Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Park on Grand Parade

Options
  • 12-12-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I expect this has a proper name but I don't know it. I had a look yesterday but I was disappointed. The guy from Weddings by Franc is organizing it so I was expecting something spectacular but it's not. The music is nice, the snow machine is ok but it's still lacking in something. The whole park isn't even decorated which is really strange. It looks like a job half done.The papers said there would be a carousel but there isn't. Anyone else like it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Couple of people working with me liked it.................at least its an improvement to the goths and wineos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Couple of people working with me liked it.................at least its an improvement to the goths and wineos!

Eh i went in there and there were wineos dancing about to the disney music! Nuf said

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I went in there, I thought it was amazing!
    A load of the park was done up really well imo.
    When i walk through there was security guards posted on the entrance and a giant elf. It was a darn sigh better then nothing and from what I could tell the little ones looked pretty happy. It's such nice part of town that is ruined by wasters. In the summer i eat my lunch in there. The bums and goths keep to themselves mostly but I still think they should be removed. Maybe have a limit of the time people can spend in there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

A friend of mine tried to get a picture taken with the elf fella, and apparently he was a right prick! Sarcastic and just a right tospot. Stuck his middle finger up to the camera and all! Apart from that I thought it was pretty good. I love the food stands. man of Aran Fudge and the Gourmet Sausage place are so so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bill-e wrote: »
    I went in there, I thought it was amazing!
    A load of the park was done up really well imo.
    When i walk through there was security guards posted on the entrance and a giant elf. It was a darn sigh better then nothing and from what I could tell the little ones looked pretty happy. It's such nice part of town that is ruined by wasters. In the summer i eat my lunch in there. The bums and goths keep to themselves mostly but I still think they should be removed. Maybe have a limit of the time people can spend in there or something.

:eek:

Free world, BTW, they are not Goth's they are Scene, or Skaters.

Do you really just want to move them on because they are unsightly???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Do you really just want to move them on because they are unsightly???

yes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

My son loved it. I thought it was pretty cool myself. I didn't see any snow machine, though... :confused:

Their probably saving a few bob to pay for the new wage of the mayor. It was total crap, peter pan looked like a leaf and where was the talking swan and gate?! It was the all or nothing rule here and they obviously didn't go by it. It doesn't suprise me though.really doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

It was total crap, peter pan looked like a leaf and where was the talking swan and gate?!

It's not that bad, children would like it, I think it's because Franc is is charge of it we had very high expectations. What's there is nice but it needs more. Probably wasn't given the money to do everything he wanted.

The food stalls are lovely but very expensive, probably because they have to pay massive rent to the Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

sunnyside wrote: »
    It's not that bad, children would like it

Yes, I dropped in with the kids yesterday evening, and they loved it. And I got the feeling all the other kids loved it as well.

I also found that Peter pan and the Elf were friendly towards the children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

I thought it was a good effort , and My kids enjoyed it .

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I walked past at about 17.00, I didn't go into the Park as meeting friends at Soho but I thought the Park looked magical - and when I walked past it again at about 23.00, nobody around but it still looked lovely, as did the big lit tree behind TK Max.

There are lots of lit trees around the city, the Quays, end of the Mall, etc. it just adds to the spirit of Christmas. Children loved it and as an adult it made me smile. Isn't that what Christmas is about. This kind of negativity would make organisers think why bother - sometimes things start small and over the years are improved on -remind me, what was there this time last year??? I don't remember anything!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

As a foreigner that just moved ti Cork...I found it lovely, it was unexpected to me, so maybe that's part of the magic...but anyway, I liked it! The snow, the colors, the lights...and the food at the stands...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I think it's a fantastic Christmas endeavour - a great atmosphere has been created, something magical and all the kids seemed enthralled, not to mention the adults :) Well done and thank you for making the city centre such a nice place to be - I think that Cork has kept that lovely Christmassy feeling which is lacking somewhat in Dublin this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

i was here visiting my sister who still lives in cork(i live in dub land now) and it was very good I felt..i realy like it.

dublin has no xmas cheer.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

Judes wrote: »
    I walked past at about 17.00, I didn't go into the Park as meeting friends at Soho but I thought the Park looked magical - and when I walked past it again at about 23.00, nobody around but it still looked lovely, as did the big lit tree behind TK Max.

Would agree the tree outside TK Max looks really good at night! A few pics of the Park from this evening for anyone outside of Cork reading this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Besides one of the elves who got very cranky with me when me and my friend asked for a photo, I quite liked it. Brightens up the place at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Who's footing the bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Bill-e wrote: »
    Who's footing the bill?

http://www.cometocork.ie/christmas/campaign_supporters

These guys? And probably the taxpayer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think it is a good initiative. It probably could do with something more but that gives them something to aim for next year, maybe they'll add to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I wish they just had more than two songs. I've had "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." stuck in my head for days.

You'd think it were 1965! Its 2008 people...

Advertisement