Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nvidia Dual Chip Cards

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im going mad to buy a new system but dont want get start buying till a new card is realeased i want the new nvidia on im not mad a bout ATi for some reason..... i heard they were announcing it on the 12th of december which is today!

anyone know anything?

P.s

Maybe i could use the evga stepup program, anyone used it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

As well as the GTX 295 (the card mentioned in the article by xbitlabs) there is another card to be released by Nvidia in Jan09, see txt below copied from an article on tweaktown

Two websites are reporting that NVIDIA will launch two brand spankin' new graphics cards on the first day of the International CES in Las Vegas on January 8th next month

The first is set to be the 55nm successor to the GTX 280 – the GTX 285 sees a die shrink, increased clock speeds, and probably reduced operating temperatures while still becoming most likely the fastest single GPU graphics cards on the market at that time.

The second, and what should ultimately take back the graphics performance crown for NVIDIA, is the GeForce GTX 295.

If the reports are to be believed, this will be a dual-GPU card based on two new 55nm GeForce GTX GT200 (240 core) GPUs. It is said that it will get 1792MB GDDR3 memory (2 x 896MB) on 896-bit memory interface.

At this stage, exact clock speeds and prices are unknown.

ive about 1700 quid spent on computer parts so far and im missing a grafix card.... i dont want to wait till january :(

Can't wait until January? It’s only a few weeks away!
    That said, the introductory prices on graphics cards are horrendous so you’d probably have to wait until February unless you enjoy throwing money away.
    I suppose you could try Evga's step up program and buy a GTX280 now and upgrade in Feb.

I was going to do that but never heard of anyone from ireland who has actually done it.

i normally buy from dabs or overclockers and assumed i had to buy directly from evga or something?

• Advertisement

Sorry man, I've never done it either nor know of anyone that has.
    Give them a mail and I'm sure they'll fill u in.
    stepup@evga.com

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im not mad about nvidia with all their card failures this year. and its widespread. consider an ati 4870x2 or something. much better prive to performance ratio anyway iirc.

Cheers alan will do...

Not mad on ATi for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you want the best card right now get the 4870X2.
    I switched to ATI after Nvidia's overpricing..
    Imagine it was €600 for the GTX280 and ATI crushed them when they released the 4870.
    Now the 280 can be got for under €400..granted Nvidia are making a loss on them but fcuk em..they've been ripping us off for years..so were ATI but they at least copped on and changed their strategy..

• Advertisement

i see what your saying overheal... not overly worried about that kind of thing given id have a warrenty...

wouldn be a great idea to buy the 4870x2 given the new nvidia will be out soon.

what would two 8800 ultras be like in sli vs the 4870x2 or GTX280? i can get two ultras for about 320 off ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

jetski wrote: »
    i see what your saying overheal... not overly worried about that kind of thing given id have a warrenty...

what would two 8800 ultras be like in sli vs the 4870x2 or GTX280? i can get two ultras for about 320 off ebay?
    Check tomshardware.com and go to the VGA charts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

1x GTX 280 is at least the same speed as 2x8800s while consuming a lot less power and less heat output as well not requiring SLI profiles to get the full benefit. The 280 also has a lot more RAM available to games than SLI 8800s and overclocks very well.

I got a 2nd hand EVGA GTX280 for about EUR275 from Hardforum.com Forsale section.

See more here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts_crysis/

Note that in their charts the "4870x2 Crossfire" is referring to two cards, ie 4 GPUs.

cool, cheer for that... dont suppose you wanna sell on your 280 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Nope, Im thinking 280s will drop in price in Jan with the new chips and Ill pick up another for even cheaper.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Alright. Just remember if it gives you ANY cheek that you RMA it away at least once before the end of the warranty.

Hope you didn't buy that gtx 280
    The GTX 295 is available on January the 8th
    See full review of the card here
    Looks impresive, and not too noisy either, may be tempted to upgrade from my 8800 GTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Hope you didn't buy that gtx 280
    The GTX 295 is available on January the 8th
    See full review of the card here
    Looks impresive, and not too noisy either, may be tempted to upgrade from my 8800 GTS

500 euro for a performance gain only on resolutions greater than 1900x1200? The 4870 is still the better choice

I did buy the 280 in the end... ive gone for the evga one and am now registered for the step up program so ill be upgrading to the 295 when its out and paying the difference so fingers crossed it goes ok. failing that ill off load it on adverts and take a bit of a hit either way im getting that 1792mb baby no matter what ;0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I did buy the 280 in the end... ive gone for the evga one and am now registered for the step up program so ill be upgrading to the 295 when its out and paying the difference so fingers crossed it goes ok. failing that ill off load it on adverts and take a bit of a hit either way im getting that 1792mb baby no matter what ;0

not sure I'd bother changing the 280, what with NVIDIA's horrible reputation when it comes to X2 cards... maybe add another in SLI when the price comes down a bit further?

what really annoys me about the 295 is the bandwidth in it. same amount of cores as the 280, but the bandwidth of a 260... that just seems bizarre...

I'm beginning to think one of the reasons NVIDIA remain so overpriced is because they have the ever increasing GPGPU market sewn up, CUDA's doing the business for them.

Fair enough, let us know how u get on using the step up program. If its quick and theres money to be saved it sounds almost too good to be true, strange EVGA are the only manufacturers out there doing it.

I had the 7950x2 with no issues at all... i really liked that card

I had my doubts about the step up program but everything seems good so far! fingers xed

Advertisement