Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and Steam

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

I recently dumped my previous provider and went with UPC. Everything is fine with one exception.

Steam games [TF2] have gone to pot. While the game is possible I've noticed a lot of things happening
    * Slowdowns [although apparent ping and fps are good]
    * It is now taking anywhere from 1 second to 60 seconds from when I try to change a class to when the class actually changes. It appears that the change class command is being delayed getting to the server. This is so frustrating as if the class doesn't change after 10 seconds, I head out into battle. 45 seconds later, bang. The change class kicks in, leaving me respawning for 20 seconds because I "died" outside the base.
    * When I join a server, I will register as being on a team but won't respawn for up to 60 seconds [almost like I'm in a semi spectator/team player state]
    * In game voice is terrible [only transmitting my voice, receiving other ppls voice is fine]
    * Voice in TeamSpeak is perfect.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with UPC th throttling trotteling P2P but I can't see how this would effect Steam unless UPC are doing bad things to indiscriminate ports.

Not looking to bad mouth the company at all. It was my decision to go back to them.

What I'm, looking for is... Is there any utility out there that will allow me to scan specific [Steam] ports and measure latency on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's almost certainly an issue either with your pc, or with the server. I've had no issues with tf2 on upc, and it's highly unlikely verging on impossible that any sort of traffic management would affect your game in such a way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I would have thought the same other than the fact that my internet provider is the only thing that changed in a long time. I happens on different servers.

However, I'm going to fully format and re-install my puter over Christmas. Don't want to rule anything out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have not played TF2 in the while, but I have been playing L4D and thats working fine for me on the 20 Mb UPC package.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

I have not played TF2 in the while, but I have been playing L4D and thats working fine for me on the 20 Mb UPC package.

Same for me, TF2 is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Not a major issue but sometimes when I select a server to connect to in CS:S (or any steam game for that matter) it does take ages to actually connect, timing out for about 20secs before eventually establishing a connection.

It's a weird issue to say the least but it is a UPC issue (I've tried the same computer on different net connections, bypassed the router, manually forwarded all the steam ports etc.).

I have absolutely no idea why it happens. Once in game it runs like a dream though, low packet loss and low pings all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Simi wrote: »
    Not a major issue but sometimes when I select a server to connect to in CS:S (or any steam game for that matter) it does take ages to actually connect, timing out for about 20secs before eventually establishing a connection.

It's a weird issue to say the least but it is a UPC issue (I've tried the same computer on different net connections, bypassed the router, manually forwarded all the steam ports etc.).

I have absolutely no idea why it happens. Once in game it runs like a dream though, low packet loss and low pings all the way.

I get that on Digiweb. Its not UPC specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

OK, so I baught TF2 Yesturday ( only a tenner, thats a good deal if there ever was one, fair play to Valve ) .

I am having an issue with the server browser not being populated. Its wierd cause CSS and L4D will populate but TF2 will not. My game is up to date, as I am able to join servers through friends. Maybe UPC is just not very game friendly, I had major problems with CoD WW as well.

Advertisement