Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr old ear piercing

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know where I could get my daughters ears pierced - other than piercing/tattoo parlours and with the needle option as opposed to the gun?
    I'm not keen on it but after years of saying no we agreed she could get it done when she's 11.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

best bet is to ask a mod to move this to the Bod Mod forum. in general, reputable piercers wont pierce 11 year olds, and irreputable piercers don't tend to use needles...

and there is a sticky in the Bod Mod forum as to why the guns should just never be used.

but ill let the other regulars of body mod add their views, etc, i could be wrong about not doing 11 year olds with parents present, if it's just the lobes, but dont quite think so. not sure, so ill leave it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Thanks. I checked with one of the piercing places and got some good information - basically they will not pierce (even ear lobes) anyone under 14. I was also told that if I really wanted to go ahead to use a chemist and most importantly ask if they would pierce ear rim or nose - if they say yes then don't consider getting it done there as the guns are not meant for this and so they are unhygienic and a risk of infection.

It has put me off, for sure...I remeber getting mine done in a chemist about the same age but I doubt they were piercing noses back then:D

I guess I'll have to break the news to her:(

well, check out this link on piercing guns anyway, some stuff you mightnt have thought of before...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287992

best of luck anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Jesus H :eek:

Thanks again, will definitely say no. Feel pretty stupid now and I just hate going back on my word with kids :o This was also for her birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

hepcat wrote: »
    Jesus H :eek:

Thanks again, will definitely say no. Feel pretty stupid now and I just hate going back on my word with kids :o This was also for her birthday...

Wouldnt it be considerably easier just to go into a studio, get it done there, with a nice clean needle, and have it over and done with then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

hepcat wrote: »
    Thanks. I checked with one of the piercing places and got some good information - basically they will not pierce (even ear lobes) anyone under 14. I was also told that if I really wanted to go ahead to use a chemist and most importantly ask if they would pierce ear rim or nose - if they say yes then don't consider getting it done there as the guns are not meant for this and so they are unhygienic and a risk of infection.

It has put me off, for sure...I remeber getting mine done in a chemist about the same age but I doubt they were piercing noses back then:D

I guess I'll have to break the news to her:(

so who pierces the ears of babies, I'm sure we've all seen the horror of babes in arms with ear-rings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Why don't you call a piercing place and let them know you're bringing your daughter in. When you get there they can explain the procedure and why they won't pierce her ears until she's 14. That way you're not going back on your word, you just simply can't get the procedure done.

I thought all jewellers do it? I took my 10 year old daughter to get her ears pierced during the summer. All over in a painless flash and earrings inserted instantly. When I think back to when I had it done at 10!!! OUCCCHHHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I had my ears pierced with a gun at 11 and I really, really wanted it. Looking at my crooked piercings 11 years later, I wish that my mum had known enough at the time to make me wait until I was old enough to get them done properly with a needle by a piercer :) Your daughter may be annoyed now, but she'll most likely thank you in the future for researching the process so thoroughly and making an informed decision with her wellbeing in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jewlers use guns which are not that safe or hygenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

I got mine done in Clares to see what it was like....no probs at all...actually i was so impressed with them, i bought my D Step Daughter to get hers done the week after...she is 11 and is sooo into choosing different colours, it really has made her proud of her appearance and what colours go with what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dont know how I stumbled across this but hey it's piercing advice.
    1)Guns are never hygenic. Ever.
    2)Guns cause blunt force trauma...Doesn't exactly have positive connotations for a reason.
    3) Those lil studs they pierce you with are not long enough to accomodate for swelling.

Basically guns are the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

3) Those lil studs they pierce you with are not long enough to accomodate for swelling.

Basically guns are the devil.

I got quite a few piercings done during my teenage years so had talked a lot to piercers.
    When I got my lobes done I was 9 and got it done in the local chemist. The stud they used was a special type that was hypo allergenic, sealed in it's case until it was used and also had a wider part near the top of the stud (wider than the normal studs) and a normal size bar at the end. This meant that the little butterfly thing that closes the stud couldn't be closed too tightly on the new piercing to accommodate for swelling.
    Then when I was 15 I got the top of my ear pierced while in Budapest (omg thinking back how dodgy that was...) with a gun and I can tell you it REALLY hurt.
    A year later I got a scaffold put in by a reputable piercer in Dublin. What was interesting was that even though it was two much much bigger than normal holes being put in cartilage, it didn't hurt too badly with the needle rather than the gun. I got talking to him and he basically said "Look, those guns were designed for tagging animals. They're absolutely fine for lobes once the right jewellery is used but they're very very dangerous for cartillage".
    Taking your daughter to Claire's or a chemist shouldn't be a problem. Lobes are difficult to get wrong. Once you're with her it should be fine, just make sure the jewellery is proper hypo allergenic stuff, sealed in its packaging and also has the double width (to prevent over tightening) it should be fine. Also make sure that whoever is doing it marks out where they're going to put the piercings and have a look to check it's completely symmetrical.

but please remember that the gun can't be cleaned properly, and can retain bits of people's flesh on it, which can, in turn, end up inside your daughter's ear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Ah for crying out loud, take her to Claires and get it done, its for her birthday! - and not a big deal.
    http://www.claires.com/earrings_landing.asp?top=f&bcid=ear&cid=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If you're going to get it done with a gun, at least go to a place like a jewellers or chemist where someone is likely to have been doing it for years. Do NOT go to claires and let some teenager do it.

Advertisement