Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snyper for ladies lounge mod.. Aka 'snyper save the kids' Offichul ssf appeal thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What's the grand total for this running at atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Right, ive finally deposited my donation of 10,000 cents to the ssf fund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair play. I applaud you. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Let the games begin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This stinks of personal gain in the name of charity. Honestly snyper joking aside are you doing this for SSF or for yourself? I have given already and will be giving more to SSF but I won't be supporting you. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I wonder what your avatar will be if you end up modding the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Onkle wrote: »
    This stinks of personal gain in the name of charity. Honestly snyper joking aside are you doing this for SSF or for yourself? I have given already and will be giving more to SSF but I won't be supporting you. Sorry

This will prompt people to donate who might not have bothered otherwise (that's what happened in my case anyway). In return, he'll be made the imaginary boss of an imaginary room for a week. It hardly reeks of personal gain.

cornbb wrote: »
    This will prompt people to donate who might not have bothered otherwise (that's what happened in my case anyway). In return, he'll be made the imaginary boss of an imaginary room for a week. It hardly reeks of personal gain.

thank you.

i thought it was fairly fcukin obvious myself, but heh, we cant all be smart.
    How donating 100 euro to charity and trying to get others to donate is for 'my personal gain' baffles me.

i suggest onkle, that you, rather than knocking me devise a fundraising effort of your own.. It would be time better spent

Gordon wrote: »
    I wonder what your avatar will be if you end up modding the place.

vagina master, or master of the vaginas will do fine thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

snyper wrote: »

You know, you aren't making any friends doing that.

• Advertisement

But there are plenty of others things that Snyper could have done, instead of imposing himself on tLL and putting tLL mods and the admins in an awkward position where they would look like complete sh!ts if they didn't allow it.

And what really made me think this was when I saw a comment by snyper somewhere (I forget where) saying that 'i want this modship more than head from.....' That to me makes the whole thing look like it's for personal gain. I'm sure people would have donated to see snyper do something else.

i suggest onkle, that you, rather than knocking me devise a fundraising effort of your own.. It would be time better spent

I have put my hands very deeply into my own pockets for SSF. I will also be donating a lot of my own time to a different charity over christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Galvasean wrote: »

He's not making friends, he's making money. If he was all nicey then it wouldnt be worth paying to see him mod tLL.

Onkle wrote: »
    I have put my hands very deeply into my own pockets for SSF. I will also be donating a lot of my own time to a different charity over christmas

good for you.

im pretty confident the target wont be acheived but i do know that there has being a fair few quid donated to this already.

there is and has never been pressure on any staff member of boards to agree to this, the comment you refer to was made purely to try and raise interest.

ive given my donation, as i know others have. Im happy with that alone.

ive no interest in the slightest of being a mod of the ll and or any other forum on boards, the 'modship' in my eyes on this was simply a change of fonts on my username for a week.

sorry for being snappy in my previous post. Ive a splitting migrane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

good for you.

im pretty confident the target wont be acheived but i do know that there has being a fair few quid donated to this already.

there is and has never been pressure on any staff member of boards to agree to this, the comment you refer to was made purely to try and raise interest.

ive given my donation, as i know others have. Im happy with that alone.

ive no interest in the slightest of being a mod of the ll and or any other forum on boards, the 'modship' in my eyes on this was simply a change of fonts on my username for a week.

sorry for being snappy in my previous post. Ive a splitting migrane

No pressure ? really can't say I agree there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442050
    g'em wrote:
    ftr, I'm not, and I feel I'm being railroaded into this. snyper, you might be trying to raise support and live up to your 'public persona' but I would have thought it wise to be particularly attentive to those who you need support from most: the Mods. It would have been nice to have received even one PM from you to discuss this in more detail before you suggested it. There's four Mods on this forum, one of us need not necessarily speaking the mind of us all and to the best of my knowledge there's only one of us who you've been speaking to.

It was only two weeks ago that we have a very long and very detailed thread from some of the very prominent members of the forum complaining that there was too much sleazing going on and yet now we're being forced into this?

I'm all for SSF, I think it's an amazing cause, but holding us to ransom in the name of charidee is a bit low.

snyper, the ball's in your court. Prove me wrong.

Oh and one other thing: you aren't, never will be, and never could be, the overlord of any woman in here.

\sits back and waits for accusations of sense of humour failure.

\gets ready to remind accusers of where they are.

Seem you have only been talking with ONE of the mods there.
    Just becasue a person proposes a forum and is then made mod of that forum and is one of the longest serving mods there does not mean the 'own'
    the forum or can call the shots on the place.

