Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel Sick

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

:(

Was sent a link to information yesterday on the dog and cat meat and fur trade in Korea and China.
    I will be haunted by the images I saw for a VERY long time. There was a video also but after throwing up having seen the pictures I decided not to watch it. I am absolutely sickened by how cruel and barbaric this is.

Is there anything being done about this or does it just go on on a daily basis? Is there any organisations in these countries trying to put an end to this? A lot of the dogs I saw to were husky/shepherd types and as I have a shep I was HORRIFIED, my own girl was nearly killed with cuddles when I got home to her yesterday.....I'm still so sickened by this and I'm just haunted by the pictures.

Never knew such barbarism existed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    :(

Was sent a link to information yesterday on the dog and cat meat and fur trade in Korea and China.
    I will be haunted by the images I saw for a VERY long time. There was a video also but after throwing up having seen the pictures I decided not to watch it. I am absolutely sickened by how cruel and barbaric this is.

Is there anything being done about this or does it just go on on a daily basis? Is there any organisations in these countries trying to put an end to this? A lot of the dogs I saw to were husky/shepherd types and as I have a shep I was HORRIFIED, my own girl was nearly killed with cuddles when I got home to her yesterday.....I'm still so sickened by this and I'm just haunted by the pictures.

Never knew such barbarism existed.
    okay the fur trade can be deemed as very unnecessary, but regards eating dogs and cats i dont know if there is a lot than can be done. remember that if the are used for human consumption its part of those counrties culture and playing devils advocate, are we any better as we farm beef, pork and chickens? In some countries that eat dog, the pig is sacred. they could think of us as barbarians for eating pig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

stevoman wrote: »
    okay the fur trade can be deemed as very unnecessary, but regards eating dogs and cats i dont know if there is a lot than can be done. remember that if the are used for human consumption its part of those counrties culture and playing devils advocate, are we any better as we farm beef, pork and chickens? In some countries that eat dog, the pig is sacred. they could think of us as barbarians for eating pig?

Hi Stevoman, Yeah I totally understand the cultural difference and I suppose if it's their culture to consume animals we think of as pets well I don't like it very much but I do understand it. What was really horrifying was the manner in which the animals were treated. The word 'humane' just seemed to be lost on these people. There is a right way and a wrong way to slaughter an animal (any animal) and this was just WRONG.

Not having a go at the culture per say even though I don't really understand it. Just apalled at the methods used and the apparent TOTAL lack of empathy or concern for humane treatment of animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

stevoman wrote: »

The OP is not taking about eating Cats/Dogs but the manner is which they are killed which is horrific. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Its not always quick and painless in slaughter houses here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I saw a video of a fur farm in China where they got a dog, tied it upside down and pulled it's fur off over it's head like taking off a jumper, then threw the dog on a pile, it was like a moving skeleton, it lifted up it's head and looked around and then died. It was disgusting and sick. Some people are just sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I find its best not to think about it. :(

Its being happening for many many years and it will continue that way because it's a part of their culture.

I was watching Gordon Ramsay's cook along last night where he tried his hand at plucking turkeys. Basically the turkey was hung up side down by its legs, shocked in the head, and then plucked. Its body and wings were still twitching though so I don't know how dead it was.

And the end of the day they are all animals. Its just that we interpret one as being friend and the other food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I have seen those videos too, they are horrific.
    Apparently fawn-coloured dogs especially are used in the food trade. As far as I know, in some Asian countries, only mongrels are used, as they are seen as less valuable and not pure.
    That is a good point about pigs being sacred in other countries. Cows are too.

PETA are doing huge work on this, they have websites full of it. Yes I know they are extremists but their heart is in the right place for matters like this and videos are the strongest way to get across to people how barbaric some trades are.
    Once I saw their video of KFC factories, I never ate KFC again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I saw a video of a fur farm in China where they got a dog, tied it upside down and pulled it's fur off over it's head like taking off a jumper, then threw the dog on a pile, it was like a moving skeleton, it lifted up it's head and looked around and then died. It was disgusting and sick. Some people are just sick.

