Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens cupcakes

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had to laugh at this. Was in there getting a sandwich at the weekend. They had cupcakes for 2.75. That's a regular cupcake (a bun to you and me) with pink icing for nearly 3 euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Starbucks 'luxury' mince pie for 2.95 aswell.....is there gold inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I was in a new franchsied cafe the other weekend called "The Street", and i had a cup of coffee and a Sandwich - €10.60 - buts its ok, they put natcho's on the side!

I was in a new franchsied cafe the other weekend called "The Street", and i had a cup of coffee and a Sandwich - €10.60 - buts its ok, they put natcho's on the side!

Wanna have been a friggin nice coffee for that money.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Wanna have been a friggin nice coffee for that money.

Nope, it was half cold. I had to ask for a new hot one.
    Like FFS, how hard is it to serve up a HOT cuppa?

Nope, it was half cold. I had to ask for a new hot one.
    Like FFS, how hard is it to serve up a HOT cuppa?

I love the look on the faces of the servers when the half assed attempt at coffee etc is given back to them, its as if you just put a puppy on the counter then punched it in the face sometimes.....Its not our fault that they cant be arsed to even make coffee well.

Talking about giving stuff back, i was handed a stale muffin in starbucks the other day, when i gave it back i asked the girl "did you honestly expect me to eat a stale muffin" she replied she didnt know it was stale etc to which i had to tell her that "i wasnt a moron so dont insult my intelligence" was a bit hard on her but then im sick of putting up with substandard service because they have been getting away with it for donkeys its become the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The costs charged in coffee shops etc are high because they are usually located in expensive areas and the amounts charged must contribute towards paying the overheads (rent, staff, electricity, rates, set-up costs, insurance, service charges, water etc)

Jaysoose, there was no need to be so rude to the server, it's unlikely that she knowingly served you a stale muffin

So charging 2.95 for a mince pie is acceptable? or is is charging €4 plus for a cappucino when the coffee and milk used costs around 30cents is acceptable? im well aware of the costs businesses have to cover and sympathise completely when the goverment increases business rates to pay for the french monstrocity on oconnell street. But i have to draw the line at paying just shy of €3 euro for a mince pie that mr kipling most likely made.

As for the being rude to the girl comments as we all know the rigorous checks etc that occur when people are serving food and they would have been well aware of how long the goods are sitting out, so i feel she was being rude to me by chancing her arm trying to get rid of the older muffin on me in the hope that i would say nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As for the being rude to the girl comments as we all know the rigorous checks etc that occur when people are serving food and they would have been well aware of how long the goods are sitting out, so i feel she was being rude to me by chancing her arm trying to get rid of the older muffin on me in the hope that i would say nothing.
    If you want civillity, really you need to give it too. Ive stood on the working side of a shop counter all my working life, it pays my wages, its not a vocation. As Im sure is the case for that girl.

I doubt the girl deliberately tried to pawn you off with a stale muffin so she could pocket the money herself. Thats plain daft. She is a wage slave, same as all of us. She neither sets prices or, Im sure, has authority to throw out food. The time its left on shelves would be a managerial thing. Being rude to her or any shop staff is completely pointless, when you can make your point without rudeness. Your comment is just you releasing your own ire to make you feel self righteous.

And as always, the customer will pay what they feel is fair. Until we all stop being fools and paying it, those are the prices that will be charged.

Oryx wrote: »
    If you want civillity, really you need to give it too. Ive stood on the working side of a shop counter all my working life, it pays my wages, its not a vocation. As Im sure is the case for that girl.

I doubt the girl deliberately tried to pawn you off with a stale muffin so she could pocket the money herself. Thats plain daft. She is a wage slave, same as all of us. She neither sets prices or, Im sure, has authority to throw out food. The time its left on shelves would be a managerial thing. Being rude to her or any shop staff is completely pointless, when you can make your point without rudeness. Your comment is just you releasing your own ire to make you feel self righteous.

And as always, the customer will pay what they feel is fair. Until we all stop being fools and paying it, those are the prices that will be charged.

I never once said or indicated she was doing it for monetary gain so i dont see where your getting this. Its always somebody elses fault and if i was rude (i never once raised my voice or used an agressive tone) by asking not to be lied to as if i was stupid then so be it and if it is self righteous to complain about crappy service then i can deal with my self righteousness.

I appreciate the girl was only doing her job but at the end of the day all i went in for was a coffee and snack not to be handed the week old muffin and then be looked at as if i was mad for giving it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

'giving it back' has never been part of Irish culture, really. Frankly, J, I think you just made life easier for future customers.

• Advertisement

Whilst I hate being charged through the nose for food/stuff/services , I never give the servant/worker/wage slave as referred to here, a hard time. I do and would however give managment a hard time if needs be.
    I do state verbally that it's not personal in my approach, but i do set out my complaints clearly to those in charge. More of us need to do that, without of course, being abbrasive or rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

my 2cents

If you are willing to pay 3.90 ish or whatever for a coffee its your own look out.
    bottom line if you dont want to pay €3 for a 'bun' dont!

walk out of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So charging 2.95 for a mince pie is acceptable? or is is charging €4 plus for a cappucino when the coffee and milk used costs around 30cents is acceptable?
    Perfectly acceptable, unless they told you it was €1 and then tried charging €4 when you go to pay for it.
    Whilst I hate being charged through the nose for food/stuff/services.
    I would hate it, so I ask in advance what it will cost, then I weigh up my options whether to buy or not and so never get upset over it. If I pay more than I think something was worth then it was all my own doing, I had a free choice to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

people are crazy to pay these prices in the first place for coffee and a bun.

mental

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kalona

On the topic of OBriens, I was in there last week getting a sandwich and noticed they still has sausages, bacon etc...found this a bit odd untill i read the sign..all pig products are not of Irish origins......erm....isnt OBriens an Irish sandwich bar??? Its not exactly a big deal to me where it comes from but if your going to have an Irish sandwich bar surely the products should be Irish! What ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone willing going into O'Briens deserves to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Anyone willing going into O'Briens deserves to be ripped off.

This ripping off at O'Briens has being going on for years. Remember the poster who paid €7.00 for a latte and roll in 2004.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148777&highlight=deserves+to+be+ripped+off

Advertisement