Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread of the day problem

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is the current thread of the day. I think it needs to be reviewed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weird.

I had assumed that the "Thread of the day" was picked based on the number of thanks that the OP received. Clearly I was wrong.

However, I would now like to suggest that this be the case, rather than some random thread.

You should also include the logic so that $thread_of_day_op_id != $post_of_day_postid

Get to it Cult. *clap* *clap*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The post of the day appears to be based on thanks, but I seem to remember CuLT saying before that the thread of the day was just random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Perhaps closed threads should be excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hagar wrote: »
    This thread is the current thread of the day. I think it needs to be reviewed.

how'd i miss that classic moral dilema.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Could the Thread of the Day not be based on the number of views and/or posts on that particular day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

any update on this?
    is there a way to view the historical thread of the day as i would be interested to see how many were locked/deleted.

todays one is another gem -
    is it racist to question the blacks income?

i dont know if im just remembering it wrong but the majority of TOTD seem to be ridiculous, ive even seen a few spam threads.

if it doesnt work should it be disabled?
    if it does work can it be made to point a the most popular / thanked / viewed thread started in the last 24 hours?
    if it doesnt work and isnt going to be disabled, perhaps it should be renamed "random thread" and changed every 30 minutes or so?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The eh... current thread of the day poses rather a similar problem, in terms of taste, as the original feller what were deleted did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The eh... current thread of the day poses rather a similar problem, in terms of taste, as the original feller what were deleted did.
    Indeed. I could have been more caustic at the end when closing the thread but that would just have been showboating.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK TOTD is random.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK TOTD is random.
    calling it thread of the day is a bit of a misnomer then really.
    i would wonder if an african, wandering onto boards for the first time, decided to click on our "thread of the day" and saw todays example, would they be overly impressed?

i know if i was in a foreign land and went to the most popular social networking site and saw something called "topic of the day" that happened to be "is it racist to question the paddy's income?" i wouldnt feel to welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

i know, but its hardly thread of the day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

subway wrote: »
    calling it thread of the day is a bit of a misnomer then really.
    i would wonder if an african, wandering onto boards for the first time, decided to click on our "thread of the day" and saw todays example, would they be overly impressed?

i know if i was in a foreign land and went to the most popular social networking site and saw something called "topic of the day" that happened to be "is it racist to question the paddy's income?" i wouldnt feel to welcome

Hopefully they would look at more than just the post of the day. Or perhaps read it and see that it was locked and the reaction to the OP was very negative. They might also guess that the Thread of the Day is picked randomly as similar "_____ of the day" things often are on websites. Maybe they would read a few more threads and see that that thread is not representative of the site in general.

If they didn't do at least one of those things and instead jumped to the conclusion that we are a xenophobic or racist bunch here, then they probably weren't going to contribute much to the site anyway.

Ideally the thread of the day would be less offensive but any automated system based on views/thanks/posts etc. would be just as likely (if not more likely) to select a potentially offensive thread as the current random system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK TOTD is random.

And with 39k worth of posts there horse,that's good enough for the Flutt.

Fcuker is random... oooooooficial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah it's random, the CuLTmeister said he had a funky new way of generating it on the to do list though, he would't divulge how far up it was, maybe he's waiting for the new boy to be employed so he can delegate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

fantastic PotD :D

ill stop giving feedback on this site, i'm not exactly looking for an explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

have the system pick its candidate for TOTD and have an admin approve it before its made TOTD, no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Overheal wrote: »
    have the system pick its candidate for TOTD and have an admin approve it before its made TOTD, no?

Simple if only there was an admin available every morning to validate it :p

Easier to just remove the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Excluding certain words would be a nightmare really and unworkable. Having the most viewed thread or something similar would be good though. CuLT did say something about it before but even at that there's still no guarantee a potentially offensive thread won't be the most viewed.

Advertisement