Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness bread, need help!

• 12-12-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

today will be my 5th attempt at making guinness bread from this recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/Guinness-Bread-27527
    It always turns out too soggy and stougy when i make it, obviously im getting the measurements wrong. can anyone give my a proper conversion because the cups is confusing me seeing as they are different over hear and i think there is a difference in liquid cups and solid cups. ive changed it to metric and still have problems.
    I have a measuring jug that has fl ozs, ml, cups and pint for liquid and GR(dont know what that is), ozs for flour and also GR,ozs for sugar!
    Im baking it at 170C in a fan assisted oven and im also using guinness draught rather than guinness extra stout (would this make a difference?) cause they dont say which one!!!!
    help would be much appreciated as i havet to get it done for this afternoon for a party!!!!!
    also i dont put in the cinnamon, because i hate it:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It says 12oz can, so that is the smaller 330ml can or bottle. In most recipes they mean guinness extra stout, christmas pudding guinness! Don't think it would matter too much though.

I hate recipes using volumes instead of weights.
    Check definitions here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A cup is a cup is a cup, regardless of whether it's for liquid or solids. it's a measurement of volume, not weight. You can't specify a simple conversion between volume and weight as every ingredient will have a different specific density.

A US cup is 237ml. rounded up to 240ml, mostly.

By the way, it's not just the US that does this. In Scandinavian countries, it's usual to find recipes using decilitres (dl, or 100ml) as a basic volume measurement (a sort of metric 'cup' if you like) for both solid and liquid measures, especially in baking recipes, where it's the ratio of volumes that seems to really count.

So in short, stick with the volume measurements, don't try and convert them to oz. or grams and you should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

On RecipeZaar, where it says "Serves 8", you can click on "change servings and units" to switch to metric. Here's another recipe:

Guinness Bread

1kg wholemeal flour
    250g plain flour
    2 tsp bread soda
    2 tsp salt
    250ml Guinness
    1 tin (454g) Lyle's Black Treacle
    100ml sunflower oil
    1 ltr approx. buttermilk

Method:

1. Mix dry ingredients
    2. Add - Guinness, treacle, oil, and butter milk (just enough buttermilk for it to come together)
    3. Bake in a pre-heated oven on the lowest shelf, at 180°c for 10mins, then lower to 160°c for 35mins. Make 2 x 2lb loaves (iirc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i got it to work pretty much, cheers

Advertisement