Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Run Flat Tyres

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

What symbol should be on tyres to indicate that they are run flat? I have read that all run flat tyres should have the RSC symbol on them, but is this true in all cases, or do different manufacturers have different symbols? If this is the case, can anyone tell me what would be on Firestone and Pirelli?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Switcharoo

What does run flat mean? No air? No rubber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mairtinomarta

They are tyres that have a hard side wall so that the tyres will allow you drive on them for 50 - 100 miles while there is no pressure in the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

not sure if its on all but i have had bridgestone and continental and they both had rsc on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bridgestone RFT (Run Flat Tire)
    Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology)
    Firestone RFT (Run Flat Tire)
    Goodyear EMT (Extended Mobility Technology)
    Kumho XRP, Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure)
    Pirelli RFT (Run Flat Technology)
    Yokohama Run Flat.

Thanks for your help guys. I am pretty sure I have been sent the wrong tyres. The sidewall is not so hard for one, plus there is no symbol of any type, either RSC, or anything that could relate to the deatails ned78 gave. If anyone has Pirelli or Firestone run flats, I would appreciate it if they could describe the symbol on them to indicate that they are run flats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

I had them on my bmw 520d.
    Now i have standard and far smoother ride.
    Never goin back.
    But i now got 4 bridgestone 18 inch tyres, 2 of which were brand new just left in my garage doin nothin.
    Still best thing for them is probably to leave them there doin nothin!!

Ya, the run flat are rought to drive on. Car has no spare though, so run flats are neccessary. I think suspension may need adjusting if you put normal / softer tyres on new BMW, as the suspension is set for run flat, so softer tyres may damage it over time. Worth checking out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would you consider tyreweld?

I don't think run flats can be / should be repaired. There is law or soon will be in the UK so that it would be illegal to repair run flats.

I received this info from Advance which kinda answers my original question.
    Firestone do not manufacture run flat tyres, however they are a sister company of Bridgestone and they do manufacture run flat tyres. These tyres should have the mark RFT.
    Pirelli run flats should have the mark Eurforio. Goodyear and Continental should have the mark RSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I don't think run flats can be / should be repaired. There is law or soon will be in the UK so that it would be illegal to repair run flats.

I received this info from Advance which kinda answers my original question.
    Firestone do not manufacture run flat tyres, however they are a sister company of Bridgestone and they do manufacture run flat tyres. These tyres should have the mark RFT.
    Pirelli run flats should have the mark Eurforio. Goodyear and Continental should have the mark RSC

Not a great reply I think from Advance because Bridgestone's mark is RSC. Any source for the UK law bit? It's certainly is not illegal to repair runflat's in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Switcharoo wrote: »
    What does run flat mean? No air? No rubber?

It means a feckin awful ride for a start - BMW cop the f*ck on - this might be ok on the continent but on Irish roads they are a joke !

robbie99 wrote: »
    Not a great reply I think from Advance because Bridgestone's mark is RSC. Any source for the UK law bit? It's certainly is not illegal to repair runflat's in the UK.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyres
    It is believed that the British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) are shortly due to make an official recommendation regarding repairs to Run-flat tyres.

Sorry, I took it up wrong as it was late when I was reading it. I did read somewhere else that most garages will not repair them and the manufacturers say not to repair them. Maybe they want you to buy new again, but I guess if the maker says not to repair, the garage is liable if anything goes wrong if they do repair one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

ned78 wrote: »
    Bridgestone RFT (Run Flat Tire)
    Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology)
    Firestone RFT (Run Flat Tire....

Just to add(on mine)

Continental SSR (Self Supporting Radial)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Sorry, I took it up wrong as it was late when I was reading it. I did read somewhere else that most garages will not repair them and the manufacturers say not to repair them. Maybe they want you to buy new again, but I guess if the maker says not to repair, the garage is liable if anything goes wrong if they do repair one.

Yeah, I think the garages want to stay safe and not repair them if they believe the manufacturers are recommending against it. The concern of the manufacturers is that at zero to low pressure, it the stiffened sidewall has been taking the weight of the car then it will have become damaged and should be dumped. However, if you notice the puncture before the pressure drops below say 30psi, then there should be no damage to the sidewall and the tyre should be repairable (subject to the same conditions as a standard tyre). But I see that etyres are only prepared to do this for Michelin runflats. Only the other day I was in a backstreet type tyre repair center and they told that they'd have no problem repairing my Bridgestone runflats. They're not worried that sidewalls could be damaged. In their experience the sidewalls are so strong that they're unlikely to have been damaged. They've found it a bi**h to actually fit new runflats - they sometimes break the fitting machines.

Advertisement