Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IS THIS CONSIDERED DUMPING

• 12-12-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live in an estate in Co Cavan. At the front entrance of the estate someone keeps putting out their refuse bags for the truck. But before the truck comes on its round every dog, cat, rat and bird rips the bags apart and the rubbish is spread all over the place, on the public footpath and out as far as the road. The guys in the truck only pick up whats left of the bag and leave the loose stuff where it is.

Is this a potential form of dumping. I mean is the person leaving these bags out responsible for their rubbish until its collected. I've watched for who's doing it but have not seen anyone yet. One of the main problems is our bins are collected bi-weekly. Black bin one week and blue bin the next week so these bags could be there potentially up to 13 days. Children walking to school have to walk through this mess. It is a private estate but regardless whether it is or not it makes the whole estate look like a kip.

Can someone tell me what the best form of action would be? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi, I live in an estate in Co Cavan. At the front entrance of the estate someone keeps putting out their refuse bags for the truck. But before the truck comes on its round every dog, cat, rat and bird rips the bags apart and the rubbish is spread all over the place, on the public footpath and out as far as the road. The guys in the truck only pick up whats left of the bag and leave the loose stuff where it is.

Is this a potential form of dumping. I mean is the person leaving these bags out responsible for their rubbish until its collected. I've watched for who's doing it but have not seen anyone yet. One of the main problems is our bins are collected bi-weekly. Black bin one week and blue bin the next week so these bags could be there potentially up to 13 days. Children walking to school have to walk through this mess. It is a private estate but regardless whether it is or not it makes the whole estate look like a kip.

best course of action would be to contact local council, and ask that the litter warden comes and inspects on the days you know thuis is going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If your local collections are in bins then whoever is putting out bags could face prosecution for littering. I'd say you need to speak to the local authority, who can then send someone to look through the bags and look for identification (an envelope with an address on it for example). Then, whoever is doing it, would be looking at big fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I understand what you are saying but these are official refuse bags with the refuse company name on them. I have rang the local authority and am due a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I understand what you are saying but these are official refuse bags with the refuse company name on them. I have rang the local authority and am due a call.

The LA is responsible for the cleanliness of the streets, and if the "refuse company" is creating litter it is for them to pursue them. If someone is putting bags out for a private collector early, then again, that person is liable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Person putting out there rubbish shoul;dn't be doing it so soon, generally speaking the rules are no sooner then 7am on the morning of collection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fionn23

Try talking with your neighbour before getting the council involved. Explain what is happening. By getting the council involved you are likely to antagonise the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cabaal wrote: »
    Person putting out there rubbish shoul;dn't be doing it so soon, generally speaking the rules are no sooner then 7am on the morning of collection
    Exactly. Putting rubbish bags out the night before is just asking for trouble.

Advertisement