Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned AN-8 in Russia

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

From EnglishRussia.com, a crash landed AN-8 found in a forest near St. Petersburg, almost complete :

http://englishrussia.com/?p=2115

Interesting reading to kill 5 mins anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I doubt it crach landed, looks like it was parked in there, i mean its still sitting nicely on its gears. And its facing towards the clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Its also just off what looks like a carpark. But ot is pretty exciting falling over a presumably crashed plane on google earth..maybe theres a reward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

look at the directions of the engines.

Its parked there ready for a rapid response take off by the looks of it.

Cold war era.

sweden (could either be finland, not bothered to google) also currently employ this tactic of leaving planes scattered around the country side in unobtrusive places ready for deployment.

my guess is the antonov was a cold war equivilant and as such never saw a need to become airborn after a particular point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

bah ha ah aha...

after looking at google maps and finding its location, wont you all join me in a larf. He was vary careful what he showed on maps anyway.

BS.jpg

this one however, I stumbled across at work one day. looks more interesting imo

maybe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

bah ha ah aha...

after looking at google maps and finding its location, wont you all join me in a larf. He was vary careful what he showed on maps anyway.

BS.jpg

Thats bloody hilarious!!! well done on finding it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

look at the directions of the engines.

Its parked there ready for a rapid response take off by the looks of it.

Cold war era.

sweden (could either be finland, not bothered to google) also currently employ this tactic of leaving planes scattered around the country side in unobtrusive places ready for deployment.

my guess is the antonov was a cold war equivilant and as such never saw a need to become airborn after a particular point

I agree,unless it dropped from the sky and didnt damage the trees at its rear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If that plane was discovered in Ireland there would be nothing left of it, IE all the gauges and instruments would have been long been stripped out of it, it would be covered in grafitti and of course every window would be smashed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

If that plane was discovered in Ireland there would be nothing left of it, IE all the gauges and instruments would have been long been stripped out of it, it would be covered in grafitti and of course every window would be smashed. :mad:

Graffiti implies its artistic. it would more likely be:

"Anto wuz her 05" scrawled on the fuselage.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Yep, I'd have the cockpit stripped out and in my living room connected to my flight sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Looks like their is a few bits missing in the pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Looks like their is a few bits missing in the pics.
    Probably taken for spares. :)

Advertisement