Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" just ready :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I've heard a lot of praise for Mint but it doesn't seem sufficiently different from Ubuntu to make it worthwhile switching. So... meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Well I prefer the visual style and not hunting down codecs and stuff, laziness prevails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've heard a lot of praise for Mint but it doesn't seem sufficiently different from Ubuntu to make it worthwhile switching. So... meh.

Could say the same thing about Debian in relation to Ubuntu :pac:

The code names for Mint are rather peculiar. Anything that makes the experience better or easier for the brave soldier trying things "on the other" side can only be embraced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I tried Mint for a couple of months on my lappy - have to say I didn't like it. I'm back on Intrepid now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Being using Mint 5 for the past 5 months in work and at home. I've found it great it has a slick interface, easy to use, all your codecs. It's great.

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote: »
    The code names for Mint are rather peculiar
    All girls names ending in "a", beginning with incremental letters of the alphabet.
    Greta or something will be next.

People name their servers? :p
    Well the main guy on Mint is based in Ireland I think so maybe he stole your idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I updated from 5 to 6 using the update script, warnings from Clem and all. It went smoothly until I restarted. I had to reinstall the nvidia drivers and then it was flying. I've come across a bug playing videos with Totem, skin is showing as blue. See here and here for info. Liking it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

using Mint 4 (darina??) for the past few months. can't fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

But besides codecs what's so special about Mint 6? After all you can easily get the restricted extras for the Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu distros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Galen wrote: »
    But besides codecs what's so special about Mint 6? After all you can easily get the restricted extras for the Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu distros.

* It looks better, less clunky.
    * Less hassle cos all codecs are installed. Youtube videos even play on firefox.
    * It has better support for wireless devices than Ubuntu. I've a friend uses a Zyxcel wifi dongle which is a hassle to get working on Ubuntu but works by default on Mint
    * It does seem to be a tad faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Sherifu wrote: »
    I've come across a bug playing videos with Totem, skin is showing as blue. See here and here for info. Liking it so far.

That's in quite a few distros lately. One simple way to get round it is to go into the settings in Totem and change the Hue to min or max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    * It looks better, less clunky.
    * Less hassle cos all codecs are installed. Youtube videos even play on firefox.
    * It has better support for wireless devices than Ubuntu. I've a friend uses a Zyxcel wifi dongle which is a hassle to get working on Ubuntu but works by default on Mint
    * It does seem to be a tad faster

I've just downloaded it so I'll soon find out for myself.

Sherifu: I don't used Totem myself, I much prefer SMPlayer, because you can assign the keys yourself and it has more options.

Advertisement