I once saw a programme about that, I can't link this to a source but apparently they believe that the meat tastes better if the animal suffers, and that it is easier to skin the dog alive. It's outrageous.

Edit: By 'they' I mean only those specifically involved in or endorsing these acts, I'm not referring to an entire culture. I don't deny that similar things happen within other cultures. By 'outrageous' I mean allowing beliefs regarding taste or practicality, which are not sacred beliefs, to override concerns regarding animal suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There are extremes of cruelty in all societies. We shouldn’t try to transfer our western ideals onto other cultures.. Having been in battery chicken & egg production facilities here they are no better, I’ve worked on Irish farms where the level of cruelty was unbelievable. Stories of animals in Irish slaughter houses being alive when processed are abundant..

It just seems easier for some people to give out about what goes on in other cultures.

bbam wrote: »
    Having been in battery chicken & egg production facilities here they are no better, I’ve worked on Irish farms where the level of cruelty was unbelievable. Stories of animals in Irish slaughter houses being alive when processed are abundant..

It just seems easier for some people to give out about what goes on in other cultures.

Did you report anything? Or did you just turned a blind eye.

• Advertisement

There are extremes of cruelty in all societies. We shouldn’t try to transfer our western ideals onto other cultures.. Having been in battery chicken & egg production facilities here they are no better, I’ve worked on Irish farms where the level of cruelty was unbelievable. Stories of animals in Irish slaughter houses being alive when processed are abundant..

You should have reported it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKNrLUxG2U

Here's a video that an undercover PETA investigtor took of cruelty to pigs in Iowa, USA, watch if you have a strong stomach

You should have reported it.
    To whom??
    To people who already well know that it goes on...

People make a choice to either support or not each time they shop..
    If people shose Free Range producds from known sources the battery production would cease. However 10c less on a half dozen eggs is much more popular..
    These methods of production are only there because there is a demand..

This wasn't my intended point... I was meerly pointing out that we should look closer to home before holding the higher moral ground on other cultures..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

To whom??
    To people who already well know that it goes on...

People make a choice to either support or not each time they shop..
    If people shose Free Range producds from known sources the battery production would cease. However 10c less on a half dozen eggs is much more popular..
    These methods of production are only there because there is a demand..

This wasn't my intended point... I was meerly pointing out that we should look closer to home before holding the higher moral ground on other cultures..

Maybe if more people like you reported more things like this and made people aware that this type of thing goes on then maybe just MAYBE something would have to be done about it. If enough people witness such wanton acts of cruelty to ANY animal be it farm animals or pets or whatever and still stand idly by then we don't really have much hope do we?

I'm not taking any moral high ground so you can take that accusation off the table. I've already said I wasn't having a pop at the cultural difference. I was simply APALLED and sickend by what I saw and having worked for nearly 2 years in animal welfare I'm perfectly aware that as Irish people we are perfectly capable of astonishing cruelty ourselves. Just because that is the case should it mean we should shut our mouths on anything that happens outside of here for fear of offending? NO.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    I'm perfectly aware that as Irish people we are perfectly capable of astonishing cruelty ourselves. Just because that is the case should it mean we should shut our mouths on anything that happens outside of here for fear of offending? NO.

It's my opinion that we should..

It seems in the west we enjoy holding court over the actions in other countries while god knows what goes on here..

To answer a question I didn't report anything I saw... I removed myself and where possible refused to do business there again..

How our people supposed to know if people like yourself turn a blind eye and then come onto and internet form saying "I've seen worse happen here"

Grow a pair of balls instead of sticking your head in the sand! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I think that in the context of the Animal and Pet Issues forum, where examples of animal cruelty in Ireland are so often brought to attention, it is unfair that mention of an example of animal cruelty in Eastern culture should be automatically construed as an example of Western arrogance.

GigaByte wrote: »
    Grow a pair of balls instead of sticking your head in the sand! :mad:

Excuse me...
    I'm not sticking my head in the sand..
    We all do what we think most appropriate.. Personally I feel that by opting for free range from reputable sources has more long lasting results as the need for poor farming/food production methods will be reduced...
    I feel financial pressue is much more effective against these people than the danger of being reported...

Advertisement