Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon and National Sovereignty

Options
  • 12-12-2008 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Does the Lisbon Treaty supersede Bunreacht na hEireann?

It certianly does AFAIC and should be objected to.

We're embedded enough into Europe as it is without relinquishing our sovereignty.

It was paid for in blood and will be re-mortgaged with stupidity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I hate to break it to you but we agreed to limit our sovereignty when we joined the EEC back in 1970 odd ... the ECJ just agreed to respect the core tenets of various national constitutions. It's really a moot point at this stage as there are so many checks and balances in place so as to prevent the automatic overriding of a national states wishes. This is why Lisbon is causing so much hassle. I haven't as yet had a chance to read the treaty but it isn't as bad as the anti EU brigade would have you believe. If the current shower of eejits in office in Dublin could just explain clearly what the hell the treaty stands for they just might get a yes vote.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Already a current discussion here, with an answer to the opening question here. Feel free to join that discussion.

(I had to look up "AFAIC" btw, I tend to use "AFAIK" or more commonly "AFAIR" as I know a lot but have forgotten almost as much and in my head it stands for "as fast as I can":)) It'd be a worse banker than even we have to give out anything for stupidity, even in the sub-prime market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement