bend, over a hill etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

what a load of stupid replies here, where does it say ya have to use full beams if i wanted to use the dipped lights there's no law to say i cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Why didn't you ask the sherpa who guided you around that mysterious fabled land known as 'Down The Country' ?

Only idiots would drive at night in winter with pitch black roads and god knows what lies ahead using just dipped beams...

no wonder Ireland is such a joy to the motorist with our idiotic drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Only idiots would drive at night in winter with pitch black roads and god knows what lies ahead using just dipped beams...

no wonder Ireland is such a joy to the motorist with our idiotic drivers

They're not idiots, it's just pure logic....

If you can see ahead clearly then you can see what you're about to hit and then you'll be obliged to stop and pay for the damage.
    However if you drive on dips (preferably one aimed at the ESB line and the other aimed at your own bumper) then you'll have no idea what that bang was so you just keep going because you've concluded it probably was a pothole.

Anyway some of them probably grew up with these so to them 55W dipped headlights seem like floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm getting a bit weary of motors. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

guil07 wrote: »
    what a load of stupid replies here, where does it say ya have to use full beams if i wanted to use the dipped lights there's no law to say i cant

its safer to use full beams when theres no oncoming traffic/built up area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

well being a culchie living in the city it seem that its just city dwellers that dont turn there lights on at all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

*Sigh.

Here is the only answer a person will ever need

# Use dipped headlights:

* just after the beginning (dusk) and before the end (dawn) of lightingup hours,
    * as long as they are needed to let you see clearly,
    * when stopped in traffic,
    * when meeting other traffic,
    * in built-up areas where there is good street lighting,
    * on continuously lit roads outside built-up areas,
    * when following behind another vehicle,
    * where there is dense fog, falling snow or heavy rain,
    * when daylight is fading, and
    * generally to avoid inconveniencing other traffic.

It is good practice to use dipped headlights or dim/dip lights, where fitted, instead of only sidelights in built-up areas where there is good street lighting.
    # Use main beam headlights in situations, places and times outside of those listed above.

Source Rules of the Road

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/driving-at-night.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

a good experienced driver will use all the controls in his vehicle correctly
    this means using full beams when driving in dark areas to light up the road ahead so as to alert him of anything which might be in front of him
    ie a person walking, cyclist or what ever
    maybe that is why they fit lights to our cars
    just a thought!!
    so only bad [EMAIL="sh@te"]sh@te[/EMAIL] drivers drive with dipped beams in dark places!!!
    most of em got a licence when they were giving them out and never had to take a test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit weary of motoring in Ireland.:(
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I prefer the terms High Beams, Low Beams and Parking lights. More descriptive to their function. Unfortunately it appears im "wrong" if the nomenclature in the RotR website is correct/accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

JackFrosty wrote: »
    this means using full beams when driving in dark areas to light up the road ahead so as to alert him of anything which might be in front of him
    ie a person walking, cyclist or what ever
    Yes, Good Dub! :rolleyes:
    (near clonmel? lost Dub?)

Pedestrians and Cyclists all love to be blinded by a pair of high-beam headlights straight in the face when they're out at night.

A special 'city' license should be issued to the many thousands of you who shouldn't be allowed on a road without streetlights, marked lanes, footpaths and cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP you're lucky they had lights on at all...

Still, a lot of Dubs are no better (and I say that AS a Dub myself) what with this fad in the last year of having just parking/side lights on and (optionally) fog lights instead of standard dipped lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you drive with full beams until you meet another car on the road... even i know that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I usually drive without full beams cos i don't drive too fast and its just a pain dimming everytime a car comes. But then if you're behind me i'll defo put them on to give you a chance to overtake if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Ha Ha Ha

What at utterly ridiculous rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I usually drive without full beams cos i don't drive too fast and its just a pain dimming everytime a car comes. But then if you're behind me i'll defo put them on to give you a chance to overtake if you want to.

Are you for real:eek:

Advertisement