Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle shooting by Doyle Brunson?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Saw this hand on TV the other night and tyhought it was rather strange that no big deal was made about Doyle's actions. He raises on button to 2400 daniel negranu calls on sb and bb folds.doyle who has bout 6k behind says im all in whatever comes up and pushes all his chips in before any flop and before negranu acts.N obody says anything, and play comntinues.. Is this not angleshooting at it's worst?? Thoughts!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

no, seen this lots of times

how can it possibly be an angleshoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

huh?? Don't see how it's an angleshoot unless he somehow doesn't put his chips in the middle after he sees the flop???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

Ste05 wrote: »
    huh?? Don't see how it's an angleshoot unless he somehow doesn't put his chips in the middle after he sees the flop???
    if the bets not binding because its not his turn to act

of course it's binding :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

sounds pretty binding to me, but I'm no rules guru

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

of course it's binding :rolleyes:
    bout a month or so ago was playing in the riverside and one of the regs maurice did this on another reg stephen murphy, the dealer raybo said the bet wasnt binding because it was out of turn but maurice loses his action on this street. was big hulaballoo because maurice admitted it was an angeshoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mits2006

was he wearing his lucky coalmans hat

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think it was an angleshoot of sorts as it was out of turn tbh. I also think it is definitely binding, so the dealer example from above was a wrong decision imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

Rockfish wrote: »
    Saw this hand on TV the other night and tyhought it was rather strange that no big deal was made about Doyle's actions. He raises on button to 2400 daniel negranu calls on sb and bb folds.doyle who has bout 6k behind says im all in whatever comes up and pushes all his chips in before any flop and before negranu acts.N obody says anything, and play comntinues.. Is this not angleshooting at it's worst?? Thoughts!!

I dont think its really angleshooting when it gives the other player (sb in this case) an advantage in the hand

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    I dont think its really angleshooting when it gives the other player (sb in this case) an advantage in the hand

No way it gives the sb an advantage in this situation imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

definitely against the rules imo

If it was just a friendly game for the cameras, then it's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Ok if it's cash.

If a tourney you could receive a warning.

Not angleshooting.

Icarus152 wrote: »
    Ok if it's cash.

If a tourney you could receive a warning.

Not angleshooting.

Why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Didnt Ciaran O Leary do the same thing in the Poker Million semi against Liam Flood? O Leary on the button pushed all in blind with AA before the flop was dealt. I'm not 100% though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Didnt Ciaran O Leary do the same thing in the Poker Million semi against Liam Flood? O Leary on the button pushed all in blind with AA before the flop was dealt. I'm not 100% though

No O'Leary was first to act

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

I dont see any angleshooting here on Doyles part.

Definitely some bending/breaking of the rules though.
    But who's gonna argue with the big man?

bout a month or so ago was playing in the riverside and one of the regs maurice did this on another reg stephen murphy, the dealer raybo said the bet wasnt binding because it was out of turn but maurice loses his action on this street. was big hulaballoo because maurice admitted it was an angeshoot

learn to type and punctuate :rolleyes:

it's a verbal declaration and is binding imo (no matter what your position), must have seen this at least a dozen times in live play.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

5starpool wrote: »
    Why do you think this?

IMO there are things that are acceptable in cash that are not permitted in tourneys e.g. 2 players all-in in a cash game don't have to turn up there cards.2 players all-in in a tourney do.

To me Doyle's action comes under "acting in the dark".I've seen one player warned by a TD against this in a tourney but I never heard of anyone being warned about this in a cash game.

I'm open to correction :).

Icarus152 wrote: »
    IMO there are things that are acceptable in cash that are not permitted in tourneys e.g. 2 players all-in in a cash game don't have to turn up there cards.2 players all-in in a tourney do.

To me Doyle's action comes under "acting in the dark".I've seen one player warned by a TD against this in a tourney but I never heard of anyone being warned about this in a cash game.

I'm open to correction :).

Maybe you missed this point, but Doyle did this out of turn, in the dark. This is not within the rules no matter what type of game it is. In turn you cannot be warned for acting in the dark in either format.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

I don't think the declaration should be binding as the flop had not been dealt. This is completely different to acting out of turn after the flop is dealt imo.

I think the dealer should make Doyle pull back his money and deal the flop. This is without doubt an angleshoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

betting out of turn is binding...well from what I've been led to believe. It is angleshooting imo as well, but since it was Doyle nothing is said.
    If Hellmuth did it then there would be a revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Anybody got a link to the hand in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

what would you expect Doyle to do? The pot is $5k or so and he had about $6k behind. Is there any chance he is not getting it all in on any flop? DN knows this, even without Doyle's friendly announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Actually I would say it probably is angle-shooting since he's bending the rules to gain an unfair advantage in the hand. He takes away Negreanu's right to act first and possibly make the same move which was probably his plan given stack sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

fixer wrote: »
    what would you expect Doyle to do?

Play by the rules maybe?
    fixer wrote: »
    The pot is $5k or so and he had about $6k behind. Is there any chance he is not getting it all in on any flop? DN knows this, even without Doyle's friendly announcement.

Completely irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

call it angleshooting or whatever the fact is he didn't abide by the rules and should have been given a warning etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

learn to type and punctuate :rolleyes:

it's a verbal declaration and is binding imo (no matter what your position), must have seen this at least a dozen times in live play.

I dont think it is binding.

There was an episode of High Stakes Poker where Sammy Farha had AA and Jamie Gold had KK.

Sammy was thinking of betting out on the river and Jamie just want the two of them just to check it down. Before Sammy bet Jamie said 'I call' loads of times, but if Sammy actually had bet, Jamie could have folded if he wished. (according to Gabe Kaplin anyhows)

Advertisement