Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bye bye GM?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

problem is though ...this could have an avalanche effect.

On the face of it, no more dinosaur american cars sounds like a good thing, but there are other consequences.

The demise of the American car industry could (will?) drag down several european brands with it. This would almost certainly lead to closures in the Automotive supply sector also. Several of the large suppliers are struggling as it is. If a company like Bosch for example closed tomorrow, there would just not be any more American cars...there wouldn't be any cars any more.:eek:

Very few car makers these days are highly profitable, even fewer have a "war chest" of cash. The situation in the supply industry is even worse. It's mostly a question of turnover over profit. Take away a significant percentage of the turnover and they'll just go tits up ...end of the car industry as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Vauxhall VX220

They just rebadged the Lotus elise. If someone gave me a few million quid I could do that too.

I'm not in favour of these payouts at all. The whole point of private industry is that they are private. Otherwise we should just make verythign state owned and start stdying Lenin.

I work for a small plumbing company. (20 or so employees). Why does my company deserve free money any less than a big company if they get into trouble? How many companies and how much of the country do we keep bailing out to make everything ok? Theres not an infinite stream of cash in any economy to keep bailing them out.

If they are losing €52,000 a minute its because they are beign run badly. Chucking money at them wont change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Stekelly wrote: »
    They just rebadged the Lotus elise. If someone gave me a few million quid I could do that too.

I'm not in favour of these payouts at all. The whole point of private industry is that they are private. Otherwise we should just make verythign state owned and start stdying Lenin.

I work for a small plumbing company. (20 or so employees). Why does my company deserve free money any less than a big company if they get into trouble? How many companies and how much of the country do we keep bailing out to make everything ok? Theres not an infinite stream of cash in any economy to keep bailing them out.

If they are losing €52,000 a minute its because they are beign run badly. Chucking money at them wont change that.

What does it matter to you if GM gets bailed out. It doesn't affect you in the slightest!!

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs because of this. Show some consideration for those people

swingking wrote: »
    What does it matter to you if GM gets bailed out. It doesn't affect you in the slightest!!

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs because of this. Show some consideration for those people

I was talking about all the bailouts. ie similar ones for the banks etc.

Who is going to have consideration or care when I lose my job? It's the nature of of privat ebusiness. Iyou have a private company and get all the benifits of a boom into your own pockets, why should taxpayers money go to you when times are bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Like the US showed consideration by dropping its corporation tax rate to 5.25% to bring back all the profits we had been taxing until 2004??

Those jobs are no concern of mine. If it was my neighbour or someone, or that 100,000 people going on the dole in Ireland overnight, then it would be of concern to me, but frankly 100,000 people joining the 500,000 people that lost their jobs in the US LAST MONTSH....not MY problem, not YOUR problem and not STEKELLY's problem unless he's Henry Paulson in disguise posting on Boards.ie
    Stekelly wrote: »
    I was talking about all the bailouts. ie similar ones for the banks etc.

Who is going to have consideration or care when I lose my job? It's the nature of of privat ebusiness. Iyou have a private company and get all the benifits of a boom into your own pockets, why should taxpayers money go to you when times are bad?

It shouldn't. Consumers don't need GM, they do need banks though.

On the issue of Bosch etc....they've cut their working week, scale backs wil be necessary, but the lost output of these manufacturers is going to have to be partially replaced, most likely in Europe and Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

ninty9er wrote: »
    not YOUR problem

Well actually it IS my problem. I work on an IT servicedesk who support GM. When GM goes, I'm going to lose my job. Now think about that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I think that the Buicks on sale in China are badge engineered Corsas. Anything that GM makes is just plain badge-engineering. Whats an opel here is a saturn overthere. As for the govenment not bailing them out, then if they go, the American Car Industry will just be all European and Japanese makes such as Toyota, Nissan, Honda and BMW who have plants there as well as R and D. Rover went to the wall and they were never bailed out by the UK government. The brand just appeared in another part of the world purchased by the Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, Rover/British Leyland were bailed out several times at the expense of the UK tax payer over their lifespan before the British government finally let them die a couple of years ago.

Stephen wrote: »
    Eh, Rover/British Leyland were bailed out several times at the expense of the UK tax payer over their lifespan before the British government finally let them die a couple of years ago.

Exacty. So all hands point to not making that mistake again.
    Well actually it IS my problem. I work on an IT servicedesk who support GM. When GM goes, I'm going to lose my job. Now think about that !!

Think about what? Doesnt change a thing.

The company I work for directly will most likely fold in the new year. Wheres our bailout so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If GM is the only customer, the company deserves to go down for lack of a back-up plan. If the company has a good business model and strategic unit then your job is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

If GM is the only customer, the company deserves to go down for lack of a back-up plan. If the company has a good business model and strategic unit then your job is safe.

That is a stupid comment. Many many companies have only one large client. It isn't ideal, but sometimes that is the nature of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

And what will happen if GM go down? It will pull the most of the motor industry all around the world down with them and Toyota's march for world domination will continue. I know personally that I would prefer seeing the decent new cars that GM have been producing lately like the Insignia rather than the likes of the awful and incompetent new Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Im not 100% sure when I say this but im sure I read somewhere that GM and Ford are only loosing money in the states and that everywhere else, in particular Europe they are making good money. I cant see GM falling myself. I think its just more of a hand forcer by the US Gov against the United car workers union.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I think its just more of a hand forcer by the US Gov against the United car workers union.

I'd like to think so too. But what if the union decides not to cave in and instead call the bluff and the Gov washes their hands off them? Very big companies have disappeared overnight recently because they weren't spared / saved...

Advertisement