Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 for air/water!

Options
  • 12-12-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Pulled into a petrol station to get some water for the windscreen wiper washer.
    Pull the bonnet,and reach for the hose.
    What's that red collar on the nozzle I remember thinking,low and behold it's a lock with a slot for a €2 piece:eek:
    Holy s*** I'm not paying that!
    Back to the van,empty bottle of 7-up, and filled up from the nozzle.(The coin lock didn't interfere with the water flow).
    Then a shop attendant comes out and says "you've to pay for the water",I just looked at her,sat in and drove off.
    This is taking the piss completely!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It’s not a rip-off at all.

I used to work in a petrol station. Any every second fecker used to use our air hose and then throw it on the ground. Too much trouble to hang it on the wall?, hey we even put up hooks for this.
    Probably the same people in apartment blocks who throw rubbish beside and around the wheely-bin but never in it!

But still people threw it on the ground and then somebody drives over it and it gets damaged so it has to be replaced.
    It’s a fact that you give something for free, it doesn’t get respected and often gets abused. Make them pay and they will respect it……..hopefully

The new system we brought it, we didn't charge but you had to come into the store and ask us to turn it on. And we'd watch them like hawks and never a problem again :)

You're posting about water OP but dispensing air is much the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I thing I see lately, especially in Topaz is that you put a €2 coin into a slot to release the hose for air or water from the main water/air unit... When you are done and put it back you get your €2 coin back.. bit like shopping trolleys.

I suppose it is to stop people throwing it on the ground when they are done, just as the last poster mentioned he saw quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Yeah fair enough micmclo, I can understand the high replacement costs involved due to others' laziness/sloppiness.
    I'm not one of those but that's irrelevant.
    It's a service station not a piggy bank. Air and water should be free.
    I'll not pull into that station again ever,and on point of principle,none of that petrol station chain again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, a compressor runs to create the compressed air for your tyres, using electricity which is not free.
    and Water, well its metered in most places now,and if not it will be soon.

I do think tho that if you make a purchase on fuel/shop purchase, the use of the airline/water hose should be complimentary. But only if you make a purchase. Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

When you are done and put it back you get your €2 coin back.. bit like shopping trolleys.

HAHAHAHA now I feel like a tool!!:o:o
    It's a good idea but they should probably flag that fact somewhere too maybe

• Advertisement
Advertisement