Those of us that are mods are entrusted by the Admins to support the community of posters in the forum not ride roughshod over them or not consider asking them in the first place.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No pressure ? really can't say I agree there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442050

Seem you have only been talking with ONE of the mods there.
    Just becasue a person proposes a forum and is then made mod of that forum and is one of the longest serving mods there does not mean the 'own'
    the forum or can call the shots on the place.

Those of us that are mods are entrusted by the Admins to support the community of posters in the forum not ride roughshod over them or not consider asking them in the first place.

i was given the 'ok' by a mod before i started this second thread. I assumed it was discussed internally.

i proposed the idea, from where i stood it was up to the ll to decide to accept the idea or not. Not very complicated really.

next time, i wont bother my bollocks. Its clearly easier.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms. Sorry

I'd say next time do something where the priority is the charity not your ego or personal gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I really don't see the point in you getting snooty about this.

You proposed this idea in public and rallied support for it without first approaching the Mods of the forum or any of the Admins.

I initially gave it a tentative thumbs up (I felt I'd little choice tbh) but have since withdrawn my support largely due to how you've conducted yourself here.

You keep promising over and over that you will be a Mod only in name and not in actions. Frankly the actions you've displayed here are the absolute antithesis of what tLL stands for - it ceases being a joke when you cause more work for other people who have to clean up your mess.

Like I said in the thread that Thaed quoted from above, I left the ball in your court, I gave you the opportunity to PM me and you never did. Were you aware that we've had some huge issues with tLL readers and posters regarding sleaze levels in there? And can you see how your 'jokes', well-intended or otherwise could really cause us some major headaches?

I absolutely applaud and commend your intention to raise charity but this was a very poorly thought out and executed idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I couldn't put it better myself. Neither can I help feeling that some people are taking this too bloody seriously. It's a big wide world out there people, open the door and breathe deep.
    Sabotage wrote: »
    He's not making friends, he's making money. If he was all nicey then it wouldnt be worth paying to see him mod tLL.

Indeed. As well as the fact that an element of humour is at play, particularly in this festive season. If that's emotional blackmail I don't give a fig.
    Galvasean wrote: »

How about Master of the Sandy Vaginas?

The shit surrounding all this is making me wonder why he's bothering at all.

I couldn't put it better myself. Neither can I help feeling that some people are taking this too bloody seriously. It's a big wide world out there people, open the door and breathe deep.
    Tell that to the people who report misogynistic posts in tLL. Tell that to the people who wrote the charter of the forum. And I presume you're directing that at me, one of the people who has to deal with the quite real problems and upset that gets caused in this imaginary room in our imaginary world? Sorry Roundy, but tLL was created specifically as a forum for women to feel comfortable and safe on boards.ie and I can't in good conscience support anything that directly defies that.
    How about Master of the Sandy Vaginas?
    Charming. Come on Roundy, is that kind of crap really necessary?

• Advertisement

Gem, i dont post in ll so tarring me with blame for other comments there is unfair.

my 'conduct' largely depends on the forum i post in. Do a search of my 'conduct' in the renewable energy forum.

and for that prick to quote me for what i said in the private humour forum is taking me out of context.

im more annoyed that what i felt was a genuine effort to contribute to a good cause is being portrayed by some as a egocentric stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

g'em wrote: »
    Tell that to the people who report misogynistic posts in tLL. Tell that to the people who wrote the charter of the forum. And I presume you're directing that at me, one of the people who has to deal with the quite real problems and upset that gets caused in this imaginary room in our imaginary world? Sorry Roundy, but tLL was created specifically as a forum for women to feel comfortable and safe on boards.ie and I can't in good conscience support anything that directly defies that.

I wasn't directing it at you, well, directly. Our posts crossed within a minute or so.

Neither do I think anyone has any problem with the bolded (by me) part of your quote above, but I'm struggling to figure out here what Snyper has to do with any of this.

This is not 1974, I don't have a handlebar moustache and a propensity for spousal abuse, nor does my wife spend all day cowering in the kitchen, or rearing her kids with a quiet dignity while I prop up the bar.

I had hoped we (men and women) in this country had moved some way along the road toward distinguishing between some risqué jokes and actual lifestyle choice. I direct this to your users (as you represent them, both here and in terms of the forum) as much as to you and your fellow mods.

Or am I missing something that has not been explicitly mentioned here-that users of the forum have an issue with Snyper himself?

Or is this more about the fact that he may not have paid heed to the autonomy of the forum mods by asking the question here first?
    Charming. Come on Roundy, is that kind of crap really necessary?

It's an internet meme, and I wish it weren't. I'm saddened and frustrated in equal measure by this exchange.

.....that prick....

Nice. I did say I couldn't remember where I saw it. In fairness you pimped this in a few places so it was hard to keep track.

