Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress 2.7 is out - check out the video

Options
  • 12-12-2008 12:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New Wordpress Release

Anyone here use wordpress? Have you upgraded yet? Looks like it will be brilliant, i can't wait to start using it.

I'm having big problems getting it installed, I have the automatic upgrade thing but its giving me errors not sure why (if anyone wants to help me out please pm me!)

I wish they would expand wordpress to be a fully proper cms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

fully proper ? how so whats it missing ?

Upgrade went smoothly ... only thing that broke was the twitter plugin (though that could be due to upgrade of twitter)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wordpress is a blogging playform. You can make a few modifications to use it as a basic cms, but really it does not measure up to joomla as a full cms etc.

However joomla is not nearly as user friendly as wordpress though.

don't really need to make mods to use it as a cms :D just apply the right template and away you go.

(don't get me started on joomla) :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can you point me in the direction of good templates for using wordpress as a proper website not blog based?

Any thoughts on 2.7?

Zascar wrote: »
    Can you point me in the direction of good templates for using wordpress as a proper website not blog based?

Any thoughts on 2.7?

Forbairt Media :D
    (but seriously I design my own for the most part to fit the need)
    Any thoughts on 2.7?

Quite liked the previous layout ... possibly a bit more than the current one ...

Not really noticing that much .. I do like the full screen width edit mode though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Any thoughts on 2.7?

I think what he might be getting at is using individual page templates, as opposed to themes, which is what you might be talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Any thoughts on 2.7?

Just remove commenting, create a static homepage and have latest news or whatever on the homepage.

Redflymarketing.com is a complete Wordpress powered CMS + Blog using a single WP installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Id write my own, generally. Once you set up pages you can customize it so that all that appears is the overall layout + the page content, none of the other stuff cms's generally add in like commenting and all that. And because you can set the pages as children of other pages it allows a tiny bit easier organization.

Forgive my if Im naive, but I installed Joomla the other day to see what its like, and it really seems like an uphill battle to get anything the way you want. Wordpress is easier in that respect.

I started using joomla about 2 years ago, I had not used wordpress much at that time.

I used joomla for this site which it works very well for, but I rarely update it any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

whats it like on security ?

edit: and the templates actually ?

• Advertisement

Joomla has best template seclection going. Security - no idea but I'm sure its pretty good

samhail wrote: »
    whats it like on security ?

Given its probably the most used CMS / blog platform I'd guess pretty damn good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

forbairt wrote: »
    Quite liked the previous layout ... possibly a bit more than the current one ...
    +1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Does anyone know any decent resources for using WordPress more as a small-scale CMS rather than for blogging?

I'm currently developing a site and I've been looking at using CMSMadeSimple but I wouldn't mind taking a look at what WordPress can do.

Most books/sites I've come across so far focus on the blogging aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

i just installed CMSMadeSimple for a site i am making and i am finding it really good.

The admin area is very straightforward and there seems to be loads of extras you can add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

grahamor wrote: »
    i just installed CMSMadeSimple for a site i am making and i am finding it really good.

The admin area is very straightforward and there seems to be loads of extras you can add on.
    I think Joomla is good for a beginner or an advanced user

Advertisement