Gem, i dont post in ll so tarring me with blame for other comments there is unfair.
    Oh I'm not, I'm tarring you with your conduct right here in this thread:
    snyper wrote:
    the head vaginas in the ladies lounge
    i now have an erection.

You are putting yourself forward to Co-Mod tLL and yet you haven't once been in touch with me directly to allay my fears that you won't behave like this in the forum. You obviously know that this is how people will expect you to behave, as you're playing up to it with these comments.

My point, snyper, is that you're not giving me many reasons to think you *won't* act like that.

And if you do and even if you're only joking and you're just trying to create a laugh it'll make a joke of the forum that we've been working pretty hard to make a good place for girls on boards.ie to post on.

Roundy, not very long ago (2 weeks iirc) there was a very lengthy and very detailed thread started on tLL about how many users (men AND women) were upset at the amount of sleazing that was going on in the forum, particularly in reference to the Pictures Thread. As a result of this respective Boys/ Girls threads were closed, cleaned up and merged and we've had to introduce a new policy on what is and isn't accepted in the forum.

The point is, tLL is somewhere that it seems the risque jokes really don't go down to well - women (and some men) simply don't want to have to put up with them, and is it really unreasonable to ask that there's a forum where they aren't tolerated? The kinds of comments that snyper has been using thus far on this thread are exactly the kinds of things that shouldn't have to be tolerated on tLL. I haven't yet been given a good reason or been convinced that he won't do it in there as a Mod.

And ftr, I'm very much speaking my own mind here - each of the four Mods has their own opinion on this and I wouldn't dare speak for them. If this goes ahead then so be it, but I had to voice my opinion on it.
    It's an internet meme, and I wish it weren't. I'm saddened and frustrated in equal measure by this exchange.
    Fair enough, I'm not down with the internet lingo of the cool kids these days. I still don't like the phrase though :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

as far as I can make out, the issue really is that the ladies lounge mods, if asked in advance, wouldn't have felt it appropriate and wouldn't have agreed - and in fairness, I can understand why. Really synper, much as I like you, you've painted yourself into a bit of a corner with the rapey stuff tbh. The odd remark can be amusing, kind of, but you tend to shoe-horn it in at every oppurtunity. It's not a critisism - each to their own - but surely you can see how the type of people who would be involved in the moderation of a forum like the ladies lounge would see you - they see you as you've represented yourself on here, in fairness.

Now, again, in a "trading places" kind of way, I can see how it would be funny in theory, but I don't see how it's workable in practise, I asked about this before. Lets say you have full mod rights. The whole idea of you being the mod is comedic value, so it's only natural to assume that you would use the actual utilities to do something else "funny", while you were mod, right? I mean, even if you had no intention of doing that, you can surely see why someone would worry it would happen? I mean, you specifically wanted to be mod, it wasn't like you were offering to change your avatar or something. So you can see why they were worried.

All of that could have been avoided if you'd pm'd them in advance. I think I saw you were talking to one and she gave you a tentative ok, but in hindsight, maybe you should have included all the mods on the initial approach - it's not a hanging offense tho. But obviously there is some disagreements among the mods there about what's appropriate, and what the values are, but that's another issue.

It's just one of those things where there was a lack of communication, people got stuck into positions and now they feel they can't change those positions without losing face. You lose face if you don't become mod. the mods lose face if you do. Everyone knows that no-one really wants the situation. So why not just try to work on a compromise? Surely there's something else you can do?

The charity is the most important thing after all.

Oh I'm not, I'm tarring you with your conduct right here in this thread:

You are putting yourself forward to Co-Mod tLL and yet you have once been in touch with me directly to allay my fears that you won't behave like this in the forum. You obviously know that this is how people will expect you to behave, as you're playing up to it with these comments.

My point, snyper, is that you're not giving me many reasons to think you *won't* act like that.

And if you do and even if you're only joking and you're just trying to create a laugh it'll make a joke of the forum that we've been working pretty hard to make a good place for girls on boards.ie to post on.

again, as i previously said, i was talking to one of the ll mods and i think we made ourselves pretty clear as to the terms of the 'deal' were.
    Do you expect me to contact all of the mods separatley?!

the above quotes are all simply in jest. I was hopeing that was rather obvious

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

55t37bx0fsua04d2hkwx.jpg

if there was ever a better reason to post this pic.

55t37bx0fsua04d2hkwx.jpg

if there was ever a better reason to post this pic.

Oh, that pic has being asking me to post it all day.

im just glad someone else did

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, i've closed this because its not going to go anywhere good from here.

I'll close the Synper fund on Friday when I start to move money around to get it out of Paypal etc. When thats done I will review the situation and make a decision then.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement